Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

Chores won...but look what I found!

littlehelen_gw
9 years ago

Saturday morning I posted on the "are you quilting this weekend" that I wasn't sure if chores or sewing would win the day...for once I'm pleased chores won.

I'll try to make a long story short. In the process of my DH cleaning out his sister's storage unit last winter, we were the lucky (growl) recipients of 9 army footlockers and 3 trunks in assorted conditions. We finally got to the basement yesterday and opened up these packages. Most of the contents were Vietnam army uniforms along with army gear etc from my FIL...but one held old family quilts and hand embroidered pillowcases. My husband isn't sure who did these, but we think they were made by his Aunt Evelyn...she was born about 1918ish is our estimate and lived in Cisna Park Illnois. Cisna Park is a cross-road between farm land and a stop sign...not much else.

Anyway, most are all hand work, my two favorite follow. (Sorry I've not done all photos in one post yet...)
V.

Comments (23)

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another...warning...SBS makes an appearance!

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Oh, oh! Treasures!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Wow, V, what treasures you found! They look very fragile.

Donna

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

A reward for chores winning out! I love both of these! Lucky you!

Teresa

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

What a fantastic find. Those are both beautiful!
    Maybe Kate would be willing to tell us the how to post more than one route again. I don't remember what I did with the information last time she so kindly gave it.
    LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Linda, it's still on the Conversations page.
    You have to post your pictures to a site like Photobucket, then copy the HTML code from that page and paste it into your post here. Any changes you make to the Photobucket picture will show up here and if you delete it or move it there the link will be broken and it will not show up here.

Val, the quilts are a real treasure! How cool for Michael to have a connection from way back in his family with what you do!

Kate

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Thank you Kate. Don't have photo bucket, but maybe it will work from drop box. I'll test it out.
    LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I don't think it will unless you share the Dropbox folder with the whole forum. You need an internet address for the photos, not a location on your computer. Photobucket, picasa, flickr, snapfish - these are all photo sharing sites and all are free. Maybe you can do it from Pinterest but I'm not sure about that.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right Kate...I've just been lazy about my photobucket account...always a touch techno challenge, or techno lazy...;-)
    V.

• User
    9 years ago

The 9-patch and the embroidery quilts are both really beautiful.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

test

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

It worked yah! That wasn't 100% off topic because he was perched on the tree in front of a quilt shop on a 90+ Saturday in Folsom. The quilt shop operator used her cell phone, but I only had my iPad.
    LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Glad it worked!

• polardream
    9 years ago

What a fun find! And how lucky that they ended up with a quilter who will appreciate them.

Sue

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

oh V!!! I'm in total awe of your new-found treasures! Every time is see those embroidered pieces I die a few times! ...they are just soooo beautiful. (oh, and - before I forget...there are many treasures to be found in those old uniforms, too..I'm in the process of 'doing stuff' with military uniforms of family members...please don't let them go by the wayside.) If you don't want them, I do know those who would. (So many times guys don't realize what things will mean to others on down the road...)

• Robbi D.
    9 years ago

What a great reward for doing something you dreaded. Those are beautiful!!

Robbi

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Awesome quilts. Perhaps there is someone who can help identify the maker. At any rate, I would record the known history of them.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

These are priceless and you are lucky to have found them!
    What kind of condition are they? Hopefully they do not smell and you can display them.
    You may want to get them appraised.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good advice ...I never thought of having them appraised, thanks Marsha.
    Beverly, more good advice, but those who may have known are gone. There's a cousin or two on my DH side, I may try to track 'em down.

Yes...I do feel fortunate to have found these gems. They are in remarkable condition, although one, not in the picture, has lost the quilting threads, but the thread impressions are still very evident! Binding is frayed in spots, and a few lite yellow spots...but that's all!

It was special for me to share these with others who appreciate "these old quilts"

To think we almost took those 11 trunks to the dump.....yikes

V.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I recommend this local AQS Appraiser if you choose to get all or some appraised. She also wrote a book on Redwork .
    She is so interesting & knowledgeable, a lovely person and a member of our Guild.

Here is a link that might be useful: AQS Appraiser

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

Those are a great reword for passing up sewing to do chores.... I truly believe in checking everything out. I even open junk mail just in case I am missing something.
    I would agree about not discarding the army gear as well, treasures come in all kinds of packages.
    TFS

• User
    9 years ago

Lucky you! That nine patch looks like it's in great condition. I just glanced at the embroidery, didn't want to see you know who.

• redmary
    9 years ago

Just seeing the quilts. They are lovely, Val. What a wonderful surprise.