Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with Dresden Plate; you can see the darker colors of the

Posted by sylviatexas (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 12:59

petals beneath the yellow centers.

I'm very reluctant to take the sensible way out & use a darker color for the center;
the "plates" are crayola box colors of red, blue, green, & yellow prints, & the yellow centers are just perfect- except that you can see the darker material underneath-sort of like wearing black underwear under a yellow outfit!

I tried using 2 layers of fabric, but it was impossible to get a needle through the thickness.

I'd be grateful for a solution or hint or clue.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Dresden Plate; you can see the darker colors of

Sylvia, try pressing the seam towards the petals instead of towards the center. Or if that won't work, maybe you can press that seam open.

Donna

o

Good idea, Donna!

Or how about trying a yellow print for the center? That might obscure the seams enough so you don't notice them, but still give you the yellow center that you want.

Kate

o

You could line the center piece. Sew it to a piece of fusible interfacing, slit the interfacing and turn right side out. Then iron it to the center of the plate and applique on.

beverly

o

You could try using a layer of batting under the center. It might give a nice "poofy" effect as well.

o

Thanks for the great ideas!

I'll print them & take them home & play with them!

o

I always press my seams open like dressmakers do.
This also eliminates loose threads from darker fabrics showing up when it's way too late to do anything about it.
It gives a more even surface to quilt on...no big bumps to drive thru. Nice for both hand quilting and FMQ.
Bon
:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here