Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you quilting this weekend? July18-20

Posted by lindaoh (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:52

No sewing for me this weekend. My sewing room is almost packed and I can hardly walk through my house. Can't wait until this move is over!
I went to my quilt group last night, maybe for the last time. Very sad, but i took DD and her baby along for show and tell. Sami was is a very good mood and entertained the ladies. She is the main reason we are moving to Columbus.
Hopefully, my new sewing room will be set up soon and I can get back to quilting. What are you doing this weekend?
Linda OH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you quilting this weekend? July18-20

Linda, I know it's hard to leave a place that feels like home. Moving away from Baltimore 16 years ago was one of the toughest things I've ever done. But you'll be so glad to be closer to Sami!

I am taking off Monday just so I can get some quilting done! I should be getting a quilt back from the long armer this weekend so I can get the binding on. Plus I have WAY too many floundering projects. I need to pick one (or two) and get them finished!

Kate

o

Hope the rest of the move goes smoothly, Linda.

I practiced bargello on a very small scale and so I will quilt this on the weekend and play with glue basting as an experiment before I try it on a real quilt...

it's wonky, but that is why we practice first..... I had words with my machine about halfway through.... couldn't convince her that it was her job to pick up the bobbin thread and we fought for two hours, but I finally triumphed after threatening a trip to either the dealer or the land fill ; )

hope everyone has a good weekend!

o

It's Friday already? Where did my week go? We have just a hair over 3 weeks before school starts here in central Louisiana. With hubby's help this week we did a marathon day of shopping to get my son's school supplies, so all that's left to do is order some uniforms and clean out his desk drawers in his room and get that organized, and then label his supplies with his name. We got a lot of rain last night 4.25" of rain, but did not have really bad weather, but we lost power 4 times last night, so I hand-quilted on my parents' Card Tricks quilt by lantern light. I have 5 blocks (out of 100) left to hand-quilt as well as the border and then binding. I am getting so close to finishing it, I can see the end in sight. My cousin's wife is due to have baby #3 in September and I have completed some blocks for their baby quilt, but still have about 8 blocks I think to cut out and hand piece. But I am making such good progress on my parents' quilt, it's hard to set it aside to work on another project. I have not figured out how I want to quilt the 6" border on my parents' quilt, so once I get to that point, I may set it aside and then start working again on the baby quilt.

Linda it's exciting to hear you talk of moving, though it's sad leaving your quilting group behind. Having family near by really makes a home a home, and I know you will be overjoyed to be closer to your grandbabies. So I hope all goes smoothly with your move and I hope you really enjoy things once you do get moved and settled into your new home.

Bobby the Bargello quilt looks cool, but a little intimidating, .... I would have to layout something like that on a design wall to keep all the pieces straight for a large quilt and I really don't have much space for a design wall in my current space in my corner of the laundry room where I have my quilt / computer desk. I have tried to hang a large cotton backed table cloth in the laundry room, but with family constantly wanting to get into the storage cabinets in the laundry room, it got to be a pain to put it up and then constantly move it and take it down off and on, so I just put it away and stored it. Hoping later in my next home that I will have wall space dedicated to just being a design wall.

Best to you and yours,
Sandra

o

Here are two of my reasons for moving.

o

Aww, Linda, what a doll baby!

Bobby, the bargello is looking good! Always good to start with a small project. Before I made the large one I made a set of placemats. I'm happy to report they are still in use!

Sandra, it sounds like you had a real pioneer day! Glad the storms weren't too bad. We've been getting lots of lightning and thunder, and a good bit of rain.

I have another top almost finished, so plan to do that this weekend. Then I think I'll start a quilting marathon...this will be the fourth top in need of quilting. I don't usually do that; I'm pretty good about quilting tops right away.

Donna

o

Probably some. I finished the Bear's Claw top and now I've got to piece a backing and sandwich it. Haven't decided what to do with the quilting, though. Anyone out there seen a really good quilting treatment for this block pattern?

o

Aw Linda that are both beautiful, ... happy for you!

Best to you and yours,
Sandra

o

Linda, you could not ask for a better reason to move!

Sandra...I hope you pop a bottle of bubbly when you finish the card tricks quilt, you deserve it!

Bobby, Your Bargello looks good...bravo for giving it a go! They are very cool looking quilts and you are off to a good start. I tried the glue, but was not a fan, but that has to do with my patience. Others rave about it, good luck!

K8: You are missed!

I am hopeful to start the quilting on the quilt for my niece; the top is finished, the batting and back are cut ...just need to move to the next steps. I've been contemplating the FMQ I'm going to do...I'm anxious to try a design, leaves and flowers...need to practice before committing.

Happy sewing everyone!

V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 21:01

o

No sewing here. This is the weekend of the anniversary Open House. Family started arriving today, more tomorrow. Busy, busy. But oh so worth it.
Linda, good luck in your new home and more luck wished for the sale of the current one. Beautiful family to be near.
Bobby, I have never tried Bargello but may give it a whirl. I like the idea of doing place mats first.
Theresa

o

Bobby, love the Bargello and the story!

Linda, they're both beautiful and worth a move. I'd probably drive my kids nuts if I ever got any grandchildren.

Happy sewing this weekend everyone.

I got the pieces cut out for a class in a couple of weeks. Today I went to the quilt exhibit at the Crocker museum and this gave me a few more ideas for an all over quilt design for my son's quilt. I've been perusing all the free motion sites, but can't seem to get down to actually setting up the machine.
Maybe tomorrow.....
LindaB/CA

o

Linda - two great reasons for a move. What a darling!!

Bobby, you are doing a great job on bargello!
Sandra - good for you getting your son ready for school. Not teaching anymore is bittersweet for me. I loved teaching and was so excited when the school year started. I am glad I get to sub once in a while at my old school.

I am getting a chance to sew this weekend - YEAH! I have almost finished the FMQ on a stack and slash UFO. Hubby has a bike ride in the morning so I am hoping to sew while he is gone. If I get it finished, I need to start cutting and sewing 15 vests for our Lions club and 5 aprons. That will take me a while, glad I don't have a deadline!

Have a great weekend!
Sue

o

Kate and Donna, have you heard of a quilt shop in Kissimmee called Heartfelt?

I just learned about them and apparently they have classes and and an embroidery club and sit and sew... the other places are at least an hour from me and I just can't stand the thought of driving that far on a day off... but I need social sewing! I'm going to check them out soon and see what I think, but I was curious if either of you had been there or heard of it?

o

I might do a little today, DH and DS are going to the shooting range. (Wanted to know if I wanted to go - LOL!) I need to find a very patient woman who is an expert and get some one-on-one training, guns scare me to death and I need to get over that since we live in the boonies. But men don't relate to that. It's still too sloppy outside from all the rain so I have no choice but to sew. (Never mind that I could be cleaning or laundering, shhh, don't tell anyone.)

o

Bobby, I remember hearing a while back that a new shop was opening in Cowsimmee...must be that one! I may have to make a trek down there and check it out. :) Hubby told me he'll be working next Sat. so I can sneak down there. LOL

Rita, you're in FL, right? Where do you live? Not too many "boonies" left down here. :)

o

Littlehelen not sure how yet I will celebrate once I get their quilt finished which I started making in 2009, but I will definitely in some way celebrate when I finish this quilt. :-) Thanks Sue... I just need to get his desk drawers in his room cleaned out and reorganized, maybe will do that next week, as I am sure he has some unused supplies in his desk left over from last year that he can put to use this year. I had planned to get so much more done this summer, but now with only approx. 3 weeks until school starts, well this summer has just flown by and other than getting stuff done on my parents' quilt haven't gotten a lot else done. This is my son's last year in elementary school, he is growing up so fast.

Best to you and yours,
Sandra

o

Oh why put off for tomorrow, what can be done today .... my son's desk drawers are now cleaned out and re-organized and I threw away some stuff. And labeled all his school supplies. Yay! :-) Glad that's done.

Best to you and yours,
Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 16:54

o

I worked on quilting Mom's quilt yesterday...got about 1/2 of one border done. Said like that, it doesn't sound like much, but this 'border' drops from the edge of the bed to the floor!

Might go down soon and do some more, but am in 'camping' mode. Leave on Wed with 4 kids to camp for 5 days! Have to pull out tents, and gear, and then bake a couple of batches of brownies, shop for food, pack, etc.

I'll be busy for the next few days!

o

Yes I live in Central Fl. For those not familiar with FL, it's not all beaches and Disney and wealthy tourists. There's still a lot of "boonies" and open land, farms, ranches and wilderness. And plain ol' country folk who raise gardens and chickens and drive pick-em-up trucks and shoot guns. I've lived both worlds and prefer the one I'm living in now. And although I would not have a problem defending myself in a bad situation, I would probably shoot myself before I could dispense with a rattlesnake, roving pit bull or a 2-legged predator so I need to do something to deal with that.

o

Rita, I grew up in Lakeland, so I prefer the pine woods, lakes and pastures, too! We live in Winter Garden now, and I hate going into the "big" city Orlando. Don't do it very often! LOL

Theresa, I hope your anniversary celebration is going well!

Donna

o

It's hot and humid here in Minneapolis today, so I'm sandwiching my Baby Honu quilt. I bought the pattern and fabric for this lap quilt 2.5 years ago in Hawaii; I pieced the turtles last year in Hawaii and did the Snail Trail blocks later this last winter. I had been putting off trying to quilt it on my DSM, but now that I have my Tiara, I'm ready to go. I found the tourquoise thread I needed at an on-line shop called Quiltin4Fun.com. I called the owner with a question, and she was a great help and also recommended some sites to help in my FMQ. The thread was several dollars cheaper than I had found elsewhere, and it was at my house in 2 days. Wow! Talk about customer service.

I've also been working on my niece's wedding quilt. I just have to add the sashing and borders, and that top will be ready to quilt. I haven't decided whether to do it myself or send it to my LAQ.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

o

I haven't been to Heartfelt so I'll have to check it out. My favorite spot in town is Wandering Stitches; it's on the east side at Hoffner & Semoran. They're running a special this month on longarm services too: 1penny/square inch for edge-to-edge designs.

Bobby, have you ever been to The Quilt Place in Rockledge? It's worth the trip!!!

Kate

o

Yeah, Kate, Wandering Stitches is my Bernina dealer! Went to a sit and sew there several weeks ago... they just won rookie of the year at Bernina University! If they service other brands, I may start taking my Brothers there too... The Sewing Studio is such a drive and I get lost going there and want to support Wandering Stitches as much as I can....

I've not been to the place in Rockledge, but have heard good things about it....

o

Here's what I've done this weekend: I tried a different paper pieced Mariner's Compass. I really like this one!
 photo photo_zps01ae9e3a.jpg

It's 12" square. I'll be using it as a focal point in a small quilt I'm working on. These compass patterns are so much fun because it's an opportunity to mix a lot of fabrics.

Kate

o

Gorgeous!
LindaB/CA

o

Kate, that is beautiful! How many sections are there to put together?
Theresa

o

Wow, Kate, that is very cool!

Donna

o

I'll post pictures when the quilt is done. This compass takes 8 sections. It's another Carol Doak creation. VERY easy!

o

Kate, it's just lovely! I've used Carol Doak paper piecing patterns before and I really like them... I've found them easy to use and very attractive. Without even knowing it, you are the one who turned me on to paper piecing in the first place... Your main machine was in the shop and you posted something that you did with the Featherweight and I really liked it and started experimenting on my own and I totally love it now... thanks!

I called Heartfelt today to get some information and they were very friendly on the phone... they have a free Sit and Sew on Mondays and one on Tuesdays that you pay 5 dollars for and it's called a "work shop"... you work on your own project, bu they are available to offer assistance... They have a monthly embroidery club and I asked if they had the designs in the format that my machine takes (because they are a Janome dealer, I didn't know if they'd have Bernina formats), and they said they do, so I may go to that if I'm off for the next one... I forgot to ask if I have to bring my own stabilizer or fabric, but hopefully, I can make it to a sit and sew before then and ask those questions in person.... I also forgot to ask if you just show up, or if you register in advance... I should really write a list of questions before I call places!

o

Kate, it's just lovely! I've used Carol Doak paper piecing patterns before and I really like them... I've found them easy to use and very attractive. Without even knowing it, you are the one who turned me on to paper piecing in the first place... Your main machine was in the shop and you posted something that you did with the Featherweight and I really liked it and started experimenting on my own and I totally love it now... thanks!

I called Heartfelt today to get some information and they were very friendly on the phone... they have a free Sit and Sew on Mondays and one on Tuesdays that you pay 5 dollars for and it's called a "work shop"... you work on your own project, bu they are available to offer assistance... They have a monthly embroidery club and I asked if they had the designs in the format that my machine takes (because they are a Janome dealer, I didn't know if they'd have Bernina formats), and they said they do, so I may go to that if I'm off for the next one... I forgot to ask if I have to bring my own stabilizer or fabric, but hopefully, I can make it to a sit and sew before then and ask those questions in person.... I also forgot to ask if you just show up, or if you register in advance... I should really write a list of questions before I call places!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here