Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

Tornado!

vicky4x4
11 years ago

We got hit by the tornado! People and house are ok, trees and gardens are a loss....We got a bit of water in the house but really we are ok. The whole neighborhood is a MESS!!!! We have no power, I'm at my MIL's now using my laptop. I don't think we will have power for a while with all the lines down.

I don't know when I'll be able to get back on to see you all.

Please keep us in your prayers.

Vicky

Comments (23)

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

I am so sorry, but thankful that you are OK. Things can be replaced, but people can't. Take care and get back to us when you can. Will remember you in my prayers. Hugs!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Oh Vicky! It sounds like, in the midst of disaster, you were very lucky! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

• lola99
    11 years ago

Vicky, thank you for letting us know you are okay! We will definitely pray for you and your family.

Lola

• nannykins
    11 years ago

If you need ANYTHING, let us know!
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Vicky, So glad you and family members are ok and your house is ok, too. Hope you have a generator for your fridge/freezer and extra water. Water is one of the things we always try to keep on hand. Sounds like the chain saws will be buzzing and lots of firewood piled up for winter. You have our prayers and support. Please keep in touch when you can.

SharonG/FL-IN

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Thank goodness you are OK!! Lots of prayers headed your direction :-)

Robbi

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Vicky, Are you in the Elmire arer? We drove through there a little while before the bad weather starting out on our trip south. Difficult to believe tornados in in our state. I am so sorry that it has caused you so much harm but thankful you are not hurt. Our area has been crying for rain but not the kind that came your way. God Bless and hope things improve soon.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Thank goodness your family is safe!

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

So glad you are OK and at least the house isn't damaged. We had one come through here, I was so frightened by the trees bending halfway over and twisting around and around, the only thing I could do was hide in the closet. Thankfully it didn't touch down. There are no cellars here in Florida because of the low altitude and high water table. I guess we should have had a shelter built but didn't think of it.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I remember how the ones that ripped through Central Florida in February 1998 sucked people out of their homes and threw them in tree.

We never took them seriously 'cause no one had been killed in a tornado in 100 years. Now they scare me!

I'm so glad to hear you and your family are safe.
    Rosa

As Rita mentioned there are few safe places to hide.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Vicky, I so glad you and your family are safe. Here in Minnesota tornadoes are pretty common, but they are always frightening. We had one just miss our house in 2009. It was a small one, but it came across the bay behind our house. When it hit the water, our house was sprayed with lake water from the funnel. Then it turned north and completely missed us - just a couple of branches down.

It is so disheartening to have your neighborhood all torn up and to have to leave your home. My heart goes out to you. Lois

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Tornadoes are so scary. We used to see them all the time at my grandparent's house in Illinois. Never hit their house but you could see the damage in nearby communities. Glad that you and your family are okay. I will keep you and your community in my prayers.

Mary

• mollie_booklover
    11 years ago

So glad you and the family are okay! We live in
    Tornado Alley here in NW Arkansas and the sirens go off way too often. Always nerve-wracking, but lucky so far.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

My heart goes out to you and your family; you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    V.

• polardream
    11 years ago

Vicky,
    I am so glad that you and your family are safe with only minor damage to your house. I know that it is devastating - having your gardens and yard destroyed. Fifteen years ago this coming Sunday we were flood victims - 3+ feet of water in our house. We weren't hurt, thank goodness but it a hard task doing cleanup from natural disasters.

Is there anything we can do to help other than pray? You know that we are here and will help in whatever way we can.

Stay safe and prayers coming your way,
    Sue

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I'm so glad you are all safe. We're all holding you in our prayers.

• mnbobbi
    11 years ago

Hello Vicky,

I'm new here, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm glad your family is safe. I've never been in the middle of a tornado, but it must be a traumatic experience. Wherever you are, you are on my prayer list, and I hope your community comes together and recovers quickly from this.

Barbara

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you and your family are ok!

That must have been terrifying!

Thx for writing,
    Gwen

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you had such a frightening experience,but am also glad there were no injuries. The strange weather is throwing everyone off. Being from Indiana, I'm used to tornados, if there is such a thing. Trying to get my 85 year old mother down the basement stairs in a hurry was a sight to behold. The first time she just froze on the steps and it took forever. I told my husband if the tornado had actually hit our home we would have been goners. So next time my son just scooped her up and carried her down the stairs. LOL It hit a block away.

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

So glad everyone is ok. And that your house was spared.
    Hope everything gets back to normal soon.
    prayers for you.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you and your family were not injured. Hope clean-up goes quickly in your neighborhood. Will keep you and yours in my prayers.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

In Australia we don't have Tornados. We have Cyclones that originate over the ocean and then cross onto land. As I live 300km inland, cyclones never reach me. I do hope you will be able to get back to your home ASAP and get on with te clean up. Glad you and your family are all safe

Kristene

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are back on the grid!
    Tornadoes in upstate New York are not all that common but the last few years we have had them.
    I can not believe the destruction.
    The trees are cleaned up and the garden wasn't hit as hard as I first thought.
    Thank you for you prayers.
    Vicky