Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Who is sewing this weekend? 7/7 - 7/8

msmeow
11 years ago

Well, Saturday is half over and nobody started a weekend thread! Linda must be busy. :)

I'm trying to get motivated. I've spent the last 3 days painting our spare bedroom and doing necessary chores, like washing the windows. This morning DH & I put the furniture in place in the bedroom and I need to make the new bedskirt for the bed. So far I've gotten the fabric out of the closet and on to the ironing board. That's a start, right?

Laundry is almost finished and I just had lunch, so maybe now I can get into the bedskirt project. It's not like it will take long - it's only rectangles!

Is anybody else sewing this weekend?

Donna

Comments (19)

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Me, me, me. Taking a break from piecing and decided to FMQ an old UFO top to use for a gift. Should be able to show you a picture in a few days.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I am grabbing an hour here and there. We are near 100 degrees here, and the sewing room isn't air-conditioned. When the iron is plugged in, it gets so hot you'd expect Lucifer to peek out from behind it. I'm sewing a baby quilt top for my first g'grandchild who is due around Christmastime. I know better than to put off stuff, because it gets old waiting to the last minute and then working to a deadline. Fell in love with another of Kate's lotto block choices. This one the Dutchman's puzzle. Using Bonnie Hunter's technique, and man does it go fast and accurate with almost no waste.

• day2day
    11 years ago

This morning we woke up to thundershowers.
    Now we have heavy drizzle, fog and the wind seems to have picked up quite a bit.
    Since I couldn't get at my garden, I went to the sewing room(also known as the dining room).
    I cut out fabric for 12 nine-patch blocks.
    I made the 9 patch blocks and cut them for a disappearing nine-patch.
    So I now have 48 units. I was sure that I wouldn't get near the sewing machine for at least another week!
    Of course now I have a project that may well become a UFO!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Calliope, you must be super excited about the grandbaby.

~Geraldine

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

No sewing for me. All the kids and the only grandson are home. DD and I went to the LQS yesterday and that is as close as I will get to quilting.
    We will probably get in the pool this evening. It's too hot in the afternoon for the baby to be outdoors.
    Linda OH

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Maybe tomorrow. Today I had a bunch of laundry to catch up on, my back's been out for nearly 3 weeks now and so I put on an old back-brace that I used to have to wear at a job years ago and it helps. Yesterday I pickled beets and onions. I had put in an order for a box of beets at the local farm and although I didn't feel like doing it, I had to do something with them. It was half a bushel, and when I got the box home and saw how much was there I went "OH, @#$%!!!" I pickled 10 quarts and one pint of beets and made some Vidalia onion relish since I can't find it in the stores anywhere. That was pretty hard on the back, hefting large pots full of water and jars around, thank goodness for the back brace.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Yummy beets! Good for you!

I am sewing this weekend, in between chores and laundry. I'm a fabric magnet lately - last week a friend gave me lots of nice quilting fabric she decided she wasn't going to use and yesterday another friend gave me 3 bags of Waverly samples. All of it needed washing so I've been busy doing that. The Waverly isn't good for quilting, but it's great for other projects; I've already made a new dog bed cover and a big pillow for the family room sofa.

Tomorrow I hope to finish cutting out the pieces for the QOV.

Have a great weekend!
    Kate

• polardream
    11 years ago

I worked on making a few squares to complete a charity quilt last night - it started raining here yesterday afternoon and poured most of the night. I should have spent time pulling weeds today, but walked the dog a couple times instead. The clouds have rolled back in and we are bracing for round 2 of the thunderstorms -- back to the sewing room for me - YAHOO!! We are expecting rain tomorrow too.

Sue

• msmeow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I guess I'm a little motivated...I ironed my bed skirt fabric and sewed a hanging sleeve on a wall hanging. :)

Donna

• finchelover
    11 years ago

My daughter is in town for a wedding but this morning we went out and pulled up more Queen ann's lace and after she cut some seedling down I had the job of b;rushing the tops with Roundup
    While she is at the wedding I will do some adding strips on my squares. It is 107 here and hummidty was terrible this morning on. SEnd us some rain need it bad the crops are really looking bad.

• finchelover
    11 years ago

My daughter is in town for a wedding but this morning we went out and pulled up more Queen ann's lace and after she cut some seedling down I had the job of b;rushing the tops with Roundup
    While she is at the wedding I will do some adding strips on my squares. It is 107 here and hummidty was terrible this morning on. SEnd us some rain need it bad the crops are really looking bad.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I am making "crazy" quilt blocks this weekend. It's been a cleaning house weekend so far, so have not gotten much sewing done, have mostly been cutting fabric in between loads of laundry.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Today I went with my mom to pick up my Viking from it's tune-up. We first stopped at a Fresh Market to get some special groceries to get us through this heat -- about 100F here today with the same expected tomorrow.

I'm cutting fabrics to take projects up to the NC mountains when we go Friday. Our round robin group is going up for 4 days of sewing, quilting, and yakking our heads off. I can't wait!

Teresa

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I've sewn two blocks for the July lotto - but I can't justify running the air conditioner out in my very hot garage studio.

I can sew for an hour or so in the morning, then I would feel the guilt of energy wastage, LOL. I hope to get a third lotto block done tomorrow.

I want RAIN! Soothing, cooling rain, would be so lovely - sigh.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

After doing some much needed weeding in on of my flower gardens, I'll be able to do some sewing later this afternoon. I'm still working on my woven quilt. It's a little time-consuming, but anything worth doing is worth doing right, right? Lol! While I was having my fabric cut for it yesterday I showed my one finished block to one of the workers and wound up giving an impromptu class at joanns. It was very cool, I must say. And quite a lift to my spirits, yes sir!
    Okay, I'm off to make breakfast, then into the garden I go!
    Dan

• karpet
    11 years ago

Geraldine - the dining area is also my sewing space! What a great DH I have that he does not complain.

I did some more quilting on Fri. eve. - I want to get this one done and get the binding on it so I can sew it down by hand. I quilting part is my least favorite part (although I do like it more now than I used to) but it is always tempting to set the project that is being quilted to the side and work on piecing again. But I want to finish some things! I have four more quilt tops ready to be finished when I get the quilting done on the current one.
    Karlene

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

If we can include Friday, then I got to sew this past weekend!! It has been ages since I had the better part of the day to do nothing but sew!! I did have to shuffle kids around a little and make them some lunch, but it was very quiet for the most part. My dh went with a friend to pick up a new truck in NC and didn't get home until 10pm. It was soooo nice. Saturday we took the boat out and Sunday after church we took the kids to see Brave. Wonderful movie if you haven't seen it.

I'm planning a camping trip for my Girl Scout troop for next weekend, so not much sewing this week or next weekend.

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

I didn't touch my machine this weekend. My DD did a bit of sewing though. She is making her first quilt and is very excited about it. She is already planning her second quilt. We went to the LQS on Friday and she bought fabric for a Storm at Sea quilt. She ordered a book and specialty ruler and had it delivered to our house. It arrived the day she got here. I am planning a Storm at Sea too but I am going to use a different ruler and pattern. So much fun!
    Linda OH

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Fnished 2 baby (almost twin) quilts. Pictures to follow after I take some.

beverly

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

I sewed, but not on a quilt.... my work pants for my 2nd job fell apart on me! The entire leg seam ripped out. It was straight stitched with a chain stitch and I guess it got snagged in the washer because when I took them out of the dryer and put them on, my leg stuck out up to the knee! I was really shocked that they'd use a chain stitch instead of a locking stitch and that they didn't serge the edge at all... I sewed a straight seam and then overcasted the edge with my machine and it's not going anywhere now :o)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm