Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

New! Morning Star Quilt for Auction

teresa_nc7
14 years ago

Here is the top of Morning Star quilt that will be auctioned off next year to benefit our area Girl Scout Council. They are letting us rent their headquarters for 3 days in October of 2010 for our quilt show. Part of our contract states that we must provide a fund raiser to benefit the area council.

To by-pass any brou-ha-ha in our guild, I suggested that the three of us (who are the 2010 quilt show chairmen) make and donate the quilt that will be auctioned off with all the proceeds going to the GS council. Then no one in the guild can raise a contemptuous issue concerning the auction. We will also offer the scouts their own mini show, have workshops to teach them quilting skills, and have them participate in the three days of the show. Their Learning Center is a perfect place to have our show and they are already talking about the 2012 show - so it seems to be a perfect pairing!

I made the top using the pattern in my Nickel Quilts book and I am donating all the fabric purchased. Of course, it is scrappy so I used up lots of charm squares and my own fabric scraps. My friend Gerry will do the quilting and our friend Keren will put on the binding. This is the third or fourth Nickel quilt I have made and I do like the technique very much.

Comments (16)

• damascusannie
    14 years ago

Love it! What a great stash-busting design.

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

That is beautiful Teresa!! Sounds like a win win situation to me.
    I have 2 of Pat's books and I have yet to make one. I don't know why since I love the quilts.
    Rosa

• lots2do
    14 years ago

Wow! What a cheerful quilt! I even see some Girl Scout Green in it. (At least what was G.S.Green back when I was a scout).
    This sounds like a perfect arrangement for both your guild and the Scouts.
    I love the pattern - seems very modern to me.
    Thanks for sharing,
    lots2do

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Teresa, Looks like you've had your sewing machine humming! What a great quilt for the auction! You're probably sighing with relief your part is over....at least on this quilt. @:)

Sharon

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

That's such a nice quilt. It's bound to bring in lots and will appeal to all tastes. Good job.

I love to see people encouraging the young to quilt.

• calliope
    14 years ago

That's a 'wow' quilt, for sure. I really love it, and copied a pic of it for inspiration someday.

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

My kind of quilt. I have one of the books but must not be that one as I could find the pattern. Love the border. You have sparked my interest. It should be a winner for the GS and your guild. TFS. Jayne

• biwako_of_abi
    14 years ago

Downright gorgeous!

• User
    14 years ago

This pattern is my #1 next quilt. I've vowed not to start another quilt until I have every single UFO completed.

I love the pattern and seeing a fresh picture has me even more determined to get my other projects completed.

I think it's great how you've involved the Girl Scouts. I was a Brownie and progressed to a Junior and learned a ton of useful skills that I still use today.

Thanks for posting your beautiful top, you've inspired me!

Dianne

• salijo
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Love the bright colors.
    Salijo

• fran1523
    14 years ago

That is one beautiful way to use charm squares Teresa. Will we see Gerry and Keren at Camp Cheerio this year?

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They have asked about it, Fran, and I told them the date. Keren is going to Italy in September and our group is invited to Gerry's mountain house the weekend after the Camp Cheerio retreat.

• love2sew
    14 years ago

What a lovely quilt. I love all the bright cherry colors.
    Jean

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

That is a beautiful quilt, Teresa! Seems you by passed a lot of issures and will benefit the GS too!

TFS,
    Gwen

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope so, Gwen! We had a major uproar in the guild this past fall of '08 when it was decided by the show committee to donate part of the silent auction proceeds to breast cancer. I was not present for that decision (thank goodness) but I do believe such a decision should have been put to a vote before the guild members at a meeting. Several people left the guild and did not rejoin this year. By the three of us making and donating the Girl Scout auction quilt, no one can complain that the guild will suffer any losses and we did not ask anyone to help us with this quilt. But our contract with the council is fulfilled.

• wendyfaye
    14 years ago

Great looking quilt Teresa, it reminds me of my 'Dinky Stars' which I just got back in the frame. Say hi to Gerry and Keren for me.

Faye