Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19701414

QOTD: Interfacing Applique Question

User
9 years ago

I would like to learn to do applique with finished seams instead of raw edges. I saw on Eleanor Burns' quilt tv show that she sewed the right side of a piece of fabric to the right side of some kind of interfacing and then cut a small hole in the middle of the interfacing and then flipped it all inside out leaving a finished edge / hidden seam. I have never used interfacing. What kind of interfacing do you use for finished seam applique? When you iron it does it adhere to the larger block you are say sewing the applique flower to, does it have an iron on side that bonds to a larger block/piece of fabric? When you iron the finished applique flower piece on your ironing board to flatten it, when you use interfacing is it going to stick to the ironing board? Would love some feedback on interfacing and am curious as to what stores you buy your interfacing at.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 11:52

Comments (12)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Sandra, I have used the lightweight fusible interfacing and the technique that Eleanor teaches. I also have used some crappy thin muslin instead of the fusible and it all works well for me. I don't iron the fusible piece until it's placed on the fabric. Finger pressing is enough for me. Depends on my mood. :-)

SharonG/FL-IN-IL-IN

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Sharon. Does fusible interfacing usually come in a package or on a bolt like fabric?

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 16:49

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

It's on a bolt and available in many thicknesses. But remember interfacing only works on simple shapes, like circles, you can easily turn inside out smoothly. If you have a complicated pattern with little sticky-out shapes (that's a technical quilting term!) the interfacing makes it bulky and hard to finish neatly.

I love to applique. I applique constantly and after trying lots of techniques, still prefer ironing on my pattern shape with freezer paper and finger pressing the seam allowances under before starting to sew it down. It gives a nice finished edge with less bulk. I took a class once where they just outlined the shape with a marker and finger pressed the seam allowances under using the line as a guide. I think the paper pattern makes it easier but both work.

Hope this helps.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Toolgranny thanks for your feedback, I am not familiar with using freezer paper for applique --- how does that work exactly? Do you iron with fabric on top or freezer paper on top - will the freezer paper stick to the iron? Does the freezer paper permanently stick to the fabric and if so do you sew down your applique piece with the freezer paper underneath and sewn down as well?

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 10:57

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Sandra, the freezer paper has wax on one side that makes it temporarily adhere to the fabric. It's not a fusible like the interfacing.

I've tried the interfacing method you mentioned, and I wasn't crazy about it. I find it much easier to use the needle turn method.

Donna

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Donna. Later this year I want to give the interfacing applique method a try and see if I like it or not. My sister is wanting some framed quilt blocks for Christmas to use in her guest bedroom, so am considering doing one applique flower block.

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

I usually use needle turn applique technique but have tried EB's technique which worked well for large items eg. bunnies on a baby quilt. I used regular light wt. interfacing but have experimented with fusible. Worked but I didn't find it an advantage. I also tried using used dryer sheets which worked quite well and cheep....

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks nanajayne ........ so is there 2 types of interfacing a fusible one and one that if you iron it it does not bond to anything? I am hoping I can find interfacing at Walmart as that store is close by where I live.

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Yes, Sandra, it's called sew-in interfacing and it comes in several weights, too. You'll find it in the garment notions area.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Donna.

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I have used the lightweight fusible interfacing for simple applique. It did work well for that, but agree it wouldn't work for complicated patterns. My WalMart does have it in packages and it isn't too expensive.

beverly

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Beverly. Walmart is only 2 towns away and more convenient to travel to, whereas Hobby Lobby is farther away in Alexandria and I don't get there as often. I'll look for some the next time I am in Walmart.

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH