Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amazingcm

stack n whack finished

amazingcm
16 years ago

This is the stack and whack I started in my class last weekend. I added the borders and mini stack n whacks.. I love it only wish now I would have used a thin black sashing before the final border. But I am not taking it apart..Now anyway... grace

Comments (25)

• amazingcm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

fabric I used for stack n whack.

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Beautiful, you did a great job. I have the book and I have wanted to try the block but I haven't found material I thought would be suitable yet.
    Rosa

• lizh5
    16 years ago

It is gorgeous, I love the fabric you used.
    Liz

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

I love the Stack and Whack quilts! I've made one, and have fabric set aside for two more. One of my friends is making those "One Block Wonders" - kind of the same method, but all the blocks butt up against each other, and I have to say, some of those are pretty, but I really prefer the S & W look, with setting space in between. That is really beautiful fabric, and I bet it was fun to see the different blocks emerge. Maybe you could applique-sort of - a narrow black strip but it looks good too the way it is.

• anjea
    16 years ago

That looks awesome Grace! Great job!

• noocha
    16 years ago

WOW! It is so amazing that you can get all those different blocks out of the same fabric. You did good. I understand what you mean about the thin black sashing. That would really set it off wouldn't it? But it's gorgeous just the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing.
    Linda in MS

• sew_self-taught
    16 years ago

Wow Grace, that really turned out great! I think I want to make one now.

Nina

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Yowza! That is beautiful, and I love the smaller blocks set into the border, too. S&W quilts are fascinating. I have just started cutting for my first one.

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

It really turned out nice.
    What if you couched some black piping or cord next to the border?

• Aunt_Net
    16 years ago

Grace, it turned out great! I do like the greens and glass's idea of adding some couching or piping.
    Can't wait to see what you do to finish it.

• maggie_sue
    16 years ago

What a wonderful quilt top!! On my to do list for sure!

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

Grace , I love it !!
    Love the fabric you chose too .
    Now, I think your right about the thin black border . I would take the time to do it , its not to late plus you will love it .
    JMO
    betty

• fran1523
    16 years ago

What beautiful fabric that is. It certainly made a stunning quilt. Can't wait to see it finished.

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Stack 'n Wack are real fun quilts and I love the fabric you picked with the large and small prints. You quilt is beautiful with the 2 size blocks...I wouldn't change a thing.
    Jean

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

That is really stunning.

If you want that thin black border, I agree w/ scraphappy -- you could applique it on. Maybe even bias tape, unless that os too thin.

Either way it's downright gorgeous!

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Love it. Isn't it fun to see the new designs pop up when you sew the pieces together all from the same material!!

• redpenny
    16 years ago

The quilt is beautiful!
    Red

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

Really stunning. I must have a go one day. I've never tried one. How much fabric did you need for that many blocks? Is it very wasteful?

• maryliz
    16 years ago

I like your eight bladed pinwheels.

• crafteedee
    16 years ago

Looks awesome! From 1 stack-n-whacker to another. :)

• wendyfaye
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!!

Faye

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

I love it! And I also like how your blocks are pieced. I'm working on one from a class and ended up with plates similar to Dresdens that now need to be appliqued down to a background. I'm making progress, but since it's not what I really like to do, it's easily set aside! I have 3 more large and 8 smalls to do. Best get to it, I guess!

Fantastic job!! Any idea how it'll be quilted?

• lucyh_quilts
    16 years ago

That looks beautiful, Grace. I am always amazed at how different each block will look. I have only made one and I gave it to my daughter. The problem I had was finding a suitable fabric design to use. I was told to find one that had at least 12" drop.

• sandra_ferguson
    16 years ago

Man, that is impressive.......and, I think it great as is.

• amazingcm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took the borders off last night it took 3 hours of ripping. And can you believe I do not have enough solid black in the house to make a small sashing... So when I get to town I will finish it up... Not sure how it will be quilted. I will probalby send it out this fall. My quilter is gone for a few weeks..
    I spent a lot of time and worry on the fabric choice but, in the class I took there were about 20 of us and everyone had something different and they all turned out great.. My fabric was a 11 and 5/8 repeat and I had to make two stacks but the ladies with a 13 inch or larger only had to make one. I did have a lot of extra fabric. That is why I made the small ones for the border. They told us there is no such thing as waste it is just extra stash.HAHA... Thanks for all the complements. I like this and have found fabric for two more quilts.. Of course they are in my stash for now... grace