Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

QOTD July 3rd, what favorite types of fabric

toolgranny
12 years ago

Vicky's question made me think about types of fabrics I use most. I went through a love of homespun plaid prints and have used 30s and Civil War repro stuff. I also hand dye to make a certain pattern and love the batiks that are solids looking like hand dyes, when I need a solid. My stash has a little of everything now.

But, I think my most current favorites are batiks. What is your current favorite types of fabrics you're working with these days?

Comments (19)

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

It is difficult to pick a favorite as my taste change but it is toss up between batiks and Moda prints at the moment.

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Wow, that is a hard question because I love some many different fabrics. I have been collecting both 30's and batiks. I know what I want to make with the batiks and have been collecting lighter colors this year. As far as the 30's, I still don't know what I am doing with them but I just love them.
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Now that I've finished my 1930s quilt maybe I can finally get over the 3 year love affair I've had with those fabrics!

I think my favs are the batiks. And I love Kaffe Fassett prints too! And the Jinny Beyer small tonal prints that work as solids.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Well, of course, this changes from time to time.

I've done a quilt in '30s and like them but don't 'need' to use them again.

Don't like civil war reprod's.... look muddy to me.

LOVE tonals like Moda and Jinny Beyer! Soooo versitile.

Also love brights, but right now I'm beginning to love batiks. Never used to, but they catch my eye more and more. (Last two quilts for my kids were all batiks!)

• polardream
    12 years ago

Linda, that is one tough question! I think my favorite type of fabric is batiks. It must be, I seem to collect them but hate to cut them so they are accumulating in my sewing room! I do like Moda's tonals also.
    Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I like tonal Batiks, marbles and white on cream.

SharonG/FL

• karpet
    12 years ago

My favorite fabrics are any I can get at a bargain!
    Karlene

• grammyp
    12 years ago

This month it is batiks, especially the jewel tones. Next month, who knows.

beverly

• bonica
    12 years ago

This looks like a good place to ask this question. Does anyone(besides myself) mix batiks with other fabrics like 30's or orientals or whatever?
    I'm currently making 14" flower blocks. Background is wow with 2" squares of oriental prints forming the flowers and bright popping batiks as the center square. I've recently read where it's a no-no to do such a thing.
    Other than the "no quilt police" theory, what do you think?
    Bon
    :)

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Yes, Bon, I mix them a lot. Guess I'm not a purist and use whatever looks best to me. I love the way batiks just pop against other fabrics.

beverly

• fran1523
    12 years ago

I recently finished a top for my DD and included an Asian fabric with about 12 batiks. The color and scale were just right. I love batiks and florals.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Bon, Of course I mix fabrics. I figure if it looks good, it's ok. Would like to see your blocks. They sound great!

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I mix fabrics all the time. It's the color that matters and sometimes a pop of batik is just what is called for.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I mix all the time. It is the effect that matter to me and whom do I have to please??

I mix all the time. It is the effect that I am looking for so whom do I have to please??ME.lol

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I mix fabrics all the time, although I do like quilts dedicated to one type or another. Batiks in particular are so jewel-like that almost any pattern can benefit from their use.

• bonica
    12 years ago

aaaaah, I love that "Rebel Rebel" attitude!!!
    :)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I always thought that one of the basic reasons why people hesitated to mix batiks in with other fabrics is because the weave can be so different. That's probably not as big a factor now that even batiks tend to be more standardized. But I still find some that feel like 'regular' fabric and some that are tightly woven on very fine thread and have a smoother texture. The stretch and give of these fabrics can vary wildly!

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I have such a hard time mixing patterns, so I tend to go towards batiks and solids. I'm trying really hard to get more patterns in the mix, move out of my comfort zone.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Thinking about this question and the other recent QOtDs, I realize that my current addiction is white-on-white fabrics. I used them in the quilt I just finished and will use them in the Christmas wall hanging too (a soon-to-be-started project). Even though I often buy fat quarters, with these whites I've been buying them by the yard and in two cases I even bought 3 yards! It's so unlike me! But I really like how crisp and bright they are and they come in so many patterns too.