Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? July 25-27

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

Still no sewing or quilting for me. We are back home for the second truck this weekend.I hope we can get everything in this truck and be finished. We moved almost all the furniture last weekend. We just have my computer desk and one bed to move. We left it here so we would have a place to sleep this week. We also have all the porch furniture and lots of boxes.
The tv and internet services were installed yesterday at the new house. DD was there for that as we came back home yesterday.
I can't wait for things to be unpacked and my life back to normal!
Have to go finish packing!
Linda OH

Comments (29)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Hang in there, Linda! The last time we moved (22 years ago!) we also had nothing in the old house except a mattress on the floor and some clothes, and coffee fixings. The builder of our current house was kind enough to allow us to move most of our stuff into the garage before the closing.

We are going to visit parents on Sunday, but tomorrow I plan to load a donation quilt on the frame and start quilting. I've also been cutting pieces for my hand applique project. I've been knitting a baby blanket but I think I'm about ready to take a break from it and work on my applique.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I hope I can find some time this weekend to sew! I have a table runner to sandwich and quilt, a queen size to bind, and a sofa quilt to finish piecing. I need to talk DH Jim into golfing this weekend so I have a few uninterrupted hours!

Kate

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I hope to at least start quilting the Retreat Challenge Quilt this weekend. Maybe I can also load another large top onto the frame.

Jackie

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I am still working on my parents' Card Tricks queen size quilt. I have hand-quilted all 100 9-inch blocks of the quilt and am now starting to work on the border. I am still not sure when I will finish it, but the end is in sight so Yay! for that. I have been working on this quilt since 2009 and am tired of looking at blue and green fabric. I am ready to work on a new project, but I want to finish this one first. Linda glad your move is going well so far, and I hope the rest of your move goes smoothly. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

I may sew on Sunday, but work Saturday...

My dealer was having a 35 percent off sale today, so I went and got a straight stitch plate for my 9 millimeter machine.... something I've needed for a long time now and already love (of course I had to play with it the instant I got it home)...

I nearly went home with two new used machines, though! I went into the "back room" and faced temptation that I could hardly resist...

They had about 12 used Berninas for sale at pretty good prices, but then they had this other table with a Janome 15000, Brother Laura Ashley Innovis top of the line machine, and Pfaff Passport with IDT... the Brother was 600 and the Pfaff was 200 and I can't even find those machines used for those prices! I wanted them both, but the sales lady came up to me and said, "You don't want any of those!" I asked why and she said, "Well, they all use a drop in bobbin and we don't like those!" I asked why and she said matter of factly, "they mess up your stitches!"

Puuuuuhleeeease! I told her that I loved my machine that had a drop in bobbin and it sometimes made better stitches than my Bernina and was definitely less picky! She proceeded to walk me onto the show room floor and told me that if I was on a budget, that the Bernina 3 series were awesome machines. I told her that I was sure they were, but I required two things they didn't have... adjustable presser foot pressure and an automatic thread cutter... I'd rather have a used luxury car than a new economy car... she nearly fainted and said that I was the only customer who ever mentioned adjustable pressure in all the years she's sold machines! She said I must be a better sewist than half the ladies who come in there if I know and care about adjustable presser foot pressure... I told her that I can barely sew a straight line, but that I was just obsessed with machines and features :o)

Then she told me one of the floor models was 5 mm machine and I told her it was a 9 mm machine, and we checked, and I was right!

She realized that I wasn't buy her lines and that I knew what I was talking about and stopped trying to sell me anything :o) The problem is that I wanted to buy stuff, but she didn't want to sell what I wanted LOL I wrongly assumed that they'd be eager to sell those other brands and that money was money... maybe she just wanted them for herself after the sale was over with and was hoping nobody would buy them!

Oh well, I'm having fun with my straight stitch plate anyway :o)

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Bobby...you know it's bad news when they don't want your money...it was not meant to be! Glad you escaped.

Linda, sounds like you are making good progress. It will all be over before you know it!

I might have a little sew time on Sunday to start quilting my nieces quilt and finish a trial lotto block...if I'm lucky. It's going to be a busy family day on Saturday, no complaints, but that just throws the Saturday chore list to Sunday...I can feel sewing withdrawal settling in....yikes!

V.

• polardream
    9 years ago

I hope to sew, but we will see. I am so far behind in my flower beds - the weeds are as tall as the plants, so if it's not raining, I will try to get them cleaned out. I need to finish power washing our deck so I can get the railings stained (the floor is composite, so just cleaning :) ). We are picking up our grandpuppy on Sunday from the other "grandpuppy parents" and will have her until Tuesday night. DS & wife are out of town so we are sharing custody of the puppy. I finished the July lotto blocks and got them mailed today, so will try to put the binding on a quilt I finished this week.

Linda, I hope you are able to finish up your move. We have been in our house since 1994 and it seems like everything has decided to start falling apart this summer. DH said we were selling everything and moving into a larger RV. I reminded him he would have to clean his office, so he just told me to call the appropriate repair men!

Jackie - I wasn't going to do the camp challenge quilt, but think I might give it a try. I think I finally know what I will try, so may pull the fabrics together to get started.

Sue

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Hooray for you, Bobby! Obviously this woman had a new sales commission deadline looming and thought that this MAN didn't know from what and she was going to bamboozle you into a new machine. When DH secretly went to buy a machine for me a few years ago for Christmas, all he knew was that I quilted and nothing else. The woman tried her best to talk him into one of those high-priced computerized machines with all the embroidery features on it. He (thankfully) stuck to his guns and just bought one of the less expensive models with the quilting feet and extension table. I would have been furious if he had fallen for her spiel. Needless to say, after the sale was made it was like pulling teeth to get the promised free lesson on how to use the one he bought, the people on the sales floor are more than willing to expound on the features but know nothing about actually using them and could care less. There was only one person between 3 stores in a 3 county radius that did and I had to wait 3 months to lock her down to an appointment. Plus the fact that I had to drive 40 miles to get there. And even when I did finally get her pinned down, every time a customer walked in she abandoned me to try to sell them something.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Oh, wow, Rita! I guess they didn't earn a repeat customer! That's just terrible treatment.

Bobby, glad you didn't buy a machine you don't need! LOL

Donna

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

I'm working on a string quilt that I started years ago. It was 5 x 5 blocks, but I decided I wanted it larger so I made some blocks with purple and added them in. Today I'll tweak a few of the blocks and then start piecing them into rows, then assemble into a top. Then I'll have to pick a backing and the hardest decision- what to use for binding!

• redmary
    9 years ago

Linda--willing you sunny skies & cool weather for the remainder of packing & moving. I cringe at the thought of moving after 22+ years in the same home! Took a break from three of the larger projects in play & I am enjoying completing August, September & maybe October lotto blocks this weekend.
    For all you civil war buffs, my DH & I joined a tour last weekend in MD to travel the path of Gilmor's Raid. My favorite parts were a tour of a local landed gentry's home and lunch, wine tasting & lecture at a local vineyard. Have a great weekend!

• nannykins
    9 years ago

That string quilt is lovely. I have a stack of string blocks but they are scrappy, scrappy. Would black work for binding?
    Not getting any sewing done this weekend. I have pretty much restored the house to its pre- party stage but my body is still in "under drive".
    Next week for sure.
    Theresa

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Love the string quilt!
    LindaB/CA

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Ooooo, FlamingO, I love your string quilt. It's going to be gorgeous. I agree with Theresa. I would bind it with the color that you've used for sashing. It looks black on my monitor. I think anything else might detract from your beautiful blocks.

I'm trying to get motivated to quilt tonight. I power washed our front entry and scrubbed the carpet in our screen porch today, and my back is reminding me that I'm not 50 anymore. The gin and tonic and the glass of wine I had with dinner isn't helping motivate me either. I must say, it loosened up my back muscles though, along with everything else.

• wanda_va
    9 years ago

FlamingO, your string quilt is wonderful!!! I would use the black for the binding, and I can't wait to see pictures when it is finished.

I've been working on this year's breast cancer fundraiser quilt. It measures 72"x72".

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Love the String quilt, too! (The bucket list is getting fuller.) Anyway, I did get the Bear's Paw sandwiched, now I'm studying it to decide on what kind of quilting to do on it. Yesterday I spent a lot of time laundering quilts and switching them out in the Grandkid's room. Although I change the sheets regularly, it had been awhile since I'd washed the quilts. I also washed the couch quilt and used the tape roller on the couch and the dog quilt. The fabric on the couch is really wearing out, we've had it since 1993. I don't want a different couch - the frame is solid wood and I still love the style but the cushions need to be recovered or slipcovered. Anyone know which kind of fabric is the best for dog hair??

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Love that string quilt!

Wanda...lovely quilt for a worthy cause!

Rita...a leather couch might be your best bet for dogs, it's the only couch I have without embedded doggy fur! Although I have to say my dogs are not bad shedders, (Boston's); otherwise, I just accept the hairs I find Everywhere including on my ipad as I type :-).

Lois...I find it better for me to avoid machinery of any kind after an adult refreshment... .I'm just sayin....

We finished our family outing to the National Aquarium with a 6 and 2 year olds earlier than I thought, so while DH crashed on the sofa exhausted, I finished a block from Fresh Lemons blog I follow. It went together just fine until the very last seam....3 rips later, I surrendered...it may get one more rip, #%[)]!
    Now on to chores and quilting my nieces quilt.

V.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Wow, V that's a cool block!

Rita, our sofas are made of microfiber and the cat hair comes off pretty easily with the vacuum. It doesn't get stuck into the fabric like it did with other furniture we've had.

Donna

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I agree that black binding would be nice on the string quilt, but with all our cats, the hair would really show up on it, as it will on the black strips, too, of course. I'll be washing it constantly. LOL We use quilts on our sofas too, because of the animals. We just got a new sofa, a faux leather material from LaZBoy, and the hair seems to want to hang onto it some, I hope it'll vacuum or brush off nicely. I wanted leather, but got worried the dogs would tear it up with their nails. One dog is a bit of a lunatic.

Wanda, that is a beautiful quilt, you are so generous with your time and skills!

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Wanda and little Helen great stuff!

As for the adult beverages, I agree they're a great muscle relaxer, but then I need a nap.

LindaB/CA

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lovely quilts ladies!
    We are back in Columbus but will need one more trip with a smaller truck. We are using U-Haul and they didn't have the size we needed. Last week we had 26 ' and this week a 14' truck. We were able to bring everything important to us. Now for unpacking. The boys carried lots of boxes up to my new sewing room but there are still more in the garage. I have enough to keep me busy for weeks!
    Linda OH

This post was edited by lindaoh on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 7:21

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Linda glad your move is going so well. The string quilt is really pretty, love the vibrant colors!

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Finally got these little things together to go to a friend's first grandchild. (don't know if it's a girl or boy - they won't tell!) ..but I fell in love with a little pack of fat quarters, probably broke most every rule in the quilter's world (I'm hiding from the quilt police now!!! but they all get mailed tomorrow). There is the crib quilt, a crib pad, the little cradle blankie and board book. Saw the hourglass pattern for blocks on some blog somewhere and the rest was just 'sew as I go'.....and kept sewing and sewing because I was obsessed and ended up using every scrap of those fat quarters!! Now I've promised hubby to LEAVE my machine put away and do some cleaning and garden work......oh dear. Not sure I can do this.......................

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Lucky baby. Those are adorable.
    LindaB/CA

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Beth! Tell Hubby he can do the cleaning and gardening while you sew. :)

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Linda, any nibbles on selling your house?
    Glad the move to new is almost complete. I don 't envy all the unpacking and arranging you have to do but am jealous of your new digs.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Beth, that's a great project and it turned out so cute!!!

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Theresa, we had two offers the first week but we didn't want to drop the price that much the first week. We have had 6 or more showings so far. We didn't list the house until after we found the new house.
    Linda OH

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Beth...all are adorable! Keep on sewing!