Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
QOTD for July 5th

Posted by vicky4x4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 11:09

Do you ave any special fabric sizes you just have to have every time you go to the store?

I love fat quarters! Yep, if I don't buy anything else I have to get at least 1 fat quarter!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: QOTD for July 5th

I usually get at least a yard, if I really like it, I'll get 3 yards.

beverly

o

My quilting buddy gets 1 yard or 3 yards, just like Beverly. I tend to shop fat quarters, even if I don't "need" any, unless I'm looking for something specific for a quilt I'm planning. I rarely buy more than a fat quarter on impulse.

Kate

o

I am not an impulse shopper, I actually hate to shop! But I love fabrics.....I had a lady tell me last year in a quilt shop I had visited out of town to buy 1.5 yards as a minimum if you just had to have the fabric- that way you can always use it as a border.
In my LQS, I always check the little baskets of remnants - they are usually 12" or less. I have gotten some really nice fabrics in a variety to use for the lottos & Birthday blocks.

o

If I really like the fabric and may have a use for it, I go for 1 1/2 yards. If the FQ is something that would be neat down the road, such as holiday fabric, and I really like it - I get what ever it happend to come in, FQ, yardage, remant, etc.

o

I never get fat quarters because I seldom use that little. But I get anywhere from 1 to 3 yds of something that I must have. If there are only a couple of yards left on the bolt, I will buy it all figuring I can use it for borders or backing.

o

I love my fat qt.. They work well with scrappy quilts. If I have a specific project then I buy in quanity--usually a bit more so have left overs for my stash. If I fine a "great" bargin I will buy more depending on the pattern. Sometimes I have regrets that I didn't get more and then go hunting.lol.

o

I love collecting fat quarters ... however, if I find fabric I really love I usually end up buying 2-3 yeards even if I don't have a specific project because you just never know ...
Sue

o

I can clearly see from the comments here that I am not buying enough fabric! I pledge to fix that and start purchasing some yardage as soon as possible!

Kate

o

Because I mostly hand applique, I am a fat quarter addict!

Robbi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here