Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connie99_gw

Older machines

connie99
12 years ago

I looked at a Fleetwood, all metal with all metal insides,great shape, but no manual or accessories, $40.00. He also had a Singer Futura 11 , no extra,s $100.00 and A Singer Touch and Sew 700 with all accessories and a manual for $175.00. Do you think any of these would be worth the money?

Comments (8)

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Don't know if the prices are good or not, but you can read reviews of older machines at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sewing Machine Reviews at Pattern Review

• connie99
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Teresa..

• calliope
    12 years ago

The best machine I have is a good old Necchi purchased by my father for my mother in the mid-fifties.

• budster
    12 years ago

Connie I have an older T&S and when I had it professionally looked at last year - first time in 40 years I didn't do it myself, the repairman told me my machine would outlast me. I have had it since it was new and sewn many hours no problem. The thing is with T&S is you must see what shape the gears are in. The older ones have metal ones that seem to last forever, the newer ones have plastic gears which wear out over time. You can replace them but I gather it is a costly affair. Ask if you can have a look inside the head of the machine or get them to show you....remove a screw or two and pop off the head for a quick peek. That is all I can suggest. The attachments and the book are a good thing to have. Budster, hope it helps.

• connie99
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Budster, I took off over there yesterday and bought the Fleetwood 2345TW. From what I have found out it was made in the 50's in Japan. It is just a straight stitch and zig zag. It was at a sewing repair shop, the man that owns the shop has been there forever. He said he helped design the first Babylock. I have never sewn on a machine like this, it is smooth, fast and quiet. He told me also this machine would be here long after I was gone, so I must take good care of her. It has a little motor on back and it has a belt on the wheel at the side and it is very heavy..I don't think I will ever find a book for this one. He sat down with me and showed me how to use it and he can work on it if I have a problem.

• fran1523
    12 years ago

I think those metal gear machines do last forever, but you will never take that machine to sewing class. It's just too heavy.

• connie99
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, you are right, it is very heavy! I also bought a Brother computerized machine at Walmart. I was surprised, it is a great little machine that is light weight and a "good to go" machine. I love it, so I'm set for a while.
    I also have my Mom's 70's White machine and an old Kenmore.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

congratulations on your machine!! I learned to sew on a very old Singer in the 70's. I can't remember how it tore up, but the machine broke. I bet if I'd had the right person look at it, I would still have it today. I was also very heavy.

Happy sewing!! Show us some pictures of your projects, too.

Robbi

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler