Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micyrey

Quilt Block Lotto aug/sept

Michelle Reynolds
12 years ago

Hello

this will be another 2 month lotto, we can deside if we go back to 1 month lottos for october.

the block for this month is 4 Patch chain

colors blue for the back ground(color 1), white for the center strip(color 3) and red (color 2)solids, color on color or a print that reads as the color. trying to be a little patriotic on this one.

And our lotto guidelines are as follows:

By the first of each month, the block lotto is posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month.

The winner will be drawn on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

I will try to post the link but if I fail it is on quilters cache

thanks everyone

michelle

micyreygrow@yahoo.com

Here is a link that might be useful: four patch chain block

Comments (33)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I haven't participated in a while but I'll go in on this one. Put me down for 3 blocks. It would make a great Quilts of Valor donation quilt!

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Is this due end of September?
    I agree - this will make a great QofV donation quilt.
    Time is a problem for me - I'll post if I get them made - but need to clarify I have until end of Sept.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Yup - end of September. :~))

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hello
    we have 2 signed up so far anyone else?
    1. michelle
    2. kate
    you have till the end of sept to finish just one.
    michelle

• wynative
    12 years ago

I also haven't been in this for awhile but I bought a piece of red fleece the other day that has white star's all over it. I was looking for a quilt top idea and this will be perfect! Since I will be making some for myself anyway, why not? LOL

I will say 1 for right now but may end up sending more - depends how many combinations I can come up with...

Marie

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I haven't done a lotto in forever! Let me see if I have some fabric at home. I printed out the pattern and will see what I can do.

Robbi

• calliope
    12 years ago

I'm going to go through my stash as well. If I have the right materials, I'll get back on this. Let's bring this thread back to the top so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Michelle, I finished a block, so you can put me down for one, for sure. I have a long time to do more, so may make more later. But one for sure. Calliope

• buteau3rd
    12 years ago

This time I will sign up for 3, since they are already done and ready to mail. All I need now, is the address. I have it someplace, but didn't put it in the file.....ugh!
    A really easy and nice pattern. Hope I win!

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Sign me up for 3 also. This is a quick, easy pattern & Marge, I hope you win too! But only if you're coming to retreat! hint hint!
    Seriously, I would love to see you again! & I do hope you win even if you don't come to retreat.(I guess) ;););)

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello
    I was asked a question I wanted to post to the group.
    If the construction could be done easyer using rectangles
    Instead of squairs on the 2 and 3 squaire rows?
    I have never changed the way I make a block for swap or lotto
    Would this be accepable to everyone?
    Michelle

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

But some have already made their blocks with the squares. I think that the seam lines are actually an integral part of the block, so to change that design for some blocks and not others would look strange.

I was planning on jumping in this lotto in the next week or two, but I won't unless the guidelines are clear.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I don't think changing the block design after the fact is a good idea either and I've already made my block and so have some others, so you'd have a quilt with the blocks being constructed in different ways. It's a really, really simple block as it is and to modify it isn't going to really save much time or effort.

I'm with Mary C on this one. I do a lot of shadow quilting and it would impact the quilting design.

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi
    Ok thanks for your opinion.
    Personaly as a player I agree, but as moderator I needed to
    Pass on the question to the group.
    So the blocks will be made as the instructions call for.
    Marie is having trouble getting the blocks the right size, hers are
    Comming out 13 inches, so she is dropping out.
    Thanks everyone
    Michelle

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I think changing the construction is unnecssary and of no benefit. This is a very simple block and goes together quickly. I made all three blocks in one evening. Combining differently constructed blocks wouldn't look very professional and some of us have talked about using the blocks for a QOV if we win. Let's not change it please.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Sorry... I posted my answer at the same time Michelle was posting that there would be no change. Since we have no 'delete' button my post will have to stay.

Marie, if you are having trouble, go back and check that you cut the squares exactly 3 1/2 by 3 1/2. And the strips for the 4 patches are cut exactly 2". With a 1/4" seam allowance they should come out to be the right size. There's no special matching on this one, like you may find on half square triangles, so if it's off it almost has to be either the cutting or the seam allowance. Hope you can give it another try! If there's anything we can help with, please let us know.

Kate

• polardream
    12 years ago

I am in for 3 blocks - I finished one tonight & have the other 2 cut. I should be able to get these in the mail by Friday.

Sue

• calliope
    12 years ago

When I made my block, I noticed immediately when I sewed the first two sub-blocks together they were too small. I had already checked the blocks against a 3.5 inch template and knew it had to be in the seam. I found the cause straight-away. I had been sewing something else with a zig-zag stitch, had adjusted everything on the machine back except my needle oriention and had it moved too far to the left causing a wider seam than .25. Something like this is easy to do.

• wynative
    12 years ago

Kate,

Yes, all of my blocks are the correct size. The blue ones are fine but the little red/white ones are coming out bigger.

As I explained to Kate privately I will be dropping this. I do not want anyone to be upset that my blocks are not correct.

Have fun and can't wait to see what everyone does. It is a great block and the colors are wonderful :D

Marie

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I finished my 3 earlier this week but didn't get them mailed until today. (Why is it so hard to remember to buy stamps?!?) You should have them before the end of next week.

Kate

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Michelle,
    I have my 3 blocks ready to be mailed...that's early for me..lol

I just need your mailing addy.

Thanks,
    Gwen

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

I've made 2 so far. We'll see if I can knock out a third tomorrow - either way, they'll be mailed on Wednesday.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Well, it's just the 2 blocks, but they are on the way.

Mary

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Michelle,
    Looks like we're going to have enough for a nice sized quilt!

• polardream
    12 years ago

btt

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hello
    sorry to be missing for so long, I just started a new job(my first one in almost 10 years) and I'm having a little trouble keeping up.

so far I have receved blocks from......

buteau3rd/marjorie
    polar dream
    me/michelle
    gwen
    mary-c
    kate/k8orlando

dose anyone else want to play, just one block may win you 15 or more. enough for a great quilt.

just let me know if there are more comming or not
    michelle

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update!

• calliope
    12 years ago

Michelle, mine went into the mail yesterday. Postal clerk said you shoud be getting it tomorrow or thursday.

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hello
    calliope could you email me your name, I receved an envie but I dont know your real name and it dosent have your GW name on it
    I just want to be sure I have the right person.
    but I did get one in the mail yesterday.
    drawing will be on fri night I will need someone not in the drawing to help with the drawing.
    michelle

• calliope
    12 years ago

Gosh Michelle, sorry, yes I will.

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hello
    can someone help me pick a winner?
    michelle

• faintheart
    12 years ago