Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gininmn

Lunch with friend who's a quilter

gininmn
12 years ago

Today I'm getting together for lunch with a fairly new friend who is a quilter. I met her and she was my "angel" the night my dear husband drowned last fall on the lake she lives on. She gave me one of her beautiful quilts to cuddle in during that horrible, long night as the Rescue Squad searched for him and afterwards as she kept me at her house overnight after they found his body. About a month ago she entered a quilt in the Minnesota Quilt Show and I'm anxious to hear how it went for her.

Comments (13)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Oh Gininmn~I am so sorry about the tragic loss of your husband. We live on the water, and have experienced the loss of a very dear friend thru drowning here a few years ago.
    She is indeed your Angel, and I am happy she was there for you to provide whatever comfort she could. It is nice you are able to form a friendship and share quilting, as you two are forever connected. Enjoy your lunch, and share how she did in the Quilt show with us.
    Thank you for sharing your loss with us - I know it is a very difficult time for you. I hope quilting is helping you get thru this sad time. I don't know what else to say, except I'm glad you found your Angel ~ and she turned out to be a Quilter!
    Hugs to you both!

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Ginn, enjoy your lunch with your dear angel friend.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Gin, You indeed have a forever connection with your angel friend. Enjoy your lunch.....laughter and crying is good and helpful on your journey.

We would like to hear about her quilt and the quilt show.

SharonG/FL

• lola99
    12 years ago

Gin, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad this quilter was able to be there for you and offer comfort.

• buteau3rd
    12 years ago

Gin, I am so happy that your angel found you when you really needed her.
    Have a wonderful lunch with your angel. Stay in touch.
    Marge

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Quilting angels are everywhere it seems and I'm so glad one found you just when you needed her. I hope this develops in to a life long connection and maybe the day will come when you can pass on the love.

We were so lucky we got to meet him at retreat last year. He was a wonderful partner for you and I'm sure he's watching over you even now.

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Ginny, Everyone needs an angel friend and one who is a quilter is even better. I hope you form a strong friendship to share your good and bad times with.

• gininmn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had a great lunch with Fay yesterday. Happily, she got a third prize on her quilt at the 2011 Minnesota Quilt Show. It was called Spinning Girl Friend and although double size, the show personnel put it in the Small Pieced category, which they evidently have the discretion to do. Judges commented on her great color usage and were complementary about how well the quilting enhanced the quilt (she had it quilted so they both entered it). I was so pleased for her; it was the first quilt she's entered in a competition.

Thank you for all your supportive comments. Your kind words and friendship with you mean a lot to me. Figuring out my life without DH has not been easy.

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Friendships are so important! May The healing that took place at lunch bring comfort to both of you.
    Gwen

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Congratulations to your friend, Ginn! That's great to win a prize on the first entry.

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Congrats to your friend, I wish we could see pics of the quilt.
    My sister lost her husband suddenly at 42 and it was such a shock. My friend's husband just passed after 8 long years of illness, almost the entire last year he was not aware of anything. We were discussing if it is better to know and at least have the chance to say goodbye rather than the shock. But we all agreed there is no easy way.
    What a wonderful heart warming story about your angel.
    Blessings to you and yours.
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Gin, I haven't been on for a couple days and missed your first post. I am so sorry to hear your sad news and can only begin to imagine what a hard time this has been for you. I am devastated just thinking about it. Thanks for sharing the story of your quilt angel with us and congrats to her on her first successful quilt show.

Kate

• gininmn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish I would have thought to ask her to bring a picture of her quilt to lunch. I know she showed it to me the night we met but I can't specifically remember much about it other than it was beautiful. As were her other quilts she showed me. When I next talk to her, I'll ask if she will share a picture.