Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't EVER Do This!

Posted by ritaweeda (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 10:25

I changed my foot from free-motion to the one for decorative stitches, set the stitch for an eyelet stitch, (thankfully I used the small test sandwich to try it out). Unfortunately, I forgot to raise the feed-dogs. Well, I thought I would never get that mess straightened out. The thread got into a huge, hard knot underneath the stitch plate. Finally I had to cut the sandwich off of the top of the jammed-in part, remove the foot, unscrew the stitch plate and cut the knot off. Don't ever do that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't EVER Do This!

What I forget to do is change the foot from the 1/4 to a regular foot when doing anything zig-zaggy. Have broken more needles that way. You would think I would learn. "Old dog".
Theresa

o

Have done simular things with the same results---never a happy day--but unfortunately I let it happen again just the process of never learning I guess.

o

Oh Rita!!! What a mess! Take the time to clean under the plate really, really well & change the needle.

I have a window on my machine that gives all the settings related to any given stitch - I pay close attention to the detail, and use it as a check list, even for the decorative stitches I use all the time (like the antique or blanket stitch). I just can't remember everything---like raising the feed dogs!!
Our new machines are not simple-and mine is less complicated than most.

Your example is a good reminder to always do a test on a sample!

o

I don't use my decorative stitches enough to run into problems lol!!!

But my machine wants the top thread to be the same as the bobbin and I have had to cut out that jammed up mess with scissors before too.

I think it is wise to always use a test piece.
Rosa

o

BTDT!! And I usually have a few choice words I mutter while I clean up the mess.

Robbi

o

Truly frustrating!....especially the third time!! Using a machine for over 50 years (way over).....still learning!

o

LOL...did the same as nannykins just last night...went to do zig zag w/ my 1/4 inch foot and snapped the sewing needle in spectacular fashion...The machines are so smart these days...I have expect it to yell at me before I press the foot pedal!
V.

o

V,
It probably did you just didn't listen. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here