Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? July 19-21

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I made the barn blocks this week but didn't get to the Hello Moon blocks. I hope to do them this weekend. Yesterday I started stitching strips for the "Simplicity" strip quilt that I bought at the Columbus quilt show last month. I also want to make binding for a "Wounded Warriors" quilt that my small quilt group made.
It has been so hot this week and I have been getting in the pool every day. DH's cousin and aunt came out every day to swim too. We have to enjoy the pool when we can!
DD and hubby are coming home next week and DD and I are going to a One Stop Shop Hop on Friday.
Are you quilting this weekend or just trying to stay cool?
Linda OH

Comments (15)

• calliope
    10 years ago

Being a SE Ohioan, I am feeling like it's about time for someone to baste us with bar-b-que sauce because poke me with a fork, I'm about roasted.

We broke down Wednesday evening and put in the big window air conditioner in the living room. It has never cycled off since then and is struggling to keep three rooms in this big, old house under 80 degrees.

My sewing room is upstairs and I've been sneaking up for short periods of time (it's all I can handle and leave when I start sweating like a pig) working on the newest, and only, quilt in progress. I took a little hiatus from quilting, and am ready to jump back in.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have an extremely busy weekend with scouting, 1 night camping overnights (yes, in this heat! ugh), and carting a kid to grandma's house. Monday night will be the next night (since Wed) that all family members will be home in their own beds!

Buuuuut, I got back my niece's quilt backing from the printer's today. I must get that pieced together this weekend. I'm hoping to have it all pieced and loaded on the frame by Sunday night so I can get it quilted quickly. She goes off to college on Aug 17th, and this is way overdue. So that is what my plan for Saturday night & Sunday is.

Stay cool everyone! [I know I won't be cool again until Saturday night.]

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Jennifer, you've mentioned getting that backing from the printer several times, and I'm intrigued...did you have fabric specially made? Inquiring minds... :)

I've made 4 of those tiny tree blocks so far. I'm hoping to get 3 more made tomorrow. The reason for that goal is that it is an on-point setting and the longest row has 7 blocks in it. I don't know if I can get that much done, though - they are tiny and hard to see and my eyes get buggy.

Sunday we're going to visit parents. I'll take my knitting with me in case I feel like working on it.

Donna

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Change of plans! DS, DIL, and GS are coming for the weekend. We were expecting them to come next week but there was a mix up on dates. Can't wait for them to get here!
    Linda OH

• grammyp
    10 years ago

We will be working on plumbing in our basement, hanging sheet rock and replacing an air conditioner at DD's. After that I plan to get Jennifer's mom's quilt in the frame.

beverly

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Spent part of my day at the Gettysburg battlefield...it was searing heat, but no humidity...so it was almost tolerable. We still felt spent when we arrived home.

The rest of the weekend I will remain indoors in my cool sewing room, quilting the challenge quilt...and a design challenge if was for me! I changed my mind so much, I don't know what version I'm on now :)

Calliope I don't know how you are managing...reminds me of the house I grew up and we did not venture upstairs in the summer heat!

Stay cool everyone!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Gotta get back on the challenge quilt and bind the gift quilt. Seems I change the challenge quilt every time I get started. Hope I can actually get something finished;-(

Got in a lovely hike in the Sierra's Wednesday knowing it'll be in the hundreds again soon! Great wildflowers. Toasty today, but bearable inside this evening with the air conditioner on. Spoiled in my sewing room with a "mini split". I can be cooler more cheaply up here than downstairs.

LindaB/CA

• polardream
    10 years ago

I would love to get back to quilting ... maybe will sneak in some hand quilting on a QS quilt I have been working on FOREVER! First I need to finish putting furniture back into bedrooms that have been painted and order new blinds for one of the rooms. Hoping I can get DS over to sort out the last 5-6 boxes of his stuff.

Hot in Colorado, too - although nothing like the Midwest/East since we don;t have the humidity. We did run our AC, but try to only use whole house fan as much as possible to save $. Everyone try to stay cool!

Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I've been sewing 2 1/2" squares together. I saw a picture of a Garden Wedding Quilt (I think that's what it was called) and figured out how to put it together. I won't be making it the size in the pictures, but wanted to sew and use up some squares before my container runneth over. I have block 1 made and block 2 (the easy one) almost made. Four of block 1 and 5 of block 2 will make it 42" square. That's big enough for me. lol

Isn't this weather strange? Hotter up north than it is in Florida, but the humidity is what gets me. We never had A/C when I was growing up and we didn't have it when raising our family either. Now, I don't think I could live without it....at least would need a room A/C and fan.

Have a great week-end.....

SharonG/FL

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I have all my Easy Street Blocks made and hanging on the design wall. Hope to get them sewn together this weekend. I also have a quilt on the frame. I want to get it quilted.

I have been cutting stuff to take to retreat and getting it all organized in containers. I am also piecing four patches for an Irish Chain quilt. I am busy, but I love that I really do not have a deadline for any of this!

Gifties for retreat are complete too!

Jackie

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Well, girls' camping is done. Slept outside last night in a tent in 96+ degree heat... Think it became bearable by about 2am. Girls are home settled. 5yo off to Grandma's house for two days.

Boys just left for a minor league baseball game and then tent camping on the field. They have a threat of storms tonight to keep things fun!

11yo and 2yo and I are now doing nails and watching a movie. Quiet ( & cool night at home!)

Donna, I'll try to take some pictures to show you the fabric. What I've done is this: I'm making a quilt for my niece. My sister wanted to use inspirational quotes on the quilt, collected from female friends. Some were quite large, so I ruled out embroidering them on blocks. So I decided to have them screen printed on the backing fabric.

So I have to piece together the backing pieces with a filler strip. Then I'll quilt it and be done...hopefully within the next week. Pictures forthcoming.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Jennifer can't wait to see your quilt. We have gotten rain 5 evenings in a row this week. As a result of all that rain my pink dinnerplate hibiscus has a couple of large seed pods forming, so hoping in the near future that I will be able to collect seeds off of it. I am thinking about WS some ROS this winter for my brother and neighbor and may do some for me to keep as well. Well yesterday was day 2 of school shopping, and still have one more day of shopping to do. My child hates to try on shoes and clothes so we break it into multiple afternoons of shopping. M-I-L is back home and she is more stubborn than my son so it helps to have her with me when we do school shopping. I am making good progress on Christy's grandbaby quilt. Only have 6 granny square blocks left to hand-quilt on her quilt; really hoping to have the hand-quilting done by the end of July. It is miserably hot here, but we always in months of July and August have temps in high 90's to triple digits and usually we have no rain during these months, but am so thankful for the 5 evenings of rain we have had this week. We have the AC set on 72*F but parts of the house we are having to run ceiling fans in and keeping most of the lights off in the house to keep things cooler. I am so ready for cooler fall weather, September is usually a month of shorts and flip flops here, but usually October starts to cool down a little. There is stuff I want to do in my flower garden, but it will have to wait until October/November when it starts to cool off. We had a good visit with S-I-L and her family earlier today and this afternoon DH and DS and M-I-L and F-I-L are off to visit my other S-I-L and her kids and grandkids. I stayed home so I could finish washing sheets and get the beds remade and to work some on Christy's quilt. A nice quiet afternoon to sit and quilt. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

My sewing room is still torn apart with no progress on the painting or the floor. When we started to pull up the carpet we found water damage, so waiting on a plumber to explore that. Not fun.

kate

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I am! DH is on a long Regatta - I decided to make him a new quilt for his birthday using a quick (?) Tutorial I saw on Missouri Quilts - I had no suitable charms or jelly rolls, so had to cut it all out of a wine themed FQ bundle DS & his GF gave me - for no reason a few years ago - that NEVER happens-a gift just because & its fabric!!!!!!! So, between the FQs and leftover fabric from the other wine quilts I made.....I have enough. The background is also from my stash. It is a Hoffman mottled that I bought when my Guild had an estate sale when a prolific quilter, crafter, passed and her family donated all her "stuff" to the Guild. I think it was 50 cents a yard. I am counting the inches and using every bit. I need to have this done by Tuesday or I have to go shopping to buy a useless birthday gift.

• susan_on
    10 years ago

No quilting this weekend, but I am going to start making embroidered satin gift bags for DD's wedding.