Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Signature Wedding Quilt

K8Orlando
9 years ago

The top is done! This is a corner of the signature quilt I'm making for a co-worker's wedding. She asked me to do it and purchased all the fabrics. It's for a Fall wedding, to be held outside in a park in New York state; her dress is white but her shoes are bright orange. Cute!

As a personal gift, I'm using the bonus squares to make a table runner with a simple mariner's compass in the center for her. This is the compass pattern I'm using, but in the same orange/brown fabrics from the quilt.

I'm pleased with the outcome, but not sure I would do this again. I love making quilts to give as gifts, especially surprise gifts, but making a quilt at someone's request has been stressful. Non-quilters simply don't know how much time it takes to plan, cut and sew. I told her from the beginning that I would piece it but not quilt it, so this week I'll take her to a local quilt shop so they can explain her options and show her some patterns. I'll bind it for her and then I'll be glad to be done with this one!

I think the toughest part of taking on someone else's project is that I didn't feel comfortable working on any of my own things until I had this done. Suddenly, quilting was a chore and not just a pleasure. Maybe I'm too selfish to be an on-demand quilter!!! Good thing I still have a regular job! LOL

Kate

Comments (37)

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Beauties! The Mariner's Compass is striking!
    Theresa

• polardream
    9 years ago

Kate, The quilt is really lovely! I am not a huge fan of signature quilts - seems like the signatures take away from the actual quilt. You did a really great job and I do love the fall colors. Your Mariner's compass table runner will be a real beauty! I certainly hope your friend appreciates all the work you have put into the quilt!

Sue

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not crazy about them either and haven't made one before. I like this pattern though and think I'll use the sample blocks I made in black & ivory to make another quilt (it took a while to figure out what size blocks would work best so I have 4", 5" and 6" squares).

They are going to use this in place of a guest book at the wedding and the reception, then hang it in the hallway of their home. I think that's a fun way to remember the wedding, without having to pull out a book. After the wedding, we'll print one of the wedding party pictures on fabric and I'll applique it onto the quilt.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Very nice, Kate! It will be lovely when it's done.

I feel the same way about quilting because I "have" to. Any time I start thinking about doing it as a business I quickly get to the roadblock that it wouldn't be my fun hobby any more, it would be my job. And I'm easily distracted at home so I probably wouldn't work enough hours to make any money any way! LOL

Donna

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Pretty pretty, Kate! Can totally 'get' what you're saying about doing something for 'hire'. Even when I do the Christening gowns, it's fun, but far more stressful than if I'm just doing them for a gift. Good thing I had 30 years of loving something that I got paid for.

BTW...your gift of table runner is a great idea and will undoubtedly be a hit!

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Sure do like how that came out, Kate! Not sure that I'd want a quilt on my wall with a bunch of names on it, but either way, you achieved what she asked for!

Love the compass!! One of my many favorite patterns!

• mary_c_gw
    9 years ago

I'm with you, Kate.

I'm also not fond of signature quilts. I'd have to have a pretty close relationship with the couple to agree to making one.

I also don't like my avocation becoming an obligation. That doesn't mean I won't do quilts for family and friends, but there is a very good reason I never went into business making, or even just quilting them. The obligation kind of sucks the fun out of the process.

But this quilt you made is beautiful! The mariner's compass will be too. Great job!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. I was feeling like a Bad Guy for my negative reaction to this project but you've made me realize I'm not alone. It's interesting how often non-quilters say "You should go into business and sell your quilts!" Then generously tell you they would pay $100... for something you have $200 into and dozens of hours! Yeah, I could make a living off that! Ha! Better just to keep it a passionate hobby.

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Kate, your efforts paid off, it is simply beautiful...

I completely understand.... I'm not skilled enough for anyone to ask me to do a quilt, but coworkers, family members, and friends all assume I'd love nothing more than to mend their clothes simply because I own sewing machines.... none of them have ever paid, which takes the pressure off, but then sewing is a chore instead of a hobby.... I hate the feeling of sewing for others out of obligation rather than working on your own fun projects!

Sometimes I almost think its best if we keep sewing a secret... and don't ever tell anyone if you own an embroidery machine... just trust me!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Kate, The quilt top is lovely and just love the mariner's compass for the table runner...you know both will be loved, but I'm with you and everyone's else sentiments.
    In my case, I opened my own mouth and volunteered to make a lap size quilt for my niece. It was almost a relief to read your post and realize that the joy of this hobby does disappear when obligations and time tables set in. I've had fun with niece quilt, but that's the first and last time I volunteer myself with a time table. I was starting to think I was the mean auntie..maybe I am...
    Nice end result for your friend...!
    V.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Kate the signature quilt is beautiful and I like the mariner's compass pattern. Kate I find the less I tell someone about the quilt until it is actually done is the best way to manage people's expectations.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Kate,
    The quilt is beautiful. The picture for the tablerunner doesn't show up on my ipad, maybe when I get home.
    Two of the signature quilts I've made were a secret surprise to the recipient. Both had to have pieces mailed all over the country. Getting people to stay inside the seam allowance was the hardest part. I'm extremely slow, so there's no way I could do it on a timeline.
    Another was for a man, also a surprise. I finished the quilt and gave him the quilt and the pen and told him he could have people sign when they visited. Last time I visited I noticed there weren't too many signatures. I quests people are afraid to write directly on the quilt.
    LindaB/CA

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Kate, I love the quilt. The pattern is very lovely. I'd have a hard time writing on a quilt, even if I were asked to. I think it takes away from the quilt, but I know some folks love the idea.

The mariner's compass will be beautiful too. Nice work.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Love those. I have always wanted to do a Mariner's Compass and a table runner may be the way to give it a try. Thanks for the idea.

DH frequently asks if I would like to quilt for a living, and the answer is always no. Then it becomes a job, not a hobby and you are right, that sucks all the fun out of it. I feel free to say no to requests when it is a hobby, but if it were my job I couldn't.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the whole top. I like the slightly off-center center.

And here's my finished Mariners Compass for the center of the table runner. They are so easy now with paper piecing that I almost can't remember how much they used to scare me!

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

The quilt looks good, but I LOVE the mariner's compass.

Guess I'd better bookmark that paper piecing site!

LindaB/CA

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Mariner's Compass really striking. I liked the earlier pic but this is gorgeous
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I love this compass and will use it again. I found another one today that I'm excited to try too. It was in a 2008 quilt magazine called Quilters Newsletter; it's a Carol Doak creation. If anyone wants the paper piece pattern, I think I can figure out how to post a picture of it. You would have to play with the size to get it the way you want it.

Isn't this pretty?

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I am still looking for my Carol Doak book, somewhere in this house.
    Such a pretty pattern
    Theresa

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

That's gorgeous! Naturally I just donated a bunch of my old Quilters Newsletter because I used more of the patterns in my equally old Quiltmaker. Maybe I still have that one.
    LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's the issue labeled "September/October 2008".

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Nice job! I love both ~ hopefully the signatures won't take too much away. She will be thrilled when she see it. It is a nice remembrance of her special day.
    Now you can sew something just cuz' :~)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Done! Done, Done, Done!

The longarmer finished the quilt this week and it just took two evenings to do the binding. I also finished quilting and binding the tablerunner. She gets the quilt on Monday, but will have to wait for her surprise wedding shower at work to get her surprise tablerunner. I think she'll be pleased.

After the wedding we'll transfer one of her pictures to fabric and I'll applique it into the big center square.

You can't see it because I used matching brown thread on the "wood" border but I did a nice free motion leaf and vine there. I'm very happy with my quilting on this one.

Now on to other projects!
    Kate

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

oh gosh, Kate...that table runner is FAB!!! wowza!!!!

• nannykins
    9 years ago

High fives!
    Great job on both of these!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

They are beautiful, Kate! She will love them both.

Donna

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

They're both great, but I especially love the table runner. The quilting on it wonderful too.

LindaB/CA

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Kate, fantastic job on both pieces! Your FMQ skills are amazing. And I love your fields of HSTs on the runner.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I love the table runner and the quilt looks great too. Congrats on finishing them. Love the fall colors.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bride chose all the colors and even purchased the fabric. The HSTs on the runner are almost like cheating because they are the bonus squares from the signature quilt!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Absolutely lovely! Lucky bride!
    Any chance you could email the mariner's compass pattern...It's a beaut, I'd love to give it a try with some metallic fabric I have on hand.
    V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was a free pattern in a magazine so there's no problem with sharing. I'll send you the pdf.

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

They both turned out just beautiful and I believe it will be a treasure for many years and a unique way to remember the special moment.
    I sold things for many years but didn't do it very often by request but made what I enjoyed and sold it. Recently I was asked to make a special doll dress for a lady who collects dolls and I felt as you did...It is difficult to be placed in that position. Most people don't have a clue of the true value of what they feel is just another craft item that you love to turn out.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a good idea. Maybe the next time someone asks me to make something, I can have a couple quilts made and offer one of those for sale. That way I escape the guilt of having more quilts than I can possibly use (Quilt Guilt?). It helps justify fabric shopping too! I love this idea! :~))

• polardream
    9 years ago

Kate, both projects turned out absolutely amazing! You did do a fantastic job on the quilting and the colors are beautiful.

I copied the info on the pattern ... now to go down to my quilt magazine library and find the 2008 issues ...

another project - you really are an enabler!

Sue

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have the pattern scanned yo a pdf file so if anyone wants it, send me an email and I'll send it to you!

• Robbi D.
    9 years ago

Beautiful!! I especially love your quilting on the table runner. I so wish I had more time to practice that.

Robbi

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County