Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

QofTD 07/25/12 Binding Color - Dark or Light

magothyrivergirl
11 years ago

Binding questions ~ how can this part of the quilt making process elicit so many questions and decisions to make??? No that isn't the Question for Today ~LOL~but feel free to comment.

The Question for Today - Do you prefer a Dark or Light shade for the binding? Or, do you take the Shade of the color into consideration when you select your binding?

I avoid white and very light colors for a quilt binding because I think it would show dirt easily. I could be all wrong.

What are your thoughts?

Comments (14)

• cindykg23
    11 years ago

My binding depends on the quilt. Often its the last border fabric if I want to focus on the interior pattern. Sometimes it's a darker fabric if I want to 'frame' the entire quilt. I agree w/you & also tend to shy away from white for quilts that will be heavily used by babies/children [altho there are always exceptions to every rule, right:)]
    It will be interesting to hear what others have to say.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I don't think you are all wrong, Marsha! Especially on baby and kid's quilts, the binding could show dirt easily. I consider the border and the binding as part of the "frame" around the center of the quilt and tend to make the binding in medium to dark colors. I also like to make scrappy bindings when it suits the quilt.

Teresa

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I'm trying to remember if I've ever done a light-colored binding and I can't remember that I ever have. But I don't know the reason why. I just see the binding as a frame like mentioned above and use medium to dark colors. I have also used the same fabric as the outer border if I thought it looked better that way. I do frequently use either a stripe or plaid, I just like the way it looks on a quilt.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I've never made a bindng choice based upon wear/dirt, etc.

I select my binding based upon "look". It might be a dark or different fabric if I want to frame the center. Or a dark if I think the eyes need to 'rest'. I've also used a similar, either in fabric or color, fabric if I think there's enough stuff going on. This is generally done if the outer border is also dark.

Only occassionally do I use scrappy or striped bindings... they add a design feature that is sometimes necessary.

I don't think I've ever done a light colored binding simply because it just doesn't appeal to my eyes.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Once of a day I did a scrappy pieced binding, and the only color that didn't look great was the lightest. Given the way I piece straight strips, and then cut on the bias, I got a bit of shadowing of a darker color under the lightest color.

I still use this technique, but I'm careful about auditioning the fabrics where they overlap.
    An example:

So for baby/youth quilts, I usually choose a medium to dark from the quilt body. I do think it hides the soil a bit better.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I have no rules as to what is used to bind other then it "workS" for the quilt. I checked out some of my older quilts and I have done all kinds of things from same as border, scrappy, stipe, white on one,(a baby, but never used. She was still born). The most common was dark that was pulled from the center. I also like black. As a rule I am not a "white"--person, not comfortable with it.
    As was noted I think of the binding as part of the border that frames the quilt and if it shares or adds depends on the over all quilt.

• vicky4x4
    11 years ago

It totally depends on the quilt. Sometimes I like the last border to be the binding sometimes it needs to be something else. Step and look then let the quilt tell you.

Vicky

• calliope
    11 years ago

Yes, the quilt will tell you. None of my quilts have ever told me 'light or white' LOL. So, I guess that shows my preferences.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I prefer thin bindings and I frequently use white if my backing is white, which it frequently is lol!!!!!

My first quilt was a white whole cloth and I still love the look of white in quilts. Black too, but it is hard on my eyes.

BUT, my last quilt had a yellow backing and I made a yellow binding from the same material. I love the scrappy and striped bindings I see others make and I want to try it.
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I have used light prints and dark colors for my quilt bindings in the past. Currently making my Grandma's quilt right now and it has a lot of pink and white throughout the quilt so am tempted to use a WOW thin Leah Day binding on it. I have never used white or WOW to do a binding so I am still debating this choice. Curious to see what everyone says in their posts here, making for an interesting read.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

My binding depends on the quilt. I have used dark,light and scrappy and even stripes.

Mary

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I'm with Mary, depends on the quilt. My binding is a color choice just like my borders and sashings are.

I love to use stripes cut diagonally or across for a binding. I seldom piece a binding but would if the design told me to.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

An interesting and timely question! I have always used dark, or striped (my favorite!), or multicolored bindings but I'm thinking of using a light one for the first time. I haven't auditioned it yet and am likely to change my mind, but I am considering it.

I have no set rules for bindings... whatever looks good and whatever fabric I have enough of!

Kate

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I save ALL of my leftover binding .... even the pieces that are only a few inches long for other projects. I have a shoebox marked "Binding Bits" and have used some of the leftovers for wallhangings, baby quilts and other small items. I easpecially like joining the leftover pieces for scrappy quilts.
    Toolgranny, I cut my striped fabric into continuous bias binding for a really cool effect.