Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

LOTTO - August 2013

toolgranny
10 years ago

I'll post this a bit early as I'm on my way out of town for a week.

This month the block is a bit more challenging than the simple one we used for July. It's the Morning Star 2 block made with three fabrics of the same color family and an off-white background. See the picture for samples. This should make up a lovely quilt with a nice secondary pattern. I used batiks but any bright fabrics will work. It looks best if we keep the color family thing.

Follow the usual rules:

1. with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks.

2. if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

3. all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

4. you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Blocks are mailed to Valarie who will arrange the drawing at the end of the month. If you need her address, find her "ittlehelen" name on a previous lotto and send her (or me) a msg.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Star 2 block

Comments (16)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Can I just have your blocks?? they're lovely!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone....I don't believe this block is any more challenging than the January Ohio Star.... I'm no block making pro, but I've made a half dozen of these blocks (different color scheme)...and they go together very nicely!

Linda's color scheme is perfect for this block!!! Wished I'd thought of it...these will make a beautiful quilt.

I'm looking forward to making more over the weekend and seeing everyone's color combinations over the month.

Jen...you could win the blocks if you want to join in the lotto this month! Send in a few...

V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

:( I never win anything. LOL

Got a lot on my plate this month (what's new?) and can't commit to making any...

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Jen, it only take one to get your name in the drawing! Give it a try!

If I can get the machine set up, I'll do at least one this month.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to participate this month, but I got one done. Yay!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Lois.. That looks great! I need to get mine started today.
    V.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

This is a really pretty block and it actually worked up pretty well for me. I have a question, however...wondering if I did something wrong? It seems that the block usually measures 12.5", but mine only measures 12. I was really careful in cutting and sewing...my seams are the scant 1/4" ...wondering if I should continue? I have one done and more cut and ready to sew. :/

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Go for it Beth! Without seeing the block it hard to say, but i've had the same experience ... So go for it, don't quit now! ! !
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Beth, This can be conquered!!! As V said, 'Don't quit now!!!'

Try measuring each unit before sewing them together to see that they square up to 4 1/2". After sewing them all together for the block, measure the center row down and across....it should measure 4" and the outer rows should measure 4 1/4" ....... After measuring, you'll know where to make your adjustments. It took me awhile to figure out if I measure, measure, measure, it usually comes out right. :-)

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Hi...anyone participating in the August lotto and "the Challenge", feel free to mail your challenge quilt along with your lotto blocks...I'm driving to the retreat, so I'm happy to deliver your challenge to the retreat. Also...you have some extra time for the August blocks...I'll do the drawing at the retreat - that's gives everyone a few extra days!

Sorry I didn't offer quilt delivery earlier...didn't think about it...was too caught up in deciding on my challenge!...thanks heavens it's just about done...done...done... <:-0gt;V.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Will be mailing three blocks.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Beth, your blocks look great! So happy you stayed with it...can't wait to see 'em in person.
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Pretty ones, Beth.

Valarie, I have one....in lavender/purple. I plan to send it to Beverly and she will give it to you at retreat.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Here's my two for august...,although the picture on one of the blocks is off...it shows the corners to be a royal blue which they are not, the actual color is purple that blends with the other colors in the block...oh well, not sure why that happens.....

Lots of time to get those August blocks made and mailed...We need at least 2 more for an even dozen...anyone else out there considering ??.. It could be your lucky month to win...!!!

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Posted three blocks this morning. Pinks!! *laffin* nobody uses pinks!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Beth, Your pink blocks arrived today and they look great...will be taking all to the retreat and let someone pick the winning name!
    V.