Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - August 2012

K8Orlando
11 years ago

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

In the midst of one of the hottest summers on record, are you in the mood for a little Fall color? This is the month to start gathering your scraps, because we'll be using some this month and lots more next month. For August we'll do "flying geese" in any and all of the colors of Autumn.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

August 2012

For August, our block is Dutchman's Puzzle. It's sort of a pinwheel setting of the classic flying geese pattern. It reminds me of swirling leaves so it seems perfect for Autumn colors. No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams.

You can find the Dutchman's Puzzle instructions here: Dutchman's Puzzle at www.quilterscache.com

I've attached pictures of the blocks I made for this one. You can see I made mine pretty scrappy, but if you want to use just 2 or 3 colors, that's OK too. You'll often see this block done with a background color and just 2 other colors so the pinwheel effect is more prominent.

NOTE: I used a light background on my blocks, but I have already received some with gold and tan backgrounds. They are gorgeous! Use whatever you want, as long as the overall effect is autumnal.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

Comments (77)

• jaceysgranny
    11 years ago

I'd like to join the lotto. It sounds like a lot of fun and there are already some gorgeous blocks. Please email me the address to mail them.

• jaceysgranny
    11 years ago

I'd like to join the lotto. It sounds like a lot of fun and there are already some gorgeous blocks. Please email me the address to mail them.

• jaceysgranny
    11 years ago

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thanks Kate, will bookmark this swap for future use of those directions. I made a 2nd block today with the fabric I already had cut and it turned out better than the first 1 I made. So will be mailing this 2nd one for the Lotto later this week.

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• wynative
    11 years ago

Kay,
    My 3 blocks are on their way : )
    Marie

• User
    11 years ago

Oops.... Marie,

Yes, I love your blocks, but they were supposed to go to Kate, rather than Kay. I plan to be mailing some birthday blocks in the next day or so. Kate, please send me your mailing address so I can forward them. Wish I had time to participate, but we're still moving our farm. And tending our new piggie litter.

Kay

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Address sent to Kay, Marie, JaceysGranny and Dawn.

If any of you didn't get it, please let me know!

Kate

• User
    11 years ago

Kate,
    Marie's blocks went in the mail to you today.

Kay

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumping this one back up. Lots of time left to make a block or two for August. We have some blocks but not as many as I expected this month; this is going to make a beautiful quilt and would make an appropriate gift for a husband, father or son, as well as a pretty quilt for Fall!

• calliope
    11 years ago

I have three done, Kate and will try to get them in the mail by mid-week next week. My husband was in hospital and my youngest g'son has been sick, so g'ma has been watching him a few days until he is not contagious anymore and can go back to his sitter during the day. Been so busy here, and I also have a new kitten, and the garden produce is coming on. Yadayada. I made three more September blocks to replace the ones I used in a quilt and already stole two of them for a new (unplanned) quilt. So I may send the one jewel box I have done or wait until I can do more. LOL

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Calliope...I'm exhausted just reading your email...hope you hubby and g'son are all on the mend very soon.

Kate, I may do another block...had a batik I fell in love with for this block that I've not made yet.
    V.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Thanks littlehelen. They are both doing fine. My DH was dx as a new diabetic, so we are doing some serious learning on life-style changes. My sweet little babboo, who is 2-1/2 is about recuperated from a childhood illness making the rounds locally. Just in time for the first days of school. Wait'll next week when the incubation period is up and all the little rug rats come home and share. I spent part of my childhood in Europe, where HFM disease is as common as chickenpox used to be, but nobody had heard of it around here. I would be immune, but I have a feeling some adults could be playing catch-up with this one. ;-) Oh btw, my pics were done with flash, so they aren't as pretty as those already posted, but here are my August blocks. This pattern would be a real winner, and if I win them, I'll make my third Dutchman's Puzzle quilt.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Here's mine, Kate. I'll mail it this week. Lois

• polardream
    11 years ago

Kate, I finished 3 blocks today so I will try to mail them tomorrow.

Sue

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Finally finished 2. As you might expect, ;-) the block works better if you interpret the directions correctly. I pressed the wrong way on the first. Then on the second things went quickly, but I inadvertently switched the fabric I wanted for the center. Oh well, they're done now! Sure hope they get there in time.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow - more yummy colors!

• lola99
    11 years ago

I used the no waste method and while it was fun/fast to make the flying geese units, it was a nightmare trying to get my final block assembled. I will definitely NOT use that method in the future.

I can't get to the PO today, but I'll mail it first thing tomorrow morning.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Kate, I noticed all the blocks made had neutral backgrounds? Should I remake since mine are colored outside the lines? No problem if I need to, I would put them on the mail before the week is out.
    V.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Littlehen,

Sorry to butt in, but in case you need a quick answer...

Kate posted this on her original post: NOTE: I used a light background on my blocks, but I have already received some with gold and tan backgrounds. They are gorgeous! Use whatever you want, as long as the overall effect is autumnal.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dawn!

V - your blocks are fine. Most I've received have light backgrounds but those that aren't will not be out of place. No worries!

Kate

• lola99
    11 years ago

Here is my block. It was mailed today.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Just mailed three to k8Orlando!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Pretty colors and good planning. I didn't keep anything but the extra triangles I stitched.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More squishies arrived today! We'll do the drawing tomorrow evening.

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Dawnp... Yes I did see Kate's post...but I had a flash of C- chick guilt for not conforming...I'm happily over it now...thanks! :-)
    btw: Everyone's blocks are gorgeouse! The lucky winner will have a beautiful quilt!
    V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have between 30 and 34 blocks this month, I think!

I'll get a final count when I get home from work today and send out the list of names to a volunteer who will randomly assign numbers to the names. Once that's done, we'll have another volunteer pick a number. By the end of the day, these blocks will belong to someone. I have this vision of a pretty border with maybe some applique in a couple corners. No matter what your plan is, these will be fun blocks to have!

Later... K

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How's this for an exciting lotto?!? 34 blocks and they are as pretty and vibrant as looking at fall foliage. Who wants to win them? I have a vision of many hands waving in the air and many voices shouting "Me! Me! Oh pick ME!"

So, who's on line and wants to help? I need someone to get the list - I'll send it by email - and then assign random numbers to the names. I'll also send you a link to a random number generator that makes this easy. Then you'll paste the numbers next to the names and send the list back to me so we both have it. Once I have it I'll ask someone else to pick a number and that number will indicate our winner.

I'm ready if you are!

Kate

• calliope
    11 years ago

I'm here Kate.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Calliope! I just sent the list and the link to the random number generator.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Back atcha, Kate.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, can someone other than Calliope post a number? We have 34 blocks but some quilters opted out of the drawing so there are 26 names entered. Please post a number from 1 to 26.

Ready, set, GO!!!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello? Anyone else there? I guess everyone is eating dinner right about now.

I'm going to go feed the dogs and cats and get our dinner started, then I'll be back.

Calliope, if you see a number posted before I get back and want to post the winner's name, go ahead.

Kate

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

7 SEVEN

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nannykins!

Congratulations, Theresa! YOu'll love these blocks!

• polardream
    11 years ago

Congratulations! So happy for you.
    Sue

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Oh wow!
    I just got back from a week away with my daughters and am getting caught up on e-mail and the site.
    What a wonderful surprise.
    All those blocks look terrific. Can't wait to see them in person.
    Thanks again Kate for all your work and to all you beautiful quilters.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    11 years ago

And since I have been twice lucky this year, Kate, please take my name out of the draw for Sept. and Nov.
    Theresa
    PS. Kate is probably saying "Oh no, mailing to Canada!"

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Congrats! Now the pressure is on as everyone waits to see what you create.
    P.S. Kate let us know if the postage goes over and we can chip in.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Wow, Theresa, twice this year. Good for you and congratulations. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Cool!! Congrats!!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations Theresa!!

I'm sure you'll love the blocks!

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Congratulations! We will be excited to see the quilt!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Twice lucky...!!! Wohoo for you! Looking forward to seeing your creations some day. Congratulations!
    V.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Congrats Theresa!! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Congratulations Theresa! You sure got some pretty Fall blocks!

Gwen

• jaceysgranny
    11 years ago

Congratulations Theresa! Can't wait to see the finished quilt.
    I know it will be beautiful!

Nancy

• calliope
    11 years ago

Very happy for you Nannykins! I thought fabrics this time around were particularly dramatic and this will make a wonderful quilt.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see what magic she works with these blocks. I wa eyeing a pretty apple print for sashing and border, in case I won them. Part of the fun is seeing what the winner does.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Now the pressure is on!!!!
    Theresa

• lola99
    11 years ago

Congrats Theresa! I'm sure you will make a stunning quilt.

Lola