Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Love/Hate Quilt

Posted by karpet (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 9:23

Reading Kate's response about her snail trail cat quilt made me think - How many times have you started a quilt that you were excited about and then stopped working on it because you didn't like how it was going so you put it away somewhere. Then you stumble across it one day and you like it again and you can't figure out what made it so distasteful that you put it aside way back when? Or when you pull it out, do you still dislike it?
Karlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Love/Hate Quilt

Normally I don't stop working on a quilt because I don't like how the design is going. That I can always alter and often do. I will stop however if the fabrics aren't working for me or I can't find the exact backing I'm looking for.
For me much of how a pattern works or doesn't work is dependent on the fabric choices and if that isn't just right no amount of work on it is going to make it a quilt I will want to finish.

o

I put projects away when I get bored with them. I find them later on and maybe put them away again. I have my SBS blocks only about half done and can't seem to get myself to drag them out now that I have more exciting things to do. Someday. They make a good retreat project as they are small. If I make ten at retreat each year, it will only take me another 8 years or so.

o

It's happened to me a few times--get inspired by something and when I'm into it decide it's not working for me.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure when that feeling comes upon me and are time won't change my mind. Next time I'm organizing the UFO's, I'll offer it to someone at my quilting get-together. This keeps the UFO list pared down to projects I truly want to complete.

At this point in my life, I can't imagine wasting my time dragging through something I'm not enjoying. And I don't have the room to store something I'll never complete.

o

I have one scrap quilt of fish that I made over six years ago that is at a crib size right now. I didn't really care for it since I was using up calico scraps in it and at the time I wanted a stash that was tone-on-tone fabrics. Then I got this idea of adding other blocks like frogs, turtles, dragonflies, to the edges to build it out to a full size. I still kind of like that idea, but not enough to make it a priority. When I do look at it I don't dislike it now as much as when I stopped working on it and I'm also using more fabrics now than just tone-on-tones.
Karlene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here