Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
string quilt addiction

Posted by fran1523 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 9:16

Lately I've been obsessed with making string quilts in an attempt to use up some of these scraps. These went to my guild's community service project.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: string quilt addiction

They came out nice, Fran! Great use of your scraps!

Donna

o

Fran, I seem to have the same addiction with strings at this time that I had with crumbs a few years ago. I think I prefer the ones that have the same color-way at the center of each block as you have done.....might have something to do with trying to be in control of organized chaos. @:)

Nice quilts, Fran.

SharonG/FL

o

Very nice! We get rid of our scraps and give something to someone else. A win/win!

Teresa

o

I like the controlled colorways also. I just returned two books to the library on string quilts - these quilts were very controlled and beautiful.
I need a bigger variety of fabrics - but I am saving them!
You guys have thought me well :-)

o

Great. I like string quilts and have a crate full of strips that I plan on using someday. I like the scrappy look. Good idea giving them away, agree a win win on that one.

o

Great way to use your scraps Fran. I still haven't been able to go really scrappy so mine would all coordinate. But, I'm working on this control issue.

o

I like those, too! The fabric I received recently that is already cut into strips would be great for a project like this. Thanks for the ideas.

Robbi

o

I have also made a lot of string quilts, and usually donate them to a local charity through my quild.
What I do is cut my fabric as I go, from the left overs of whatever I am working on at the time. It is a great way to use up the scraps, plus have something on hand to work on when you do not want to be involved in a major project.... like when you want to sew, but have nothing specific in mind. By doing this by about time an idea hits you, you have a bunch of strings already to go and cut!

o

Fran, those are really great projects. I need to start using more of my scraps & those are a great way to do it. I really like the second one - I have a hard time giving over to true scrappy - that one has more of a "planned" look to it!
Sue

o

They are gorgeous!!! Strings are on my 'to do' list.
Rosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here