Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend?July 13-15

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I am working on a black and white log cabin quilt that I started in a class in 2009. It is slow going because I have to insert bright bits of fabric into some of the logs in each block. I have been working on this all week and have 20 blocks finished. I need 35 total.

Are you sewing this weekend?

Linda OH

Comments (28)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Doing mega loads of laundry after our company left. May not get near the machine. Here is a black and cream log cabin with a bit of red in it.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I have all the pieces laid out for a small quilt (25") to go with a stuffed bear, so I'd like to finish that this weekend. I also want to get a couple of hand work projects started to take on our cruise. After that I want to make 4 more minis for my guild's silent auction, so that ought to keep me busy till our cruise - we leave EARLY July 26!

Donna

• calliope
    11 years ago

We are getting a respite from the searing temperatures of the past two weeks and that means I can sit and do some hand quilting on the Dutchman's Puzzle baby quilt with a glass of tea at my side and just enjoy. It's going fast. Started doing the hand stitching yesterday afternoon and it's a quarter finished already. I expect to work on it, off and on, for the next week a little at a time. Hubby has a family reunion this weekend out of town. If I go with him, it's small enough to take with me and occupy my time as they sit and chat about times gone by and people I don't know. LOL.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

I doubt it. I'm moving two weeks from Monday and will continue packing and cleaning out and throwing out.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Oooooo, Theresa, I love your log cabin quilt. The red binding is perfect.

I have to take my Janome 6600 in for its first annual tune-up on Monday, so I hope to get some quilting done this weekend. Then on Monday, I will try my new Janome Jem for the first time. I think I will wait until I get my 6600 back to continue the FMQ and applique work that I'm doing on my tablerunner and pineapple quilt. Maybe I can start doing the piecing for the border of the pineapple quilt on the Jem. It's all cut out. I think the Jem has all the features I need for FMQ and applique, but I don't have a custom work surface to set the machine into so I have a level field to work on. We'll see. I think I'm just spoiled. The table that the 6600 fits into is just wonderful, but it doesn't fit the Jem.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Theresa, I love love love your black/cream/red log cabin!!!

Not sure I'll get to quilting this weekend but I sure would like to. If I do everything on my chores list tomorrow, then maybe I can sneak into the sewing room on Sunday.

Kate

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

If the grand-kids come for the weekend, no. But we might have to postpone them coming until next weekend. DH has had an upper respiratory infection (again) and is much better but not completely well. I've been fighting lower back pain for over 3 weeks now and although the back seems to be easing off some, the sciatic nerve is giving me fits. If they don't care that we don't feel well and won't be doing anything it's fine if they come but we won't be the most picture-perfect grandparents to be with I'm afraid. But then the oldest (10) broke his toe this past week so he's going to be hobbling around, too. Maybe I'll tell them they can come if the younger one (7) agrees that she will wait on all three of us hand and foot, think that will fly?? LOL!!!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Good luck with that plan Rita. We had company this past week and I was not well. Two days after they had been here, my DIL said she didn't know I was sick.
    I guess I should have gone to bed and stayed there, she might have noticed then.
    Nothing serious (sinusitis) but annoying all the same and we try to be "picture-perfect", and carry on, don't we. (rant, rant)
    Theresa

• polardream
    11 years ago

Thought I was going to get some sewing today, but had to go sub at Bingo. (Our Lions club sponsors bingo 2 times/week!) Anyway ... just got home. Need to clean house since we are hosting our church group for a potluck tomorrow night and get my dish figured out. I haven't spent hardly any time weeding my garden since we got back from our trip so I need to work that in too ... and we're house sitting for a neighbor too! Geez - it never ends! Maybe on Sunday I can sew but need to go buy backing fabric to sandwich a finished top. Hoping for rain Sunday then I won't feel guilty about being inside!
    Sue

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Linda, care to share some pix of the squares you've got completed? They sound cool.

Theresa, nice quilt! Those bits of red add just the right amount of "spice" to it!

Rita, be careful what you wish for, that 7-year old may just take that challenge! Lol, then you'll be at her mercy, and she'll be loving it so much she'll want to "command the troops" even when you're well! Enjoy!

I probably won't be doing any sewing tomorrow, but may get the chance to do so on Sunday. Tomorrow is the last day of the National Cherry Festival, so we're planning on hitting the parade, which means about 3-4 hours in the sun. Don't get me wrong though, I much prefer the sun to the snow! I've put a link below so you can check out what the festival is all about. Sunday, I don't plan on going anywhere, and that means I'm getting into my fabric and playing! I'm still working on my woven quilt, and I've got some other quilt projects to work on as well as needing to rip all the seams out on one I've almost gotten finished, then decided to do differently. ***sigh*** They have to be just perfect, don't they? Lol!
    Talk to you all later...
    Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: National Cherry Festival

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Linda- Sounds like a pretty log cabin quilt!
    Theresa - Love your log cabin quilt! I have made some LC blocks but never a whole quilt....must put that on my to do list.
    Dan- Must put the Cherry Festival on my bucket list....sounds like a good time!

I am plugging away on my Mossy Radiation quilt that I am donating to the family shelter that my sister works at. My deadline is Aug 5th so will be working on it every chance I get. I just finished sewing 52 2 1/2" strips together and these will be cut into very large triangles. Then a 2 1/2" border of a really pretty yellow. To make it queen size I will make a border of 4 patches then a final 6" border. Still lots to do!

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dan, here is a link to the first three blocks I made in the class. This was the second post I made on my blog back in 2009.
    I made 9 more blocks today for a total of 29. Only 6 more to make!
    I will take more pictures tomorrow when I have better light.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Confetti Log Cabin blocks

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I like those blocks. An interesting variation on a "plain, old LC". Is it hard to decide where to put colour or what colour to use? I would be going bonkers trying to figure it out. It will be a smashing quilt.
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Theresa, it is not hard but does take time. I make up lots of strips with the colors inserted and then cut them to the correct length as I lay out the strips for each block.
    I have 3 flannel covered boards and lay out all the strips for one block on each board. I can sew three blocks and then go back and cut and lay out strips for 3 more blocks. I am down to 6 blocks to make. I should have then finished today! Yippee!
    Linda OH

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Nannykins,
    I love the quilt, especially finished off in red binding. Never tried a log cabin yet, but seeing that one gets me thinking.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Boy the colors in the confetti blocks are getting my creative juices flowing. Can't wait to see the quilt.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Aaaarrkkk! I see a mistake in my quilt! One quarter of a block got turned the wrong way. How could I not have seen it? I have looked at the pictures I took of it and never noticed before but there it is staring at me and for all the world to see. Aaaaarrkkk!
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The blocks are finished, all 35 of them! I layed them out on my bed for a pic. It will get borders with a flange in the binding.
    Linda OH

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Oh that is really neat!!!!
    Theresa

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

lindaoh That looks great! It will make a really cheery bedroom.
    and nannykins, I can't see it, maybe it's the angle of the photo, but obviously it's not an eyesore ;-)

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous quilts!!

I hope everyone under the weather gets well soon.

We are out to eat Saturday for Dad's bday and having company Sunday. I hope to play with mt scrappy irish Chain some!!
    Rosa

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Theresa

I had to really study the picture to see it but it does not jump out at you. Every quilt needs a mistake because only God is perfect!

Mary

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I wasn't sure it the yellow border worked on my Mossy Radiation quilt to I took it outside and took a picture. I like it so will carry on. Here is a photo of the quilt top so far.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

And here is a picture of the one I made last year. I used the same floral fabrics for the strips with the addition of a few. Amazing how the sashing and borders make such a difference.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Really eye-catching! Lots of sewing there.
    Theresa

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Lots of sewing but easy to make. It is just 2 1/2 inch strips sewn together and then cut into triangles. You do have to be careful with stretching though because the triangles end up with bias edges.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Beautiful. The variety is amazing with just a few changes.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I didn't get to sew anything this weekend. :~((

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County