Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

QofTD - Jul 30,2011-Favorite Size

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

What is your go-to size for making a quilt?

Do you have a minimum size you aim for when completed, before washing that is still a good size after shrinkage?

I don't want puny quilts - I have been making a variety of sizes - find the 60" wide before washing is okay for a single lap-I aim for longer 66"-72".

The design of the quilt dictates the finished size, but I aim for larger rather than smaller.

My baby & toddler kid quilts can be small. Easier to drag:)

What is your target size?

Comments (9)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

If it's for an adult, 60"X72"ish if for a child, 45"X60"ish. I really don't want to do anymore bed size quilts unless it's commissioned.

SharonG/FL

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I am on a baby quilt roll. I aim around 35 to 45 inches square for them. I'm with Sharon, I don't really want to do any more bed size, or should I say, start any more :).

Rebecca

• polardream
    12 years ago

I tend to go for "the bigger the better" size! 60 x 72 for sofa/lap quilt, 48 x 60 for kids. I'm giving a queen size quilt for a wedding gift ... I guess it all depends on what the occassion of the quilt is!
    Sue

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I enjoy making lap-size when I just want to make something just because. I've only made 2 queen-size quilts and don't particularly like to commit to them. I've made a few twin-size and a couple of baby quilts and at one time was making miniature quilts. Lap size right now is the best.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I really enjoy making baby quilts. They are small enough to quilt easily and they don't take so long that I lose interest lol!!!!
    My family says that the 60 inches are not long enough for them to tuck their feet under, and of course the grands want it to go over their heads so they can scrunch under them. I agree that queen size is difficult. Right now I am making a 80x? denim and an at least twin size for a gift for Christmas.
    I have never been drawn to making minis but I love to see the ones other have made.
    Rosa

• calliope
    12 years ago

Other than baby quilts, and I haven't made but three of them, one to fit a twin bed is the smallest I shoot for. I like them large enough to at least cover the entire matress with a bed skirt and accomodate a pillow. I'll sometimes make one without the added length of pillow because I can use them on my daybed and also they're handy for throwing on at night for warmth. Doesn't have to double as a bedspread. Most I've made would fit a queen and I'm working on a king now. Argh. I'm doing it in three sections because I am machine quilting. It's so much easier to fit the machine like that.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I have made everything from King to potholders but know there will never be another King.
    I have made mostly queen sized quilts other then wall hangings which I used to sell. I really don't have a preference. I let the pattern tell me where I am going. Have enjoyed making the children sized quilts as they are easier to quilt. Now the bigger ones will be sent out.lol.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I make all sizes but I think I like making sofa/nap quilts best. I can quilt them myself and handle the free motion quilting. It's a great size for gifting too. At a minimum they'll be 45-48" wide but some I do up to 60". Length can be anywhere from 60" to 72" depending on how tall the recipient is.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Baby quilts usually end up about 40x60". But my lap quilts run large - about 65x80 because we have tall men in my family.

Mostly I make queen-sized and king-sized quilts.