Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

July Quilting Goals

Summer seems to be a down time for quilting so I thought I'd bring back the to-do list for awhile. You do know Christmas isn't that far off, right? lol

Binding on Aunt Marty's quilt (UFO)

Catch up on BOW

Finish D9P top with blues and crumbs

My goal for the year is to complete one UFO per month. Hoping to be able to double up on that.

SharonG/FL

Comments (32)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Thanks for keeping us on track, Sharon! LOL

Quilt and bind 4 more minis for AAQI (to make a total of 12)
    Register and ship minis to AAQI
    July block of Ode to Blue & Grey
    Work on log cabin quilt for hubby's 50th BD in Oct
    Work a little on "decoy" projects so DH won't figure out I'm making a quilt for him! :>)

Donna

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

1. make my puzzle piece for Patti's round robin project

2. start on Sea Breeze nickel quilt for customer

3. finish up 3 baby quilts for my Etsy shop

4. cut strips for jelly roll Hugs & Kisses baby quilt, gift

5. repair binding and wash my son's quilt

plus, make 1 or 2 tops from smock pattern for myself

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I've got some more birthday blocks to work on.
    And I have 3 sets of pillowcases to make for the new king size quilt that's with the longarmer. I want to have them done by the time she finishes with it!
    I've been planning to get back to the hand applique project for the past couple months and haven't done it, so maybe I can get fired up about that again while it's too hot outside to be in the garden.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Finish the Jar Quilt- it is a surprise gift for my DH's Aunt & Uncle--just because. I finished the backing yesterday. I only have less then 2 weeks - yikes!

I ordered some fabric from Fabric.com yesterday that better be perfect for making a snow globe themed quilt for a niece for Christmas. I want to use some of the methods I learned in Sue Nichols' class. I hope to get it planned and one block done for July.
    I have 3 other tops that need to be quilted. I would like to get one done this month. I lose my skills if I have too much time between tops w/out quilting.

I would also like to get ahead on my Birthday Blocks.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I want to finish up my quarter Dresden blocks done with a foundation piecing method. But, I also want to start an entirely new project that might even make it to a bed one day, the Tennessee Waltz pattern with blues and greens on white.

I have so much FMQ to get done but my work area is in turmoil and transition so piecing is my only choice at the moment.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, I love your idea of having a 'decoy' project to keep your DH knowing about his quilt.

Teresa, You have quite a list going there. The jelly roll Hugs and Kisses looks like it will be fun.

Kate, The pillowcases will go fast once you get started on them. Yeah, it's too hot to be outside for any length of time, so set your applique by your chair, turn on some music or a good movie and enjoy!

Marsha, Ohhhhhhh, the Snow Globe quilt will be awesome! The first time I saw one, I practically swooned. @:)

Linda, Blues and Greens will look really pretty together for the TN Waltz pattern. I see it has giving a serene feel to it.

I want to try something new this week to see if it helps me focus any better. Designate each day, or part of that day, for every project I'm working on. LOL....if I follow through with this, I might actually get something done! Here it is almost noon and I'm still at the computer. Should get the potato salad for tomorrow started..then maybe I can get some sewing in this afternoon.

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Everyone is so ambitious--I will be happy if I can finish off the Sylvia blocks. I have about 26 more to do and then I can start putting together. Will be glad to have that over with. lol.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sharon, please tell me about the snow globe quilt you saw - I've never seen one, but I am planning away. I have sent this 16 year old snow globes for every occasion since she was an infant - she has quite a collection & she will be very surprised this coming Christmas!
    I am all for suggestions - I've linked the fabric I bought and a few of the coordinates, not like me to buy coordinates. I plan to cut out the individual circles and applique them as the snow globe part. I may like to cover them with a shimmery fabric of some sort, but I want it washable and used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow globe to be

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fatcatpatterns has both snow globes and gumball patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great quilting on this one!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I had forgotten about this quilt! I saved it for the quilting to practice snowflakes! LOL -Thanks!

• lola99
    12 years ago

I'm only going to put one thing on my list of things to do, because I REALLY hope to: finish quilting my circle quilt.

But it is a busy month with a lot of non-quilting things that need to get done so if I don't finish quilting it this month, there is always August...

• msmeow
    12 years ago

It's only the 8th, but I have finished and registered my minis for AAQI...just waiting to hear back from them with quilt numbers and shipping instructions.

I've gotten a lot done on the log cabin quilt, too...I should be able to finish the blocks tomorrow while DH is at work. He's been suspiciously quiet about what I'm working on...usually he asks me what I've been doing and likes to see my projects, but this week he hasn't asked anything, and the other day he spent a while studying the contents of the trash can, which was lots of green & blue scraps from cutting strips for the LC. So...I think he's figured out that I'm making something for him...but he still doesn't know what! :)

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I finished my Jar Quilt - now if I can find the darn label I made and put in a safe place - been looking for 3 days!!!

I received my fabric for the snow globe quilt - it is so awesome! Even DH thinks it is perfect - and he rarely comments. I am sucking him in slowly :-)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

MRG - thanks for the reminder about labels! I haven't done the label yet for the quilt I just finished and want to have it ready as soon as I get the quilt back from the longarmer.

I've done 2 sets of pillowcases, as planned, and may not do the 3rd pair. I have solids that go well with the ones already done.

Although I planned to get back to the hand applique, I haven't done that yet. But I have gotten inspired to (finally!) start work on the Americana tavern signs quilt. I had kind of a rocky beginning but now I'm having so much fun with it! I'll post more about it in a couple days when I take pictures. I'm so glad that I waited a year until I had a better idea of what to do with this fabric.

Kate

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I have a baby quilt I need to put borders on and send off to the LA quilter before she moves her store at the end of the month. I have a dresden plate quilt that I have been working on for about 2 years that I need to finish. I have 7 out of 36 plates left to attach to the background by hand and then assemble the blocks.

Not much to do, just really not motivated lately!

Going to the AQS Quilt Expo here in Knoxville next week. I missed last year and this is the last year it will be here. Hopefully I will be inspired and finish all the UFO's I have laying around.

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: AQS Quilt Expo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jayne, Are you only working on the Sylvia blocks? It'll be beautiful when you're finished.

lola....Yep, August follows July. lol I'm notorious for carrying goals from month to month. Get those non-quilting things taken care of and quilt when you can.

Donna, He was studying the contents in the trash can? LOLOLOL Oh yeah, he's thinking...let us know how he reacts when he gets his quilt.

mago, Can't wait to see that fabric!

Kate, Don't you love it when inspiration kicks in?

Rebecca, Only 7 more plates to put on.....you're almost done, just keep going....you'll get there. @:) Don't be so down about having UFO's....I have so many I can't count them all. I thought I did, but just today I found another one.....sigh. Maybe the Expo will give you a boost. I think it's been so hot and humid, it zaps us in a lot of ways.

I'm almost caught up with the BOW....have 2 more to do, and I almost have the D9P together. I'll be working on Aunt Marty's this week, I promise. The binding is ready so I need to trim the quilt and then sew on the binding.

Hope everyone has a good week.

SharonG/FL

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I just want to have some time to quilt! There is also the AQS show in Knoxville this week. I really hope I can convince my dh to take me on Saturday :-)

Robbi

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Got my baby quilt top done!

Rebecca

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I've got 2 more birthday blocks done; this gets me 1/2 way though September!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Good progress Kate! I think I pooped out on my goals after I finished the Jar Quilt & labeled & washed 2 quilts for gifts. I got side tracked making a Nine Patch Pizazz quilt top - what fun!
    After you get the hang of it & start laying it out, it is quite fun & addicting & fast, if you don't play around too much with the block arrangement --like I am doing :)

• polardream
    12 years ago

I meant to post earlier this month ... really! Now the month is almost over!
    I finished a baby quilt (July 10 shower) for a friend's daughter.

Put sashing between squares of stack & slask (done) Now I need to find backing & sandwich. If I get that far this month it will be a miracle!

Decide about going to Camp Cheerio - YEP, I'm going.

I think I am in that slump we talked about in another thread!

Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sue, It doesn't look like you're in a slump! lol Keep thinking about the retreat and what you'll be taking you'll be out of that slump in no time!

Did I miss the picture of the Pizazz quilt?

I took Aunt Marty's quilt to her today, am caught up on the BOM, have 2 more BOW's and I'll be caught up with those. Course, another one comes out on Sunday. @:) The Crumby D9P is ready for the second border. I just might be able to get that on before month end. @:)

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sharon - is Aunt Mary's quilt the tie quilt? I hope you took a picture for us!

I haven't posted a picture of the Nine Patch Pizazz quilt yet. I'll post one soon. It really is a quick fun method using up those special large prints.
    Sue - cute baby quilt!

I ordered more fabric for the snow globe quilt - the snow part. Really anxious to get it started.

I still hope to get my August b'day block completed before the end of the month.

Posting goals is suppose to keep me on track - except I made a quilt top instead - that's okay-but I really want to also accomplish my list.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aunt Marty's quilt is the Nesting Row Robin/Log Cabin I posted. The tie quilt is still in the works. Half of the handwork is completed and I'm hoping to get a good start on the second half this week.....if the cat will stay off of it long enough.

I have the nine patch pazazz book....hoping to do something with it that ends up looking half-way decent.

Remember the blocks I posted of neutral strips that turned into Butterscotch Swirl???? Started putting those together this morning. By the time we got back from DD's this afternoon, we were pretty much beat by the heat and neither one of us have done anything but nap. @:)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Yesterday I got the blocks done for Mark's quilt! Here it is laid out on the design wall.
    {{!gwi}}

And here are the minis for AAQI

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Donna, You are sew busy~lol
    When is his Birthday?
    How are you going to quilt it without him seeing it?
    It is going to be so pretty....I mean handsome. I love it!

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Love your log cabin quilt! I haven't seen one laid out in that way. Such a versatile block and one I haven't made yet!

Rebecca

• msmeow
    12 years ago

MRG, his BD is Oct. 19. I haven't figured out yet how to quilt it without him seeing it! LOL I have zippered leaders on my frame...maybe I can quilt when he's working and zip it off before he comes home.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Donna, why don't you just throw a decoy quilt on top when he is there just to confuse him??? Even though you have zippered leaders, it is still going to add time and planning.
    Isn't it fun to pull a surprise over on our DH's?

Do you like your zipper leaders? I float my quilts - intended on making ZL - but did not- I only need 2 - for the take up and bottom of backing - & extra to turn --do you recommend it?

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Good idea! LOL

To be honest, I almost never use the zippers. I haven't quilted a big quilt in a long time, and for something smaller it seems quicker and easier to just pin it and not waste the thread sewing the backing to the leaders.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Thanks Donna - ZL can wait longer :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, I love the quilt you're making!!! Don't think I've ever seen the houses like this. Really really nice!!!!

All my goals have been met! WooooHooo...ok, so there weren't so many, but I didn't want to stress myself. Even the Butterscotch got two borders put on it! As I was going through and straightening up, I found some black flowery squares of fabric (turned out not so square) that had been sent to me so I'm in the process of making med green and gold Hourglass blocks to frame them. It's mundane, but I like it.

Cannot believe that August is almost here. WOW!

SharonG/FL (sorry, will not be going to the retreat this year)