Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

I bought a new toy yesterday, and I'm afraid to tell dh...

Robbi D.
13 years ago

I went to the quilt shop to buy some Solvy to do some embroidery, and left with a new sewing machine!! It's a Brother PQ-1500S. The shop is moving (just down the shopping center),so they had a great sale on a floor model, and I couldn't resist. Dh worked late and I just didn't have the guts to tell him. I would have been using it, but I had a Girl Scout leaders meeting in the evening, so I didn't even have a chance to set it up! any suggestions on how to tell him?

Comments (31)

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

Make his favorite meal. It always works for me! Butter him up like a roll.

Congrats on your deal and have tons of fun!

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

and maybe while wearing something slinky!

Congratulations, what a wonderful toy. Have fun with it.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

refining the above suggestions....Serve his favorite meal wearing something slinky that you made with the new Brother & later butter him up like a roll - then tell him! He says "No honey, take it back and get the bigger, more expensive model!" ~LOL~snap! you've got kids at home - back to reality!
    Be brave! Just blurt it out!!! And apologize that you had a weak moment, and couldn't resist! And make his favorite dinner! Happens to us all - machines keep following me home!
    Have fun!!!

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Well, if he's anything like my DH...

I did a similar thing when I got my current Brother machine. They had been used for a few days at the Sewing & Quilt Expo, so were on sale for half price. This was before I had a cell phone and I didn't have any way to call home, so I just bought one!

The first day of the Expo (before I'd even thought about buying a machine) I came home and jokingly said "You're welcome" and he asked for what, so I told him "I didn't buy a $5,000 sewing machine!" He rolled his eyes. Two days later I came home and said again that I didn't buy a $5,000 sewing machine, but I needed his help getting something out of the car! :) He took it very well. He figures anything that keeps me as happy as I am when I'm sewing is worth it. Since then I got a second machine and a quilting frame, and he was okay with that, too!

Or you could just set it up and start using it, and if he's as oblivious as most hubbies, he'll never notice it's a different machine. Of course, he may notice the charge on the credit card bill! :)

Donna

• jck1210
    13 years ago

I second the refined suggestion of MRG!!!

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Hide it in a closet for several weeks, then bring it out and start using it on a weekend. IF dh notices and asks about it....you simply say..... "what? this machine? oh, I've had this one for quite some time....."

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If I do the silky outfit, I'll have to send the kids away for the evening, but you guys know how he thinks :-)

Donna, I can use the cell phone excuse. I didn't have my cell phone on me and he had a very busy day at work where I probably wouldn't have been able to get a hold of him anyway. And, like you said, I didn't buy a $5,000 machine!!

magothyrivergirl, Yes, it was a weak moment. I've been talking about this machine for some time and fussing at my embroidery machine for the past few days, so this shouldn't be too big of a surprise.

I'm supposed to have a girls-night-out tonight, so maybe after a few glasses of wine, I'll have the guts to blurt it out when I get home?

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

teresa, LOL!! If I wait too much longer, that will be the truth!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Or, just tell him "Thank you sooooo much!" for the wonderful birthday/Christmas/whatever gift that was delivered....while telling him how thoughtful he is to be thinking of you.....as you are smooching and showing your graditude.

SharonG/FL

• gininmn
    13 years ago

magothyrivergal said "Be brave! Just blurt it out!!! And apologize that you had a weak moment, and couldn't resist! And make his favorite dinner!"

Agree completely. And definitely don't forget his favorite dessert!

• msmeow
    13 years ago

I like Sharon's suggestion! He was so wonderful to buy you exactly the machine you'd been looking at! And he didn't even remember doing it! LOL

Donna

• itsmesuzq
    13 years ago

Be sure to tell him how much money you SAVED by buying the floor model. Men usually like to hear the business side of why you bought it. And mention that it makes you so happy to have a new machine to work with - a happy wife means a happy husband. lol

Susan

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Set it up and use it and see just how long it takes for him to notice lol!!!
    It would be years before I lost enough weight to do the slinky!
    Rosa

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

I am with Rosa, let he discover the new machine for himself. Then there is never anything wrong with just telling him the truth your partners remember, tell him he can uses it anytime he would like. Jayne

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

First, tell him that the car has some expensive part that is broken and has to be fixed. Then tell him that you got pulled over for speeding and that it's a $350 fine and points on your driving so the insurance is going up. Then finally tell him that one of your relatives (one that he can't stand) is coming to visit for an indefinite amount of time. After he peels himself off of the ceiling, tell him "I was just kidding, actually I bought a new sewing machine." He will be grateful that the other stuff isn't true and won't get mad.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Well..........just laughing and shaking my head. I like to play role reversal when I have questions like that. IOW, would my husband be equally as afraid to bring home an expensive man toy? Would he be wondering how to break it to me? Har, har, har. (Picking self up from floor where I landed after the laughing fit).

I managed to keep my cool when he came home one time and told me he bought a piece of land at an auction on the spur of the moment. He did sell it some time later and actually made enough profit on it to renovate our kitchen. (So glad I kept my cool, and didn't have to see how good crow tastes).

Also has brought home expensive tools and has more weed eaters than hands. LOL. I tend to let him in on my purchases but whether he likes them or not, doesn't stop me. I trumped his land with a house. Still laughing. Also made a profit on it.

Unless you do this routinely and often, and if you didn't have to mortgage the house......I think I'd do what maghothyrivergal said and just blurt it out.

(I did, however, hide a rescured kitten in a back bedroom successfully for a month until I could figure out how to tell him and the roofer blew my cover).

• kay6271
    13 years ago

My hubby crunched (as in totaled) my car about a month ago. When we shopped for a replacement, I opted for the somewhat older model, saving us just about the cost of the Juki I've been drooling over. So the day after getting the car, I ordered the Juki with the money we "saved"!

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Did you spend the mortgage money? Do you still have food to feed the family? Can you afford it?

Does your DH ask you every time he buys a new tool?

Don't hide it, flaunt it. Why are you even considering apologizing for it?

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Or......put away your current machine and put the new one in its place and see if he notices?

I once had a customer in my retail job who was buying some great red Italian pottery from us. She once told me she was adding a cup here, a bowl there so she wouldn't be stocking the cabinets with a lot of new pottery. She also said when I called her to tell her the order was in to just say "Hi, Anne, it's Teresa.....drop by and see me soon!" I was not to mention the new pottery is here! LOL!

• calliope
    13 years ago

OMGosh, I am still laughing. I never thought about him not even noticing. I went to England for a couple weeks to visit my daughter and her husband. I left with hair down to my bottom. I had to lift it to sit down, and came back with it cropped short and a little Celtic tattoo on my shoulder. He didn't notice either until I brought it to his attention a couple days after I got home.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Now THAT'S funny, Calliope!

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys are hilarious!! Calliope, I can't believe he didn't notice your hair!! My dh also buys land at the tax sale auctions. There is one piece the state is looking at and he could make a good profit, so I had to eat my words on that purchase, too.

No, I didn't break the bank or have to use the mortgage payment to buy the machine. I'm just not used to buying something that expensive without discussing it with him first. (We're both good about doing that.)

Well, I still haven't told him yet. I went out with the girls last night so, I only saw him for about an hour and really didn't think the time was right. My older machine is an embroidery machine and the new one is a straight stitch quilting machine, so I really can't swap them out. That is one reason I bought this machine. I can't do any sewing while the older machine is doing it's embroidery (I've pointed this out to him numerous times, LOL!!).

I don't have it hidden, but he isn't the most observant person either (it's sitting on the floor with a cover on it and he's walked by it at least a dozen times). But when I set it up, I think it will be obvious because I will have to set up a separate table for it. I think I'll do that this afternoon and see what he says when he gets home. I'd really like to start sewing on it!

(((Taking a deep breath))) I'll update you tomorrow (or late this evening?)

Thanks for all the laughs, this has been a fun thread.

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Calliope, I've had lots of haircuts my DH didn't notice, but the most extreme was cutting off about 8". He kept looking at me funny, but didn't say anything. I finally told him I'd had a bunch of hair cut off!

Odessa, that's too funny about the weed eaters. My hubby has so many screwdrivers and socket wrenches he could open a hardware store, but of course he can't ever find just the right one in the garage and has to go buy another. And he doesn't buy one - he buys a set.

Donna

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna, that is true with us and the tools. I can't ever find a tool if I need one. I'll buy one and tell dh it stays in the house and next time I need it, it's at the barn or garage!

Well, I told dh at the end of dinner. He smiled, stood up, said "good for you" and gave me a kiss!!! Then he asked if that was what I was fussing about the other night. I was having problems with my stabilizers and the embroidery piece I was working on. Very frustrating.

Don't I have a wonderful dh????

Now, to set it up :-)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

You lucky quilter! What a great DH you have! Tell him we all think he is wonderful!!!

Teresa

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

You DO have a wonderful DH! You should also have more confidence in yourself and your decisions - he clearly supports you in them.

Enjoy the new machine!

• msmeow
    13 years ago

That's great that he encourages you! Reminds me...I had my MIL's old serger (probably a 1970's model) and that thing was the most impossible and frustrating machine to thread! One day I had been struggling with it for a really long time - even enlisted DH's help. Finally he said, "Why don't you just buy a new one?" I was out the door before he finished the question! LOL

Donna

• lola99
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear he was so supportive. This has been a fun thread.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Yea!! I see a frame in your future......one step at a time:)
    Great guy ~ always break "news" of any kind after dinner!

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Congratulations on getting over that hump. I am not surprised, he sounded like a good guy. Enjoy your new toy. I am the one how is reluctant on buying things, my DH is always pushing me to get something new. New fabric is not one of my hesitations thought.Jayne

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    13 years ago

magothyrivergirl, yes, I want a frame!! I'm not sure where I would put one, but I'd love to have one!!

nanajayne, I've been eyeing this machine for some time, so I think I was lucky when it came on sale. Maybe it was meant to be?

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company