Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

Birthday Block Exchange Community General Discussions - July

sandlapper_rose
12 years ago

This thread is for the members of the Birthday Block Exchange and is a place to post pictures and share other information so we can get to know each other better.

I am the person who will provide help this month if there are any concerns about the blocks being sent or received. Meanwhile, I can't believe it is July already!

If you read the postings on the June thread, you will see that we are discussing whether to continue the Birthday Block Exchange in 2012 or to take a year off. Please feel free to continue to give your comments on this. Many in the group have unfinished quilts and thought this might give us a good chance to get caught up as well as to try some other things such as the Block Lotto, Block of the Month, etc. If we do not have an "exchange" next year, we could certainly keep a month thread on the forum so we can keep in touch and see pictures of the completed quilts.

I said this in June and will say this again, the Birthday Block Exchange doesn't belong to me or to Kristene (who is the other coordinator this year) so we want to do what the group prefers to do. Keep the ideas coming!

I hope everyone has a safe - and fun - Independence Day weekend.

Jeanne

Comments (8)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, things have been mightly quiet here. I thought I would pop in. How is everyone doing? We have been getting some rain and some temperatures below the 90's so I am much happier weather-wise!
    Kristene has been ill so keep her in your thoughts and prayers. She should be feeling much better soon.
    I have been working on some quilt projects and will try to post some pictures before the end of the month. Has anyone completed a quilt from her 2011 birthday blocks lately? Stitch, stitch, stitch - if and when you can!
    Jeanne

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

My 2010/2011 combo birthday block quilt is at the longarmer right now, Jeanne! I hope to have pictures for you all very, very soon.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Kristene~I hope you are feeling better. Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.

I have given the BD Blocks for next year alot of thought, and (for today anyway) I have decided to play catch up for 2012. Perhaps a separate thread titled "What to do for BD Blocks 2012" with a survey of options may elicit more direct responses. I'm not sure many open this monthly conversation.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good idea about the separate heading. I think I will do that towards the end of August which will give us time to get feedback and decide what to do. The rest of July and most of August will be busy for me.
    Even if we do not have our usual full year of block exchanges, I would like to have a few activities next year for those who have been participating. I'll list the ideas I have when I do the posting with the special heading. If anyone else has ideas that would be based on signing up for a one-time event during that year - personally I would like to do several - let me know. I was thinking of one where you trade a FQ with someone, another where you do something like send 5 charms, etc. Just something with very little time and effort involved for those who like to get quilt related things in the mail now and then. The "very little time and effort" would allow us to focus on our sewing that needs to get done! We could also select a "Birthday Pal" and send a card and a quilt item to that person on her birthday month - small item like a quilt magazine (even a gently used one), a spool of thread, a sewing notion of some type, etc. We could even do a "Secret Santa" for mail out in December 2012, again keeping the commitment small.
    I really would like to keep some type of group going for 2012 - every now and then - just to keep us in touch. I think if we do something like the things I mentioned, it would be open to anyone who participated in the Birthday Block Exchange in good standing in 2009, 2010, or 2011.
    Anyway, feel free to post here (those who are reading this) or send me an e-mail with thoughts and ideas and we will put up a heading later in the summer to make sure everyone gets to see it.
    This whole concept of small things to do might not be needed. The majority may want the Birthday Block Exchange as usual and that is totally fine. We will find out.
    Have a good weekend, everyone!
    Jeanne

• jackier123
    12 years ago

I enjoy the Birthday Block exchange and would love to see it keep going next year, but I also would like to see more of the little swaps etc.

Jackie

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I think a separate post is a good idea. I'm not sure yet what I want to do with this next year so I'll be eager to see the various options proposed.

Although I haven't participated much this year, I would like to see the lotto go back to being monthly. And maybe a quarterly activity like a swap or 'challenge quilt'. The challenges were a great way to get us thinking creatively and some of my favorite quilts over the past couple years were those I made for the challenges!

• User
    12 years ago

Kate, How does a challenge quilt work?

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Kay, click on the link here to see pictures of the quilts from a previous challenge. For that one, the challenge was to complete a project - any size, any type - that involved black and white fabrics, along with a color (or colors). Everyone sent their pictures to me and I posted them so they were all together, then we voted on them. It was fun and the entries were wonderfully varied and creative! I don't remember how much time we had to complete them but I think it was 3 or 4 months.

Another challenge involved stars and another was Pretty in Pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black, White and ? Challenge