Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mitering corners

Posted by littlehelen (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 8:03

I seem to have a mental block when it comes to mitering borders and bindings. I've done it a few times, but I'm rarely happy with the results. Does anyone have a recommendation for instructions that are easy to follow? Is is a matter of more practice?
V.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mitering corners

Leah Day has a great Machine Binding You Tube.
Whether you choose a completely Machine stitched binding or hand stitch to the back, her technique is very informative and precise. She covers mitering with close ups.

I use the red wonder clips to form my miters when I turn them before stitching - No distortion from pins.

Most of the time, I machine stitch to the back & flip to the front to also machine stitch. I practiced on small samples to come up w/a technique that suited my machine.
I took notes along the way on machine settings - stitch length, thread, needle type and size, pressure foot to use, etc. and when to stop, pivot, etc. It took alot of practice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leah Day Binding

o

Hi and Thanks for tip on Leah Day, I've not seen her video on mitering, but have viewed other video's, FMQ, good idea.
I think I am my own worst enemy; for whatever reason,I will labor over the how to sometimes...read web sites, watch video's, etc and then one day when I finally ask the question..Bingo..the light bulb goes off and I figure it out.
Finish mitering borders on my practice quilt and they look fine. Thanks for you input, I will check out her binding tips...I'm sure I'll learn something

o

I liked watching the Leah Day Binding video, thanks Magothyrivergirl. :-) That is helpful to watch. Happy 4th of July!!!

Best to you and many thanks,
Sandra

o

I like her explanation on how to join the ends. I have issues with that. Will keep her in mind on my next one. TFS

o

I am a new quilter and just used these(linked below) instructions. I thought the instructions were very clear and my corners came out nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Binding tutorial

o

I watched this tutorial on YouTube and I thought it was really well done. I have HATED doing mitered corners and her explanation of the corners and joining the ends was easy to follow.
Sue/polardream

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube mitered corners

o

Here's a link to a recent post about mitering corners. I like the 'no snouts' concept!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mitering corners - no snouts!

o

thank you all...I've watch the fast talker Kate recommended, polar dreams recommendation...liked her technique..just a tad different than what I've done before and the tutorial froom Dawn...learned something from each. Again thank you ... it's all helpful for my stubborn brain!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here