Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
QOTD July13th

Posted by vicky4x4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 6:24

Have you tried big stitch quilting?

I really LOVE the look of big stitch quilting but I have never tried it.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: QOTD July13th

I did this on a lap quilt I made for DH. The fabric I used for the top was some very sturdy linen, tightly woven, with a flannel backing (no batting). There was no way I could quilt this heavy sandwich using the normal thread and needle, and I didn't want to machine-quilt it. I used 100 percent mercerized cotton crochet thread and a heavy needle and the stitches were pretty large. It just about killed my fingers but it came out looking pretty good, it was an Amish-style design.

o

Love those examples! I have not done big stitch, but I like the look of it. Maybe this is traditional quilting's answer to sashiko?

Teresa

o

I never even heard of it before! I wonder how they get such beautiful straight lines? Mine would probably look more like a herringbone stitch.

I like the look! I love sashiko, too, and enjoyed the little bit I've done.

Donna

o

I've never done the big stitch, but it looks like it would look awesome with a simple block pattern and solid or TOT fabric so as better to show off the quilting. Rosa posted something about this a few years ago and was going to try it. Don't know if she ever did.

(Haven't seen her posting lately so sent her an email)

SharonG/FL

o

I'm almost set to go on a flannel quilt, and am considering using big stitches on that. I think we need to keep reminding ourselves that quilting is a folk art. There are certain principles of good sewing we shold follow for sound results, but we can get locked into rules so easily and stitch size has been one of them. It can be a very effective design tool as well as a time saver, especially for quilts bound for functional use.

o

So I have a question, Do you pull your knot through to the middle or does it stay on the back of the quilt? If you're using pearl cotton it seems it would be to large a knot to pull through....

Vicky

o

I have never used it. I think I might like it on a wall hanging but would be uncomfortable with it on a utility quilt. I would be worry about the stitches catching and not holding as well. mho. jayne

o

I've worked with flannels before on a quilt for my g'son and a knot in perle cotton is easy enough to pull through the larger weave on flannel. If you are using something like a muslin backing, you can always start the quilting thread with the knot by pulling through the front of the quilt where the flannel is, instead of the back.

o

Has and one seen the new machine that is dedicated to doing Sashiko stitching? I believe Baby lock makes it. Quite impressive but difficult to justify.

o

This is interesting, I never would have thought of doing this. Plan to keep this information in mind for down the road.
Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here