Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

QOTD July 23th

vicky4x4
12 years ago

Do you always have someone or something in mind for a quilt before you make it. Or do you sometimes make a quilt just for the sake of quilting.

I almost NEVER make a quilt without knowing who it is going to or to give away for a charity thing or the other.

I have never made a quilt just to do that pattern.

Vicky

Comments (8)

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

It varies. Sometimes I make a quilt because I have a person in mind, other times I see a pattern I want to make. For one of the first quilts I made, I decided I needed a purple quilt and bought a lot of fabric, then decided what pattern I was going to use. I sleep under that quilt every night and still just love it. So that one was because of color.
    This last one that I am working on, came about because I have always wanted a yo yo quilt but just didn't think I had it in me to make one of those wonderful ones where yo yo's are stitched to each other. I saw the magazine cover and after reading how easy it would be, I made that one. Don't have a plan of what to do with it, just making because I can!!!
    Murphy

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I rarely make a quilt just because. I almost always have a reason/recipient in mind when it's a purchase/plan of my own.

I did get some finished blocks from an estate sale a few years back, though, and those are slowly getting put together in quilts. These turn out to be charity quilts since they don't 'feel' like my work and I don't like to give them as gifts.

• chickie1
    12 years ago

I usually have someone in mind before I start a quilt because the process takes me so long to complete. I know some people think it doesn't take long to"whip out" a quilt. I would love to make a quilt because I saw the pattern or because I want to make a quilt a certain color. Maybe someday I will get to that stage. Right now I enjoy making quilts for others.
    Darlene

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

At this time of my life, I'm just playing with patterns and trying to get some UFO's finished. If a need comes up for a quilt and a UFO doesn't fit the bill, then I'll make one with that person in mind. Sometimes a person will come to mind as I'm putting fabric together. Right now, I'm working on 3 that were designated after I started them and 2 that was started with that person in mind.

SharonG/FL

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

I beleive that I am in the same boat as Sharon.

I always have something in the works, just because I like the pattern or have fabric that I just want to do something with, just for the enjoyment of the process.

Barbara

• fran1523
    12 years ago

In the last few years most of the quilts I make are just to enjoy the process, the challenge, and the creative outlet. I let them sit around finished until I find someone I want to give them to.

• bonica
    12 years ago

Mostly I just start. I love picking fabrics and patterns! Usually someone or something pops up that requires a quilt and that's what inspires me to finish the thing.
    Bon
    :)

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I do both. When there is an occasion to make one for someone I do but not on impulse. I often make one because I want to try a new technique or see a pattern that intrigues me. If someone admires it or needs it I pass it on. I play with different ideas, thus the UFO's.