Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

QOTD July 26th

vicky4x4
12 years ago

How old is your oldest UFO?

I started a house quilt about 20 years ago. I still have some of the blocks and a little bit of the fabric but that quilt will NEVER be finished. So my oldest UFO is really just LIS (lost in space!)

Vicky

Comments (12)

• nannykins
    12 years ago
    1. My sister and I took a learn to quilt class. We were making sampler blocks and it was a quilt as you go project. Mine is 95% finished. Once we learned that we should be using cotton not poly, ( which was all that was available then) it got put in a bag and hangs in a closet, never to see the light of day again.
  • teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Some 1930's butterfly blocks that I bought at a flea market years ago, added a few blocks of my own, and put them in a drawer. There they sit to this day.

I read that a lot of butterfly quilts were made in the 30's as the butterfly motif was seen as a ray of hope after the Great Depression.

Teresa

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Not too long. Maybe a 3 years or so? Since I'm new, I don't have much back log. I have most of the Baltimore album blocks done (first quilt I ever started). I only need a few more of them before the main part is done. Then there is the border. I know what I want to do for it, I just need the body of the quilt finished! Plus I needed a break from it for a while.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I think this is from 1999 but don't really remember. It's a cat quilt, done with a snail's tail block and appliqued cat faces. I started hating it about 2 blocks in to the project and ended up tossing it all in a box. It's still there. Honestly, I don't remember why I lost interest in it because this picture makes it look kinda cute.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I started a quilt for the Bicentennial-1976!! Even tough I donated all of my boxes & boxes of fabric, patterns, misc stuff about 5 years ago - I couldn't part with this. I had not begun quilting in this new era yet~LOL. The portion of the quilt I have made was cut with scissors & templates made from cereal boxes - which I still had - and all the fabrics were Bicentennial Patriotic red
    white & blue. For some reason, I couldn't part with it. I don't recall if it was hand or machine stitched.
    Maybe I should make it the center medallion of a Quilt of Valor quilt and give it a worthy home. It may be a poly cotton blend as polyester was desirable for it's non wrinkle - drip dry properties.

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

My queen size grandmother's flower garden quilt done in all lavender is now about 6 years old. All hand pieced and about 75 percent hand quilted. I got stuck on what to do on the hand quilting and just recently found a template that I like to mark the rest and get it done.

Rebecca

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Well, my parents got married in 1964, I think. Mom received a printed cross-stitched bedspread kit as a wedding gift. At some point in high school (late '80s) I finally helped Mom get the cross-stitching done. We reformatted it for a king sized bed and I layered it with white sheeting for the back, to make it summertime spread. I started hand quilting it! What was I thinking!?!?

I think it's about 1/2 done and in a plastic tub... Some day it'll be finished. Not anyone's best work, but I'll get it done someday. I will.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I have some blocks I made around 1983/1984 that are atrocious because of the fabric used....but, it was all I had and I needed to be doing something that was comforting.

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I have some blocks from a quilt guild that I belonged to in the early 90"s. 2 sets from the sametime. One is sewn together, the other not. The first were blocks that I won but didn't care for and the second were blocks made in an exchange from fabric I had picked. Perhaps someday I will be motiveated to finish them but----------I doubt it.

• polardream
    12 years ago

I have a queen sized bed quilt (for my bed) that I have been hand quilting since 2000 - guess 11 years isn't too bad!
    It is really beautiful - black background/ batiks in a bearpaw pattern. SOMEDAY!
    Sue

• calliope
    12 years ago

I have a paper pieced Eye of God quilt top I started right after I made my first full-sized quilt about 41/2 years ago. I didn't even know about paper piecing then, and somehow figured out the method. The top is actually finished, but I can't decide whether to do anything quilty with it or not. It is very crudely done, but the naievte of the situation makes it almost charming, but don't know if it's almost enough charming rofl. A friend says it puts her in mind of a Gee Bend. I had to look that up to see who she meant. It may turn into a closet curtain, or remain a UFO indefinitely.

• User
    12 years ago

This is my oldest UFO--started in 1983 all by hand. I don't need too much more to make it usable. I still love the pattern and the colors (except that one pink window I thought was neat back then).

Here's some inspiration for Cats Lie Sleeping. My aunt loved hers: