Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

Camping at Blue Springs State Park

grammyp
10 years ago

We took the grands camping this weekend at Blue Springs State Park, just below Troy, AL. The park has 2 octagonal cement pools joined by a large pipe through a cement wall.

The upper pool is fed by a spring and the water temp is 68. Yup, you turn blue. The water flows through a pipe between the pools and then over a small waterfall onto a cement platform.

It keeps flowing over some rocks into a small stream.

Pets cannot swim in the pools, but the creek is fair game.

We also did some of the usual camping stuff, like making Smores.

There were 2 playgrounds, fields for playing games, fishing lake, and paddleboats. Then this morning after a quick swim we headed home, stopped by Troy and loaded DDs things at her apartment. She will have her inspection tomorrow and then be headed home to complete her internship. What a great weekend. Even though it was in the mid 90s and we had thunderstorms every night, the cool spring made it feel great and the days were pleasant.

beverly

Comments (14)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Sounds like a great time!! Nothing beats making memories with your little ones!

You rock, Grammy!!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Well, when I saw Blue Springs I thought you were in FL! LOL We have one, too. The water is around 70 degrees here, too.

Looks like you had a great time!

Donna

• lola99
    10 years ago

Sounds and looks like a really wonderful weekend.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna, I noticed there is one if FL, too. Perhaps we will make it there some day.

I forgot to mention, the spring is a EarthCache and there is a GeoCache, too. It is a very clever one and Max (youngest) found it first. He was excited.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I thought Florida too when I saw the subject. Our Blue Springs has manatees and a deep, deep hole into the spring for adventurous scuba people.

Is that your dog in the picture? Adorable!!!!! What a face!!!

• buteau3rd
    10 years ago

Happy that your camping was good fun..always fun with the grandkids!
    I always wonder how many campers there are in this group.

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

That looks like so much fun!!! We were going to do a lot of camping this summer and have yet to even de-winterize the trailer. Between the bad weather and being busy, this summer is sailing by us.

Have fun!

Robbi

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that is our pup. She was DD's but couldn't go go college with her, so I now have her. She is half Pomeranian, half Chihuahua, and usually likes things nice and quiet. But she behaved herself nicely even with all the people around.

I think we have quite a few campers here, at least we used to. Everyone post some pictures so we can find new places to go.

beverly

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Glad you had such a great time. Used to love traveling with the grands. Always see the world with a different perspective. The park looks like a wonderful spot to relax.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

DH Jim and I WANT to be frequent campers but haven't made that work yet. Right now we are just doing one trip a year - that's when we go to Jacksonville FL for the annual quilt show with my camping/quilting friend Marilyn and her DH. We had hoped to be looking for a trailer this year but there are too many other demands on finances so we'll have to put that purchase off for a year (or two). In the meantime, we'll rent a small RV for the quilting trip. It's fun to be able to travel with DC ('dear canine') Scout!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Beverly, Reading through your activities, reminded me of taking our grandsons and doing things with them. They are now 32 and 33 but still talk about those days. Those boys don't know it, but they have wonderful grandparents to see to it that they experience these things. Good job!

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    10 years ago

Looks like a great time for all, including the dog.
    Nice pics.

~Geraldine

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

It's been hot and humid in MD...saw those pools and was ready to jump in! It's been years since I've camped, not sure when it will happen again.

Looks like you guys are creating great memories!
    V.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

We have a Blue Springs here too... that's where we go when we want to look at manatees... looks like a lovely time and the scenery is beautiful.