Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Making good progress

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

I have gotten my Storm At Sea quilt together, the borders on (mitred, even) and have gotten it sandwiched and ready for quilting.

This one won't fit on my frame, so I'll be using the walking foot. Hope to have time tomorrow to work on it.

And, I've been working out the technique for adding a piping with the binding all in one step. I couldn't find the link/video that I remember, so I'm making it up as I go along. Sharon, I think you were the one to post it...If you can find it again, let me know.

Time for bed. Tomorrow is another day.

Comments (27)

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I don't know how you find all the time. Can't wait to see it.

Here is a link I have to the piped binding.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Faux piped binding

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Beverly. I had the technique correct.

Can you access the written instructions? I can't, and am curious what size strips she started with.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Oh, Jennifer, you tease! You tell us this without a picture!? :) LOL

I can't wait to see it.

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna,
    How can I post a picture? It's not done yet. I thought it was against the rules to post an unfinished quilt! lol

[Yes. I know I'm a tease! lol] I'm motivated, so I'm hoping to post a picture soon.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Below is the tutorial Sharon linked in her ZigZag quilt. It is not a "Piped" binding insert, but more of a faux flange.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Binding

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Marsha! Just what I needed.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First round of quilting done. Now to go take it all out. I don't l like it.

Should have gone with my original plan. :(

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Good thing someone is paying attention! Sorry I didn't see your post Jennifer and thank you Marsha for posting the link. It's unusual for me not to be here first thing in the morning, but my days will not be normal for awhile with DGD spending a few days here before going back to Indiana on Monday.

And, if it was against the rules to post pictures of unfinished quilts, you'd never see any of mine! LOL

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Sharon, I thought you were sleeping in again and I knew Jen couldn't wait til noon~LOL~ :~)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Marsha, I had to be up early to make a casserole for my daughter and take it in for a luncheon they're having at her work. She isn't there but asked me to make it for her. She's on her annual motorcycle trip with her DH and his sister and her DH. Anyway, I was so afraid I wouldn't wake up in time to make and bake it, I didn't get to sleep til almost 4:30am. My whole day was shot! Now, our almost 16 yo granddaughter is here and staying until Monday, so think I'll just enjoy having her here and not even think about a routine. But, I am sewing a few more rainbow crumb blocks. :-)

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay. Unquilting was done last night, as well as re-quilting. Last night I was also able to get the faux piping/binding strips ready.

This afternoon I put on the binding, and we're calling it 'done'. I really like this faux piping technique! And I think the latest video on how to join binding ends with a miter might actually stick in my brain for the next quilt!

So.....without further ado, here's my completed Storm at Sea!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here's the back, hopefully showing the quilting.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I should have included that this measures 17" x 20"... ;)

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Congratulations.. It looks great. That was a lot of work with such small pieces. I am impressed with the piping technique. I saved the info. and hope to try it sometime. I liked the part where they joined the end of the binding as that is something I can't seem to master. Will give it another try soon before I forget what I saw. lol.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Good choice for the quilting-really accentuates the movement.
    Very pretty color palette.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Jennifer, it's beautiful! And so small! I love the quilting.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Jennifer, I really like how your quilting helps make the storm. It looks tumultuous and I love it! I think doing the binding like this is fun.

SharonG/FL

This post was edited by geezerfolks on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 21:29

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Lovely...the quilting is perfect for the title. I really like the size..17 x 20... another tiny quilt masterpiece!
    V.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

LOVE IT! The quilting just flows across the quilt. However do you find the time?

beverly

• day2day
    10 years ago

That's just gorgeous!
    Quilting is a perfect match for the pattern.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Beautiful little quilt, Jennifer! I love the waves in your quilting. They're perfect for that pattern.

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

Very nice!

• fran1523
    10 years ago

Spectacular. Why am I not surprised to see a blue and lavender quilt from you. It really is lovely and the quilting is wonderful.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I just love this pattern. Storm at Sea and Shakespeare in the Park - both are on my list of Must Dos. This one is very pretty in the colors you chose!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate, Shakespeare in the Park is also on my list... I envision it in blues/greens.

Generally, I've decided to start making all those "must do" quilts in miniature form. First, it costs less. Second, it takes less time to complete. Third, I don't necessarily have to make as many blocks. Fourth, I have a wall I can hang them all on together and enjoy them every day, and they don't take room to store.

So, I've checked off my list a Snail's Trail, a Storm at Sea, and a Wheel of Fortune (still to be quilted, and technically, no longer a mini---the border makes it too big to be a mini). I see a Drunkard's path in the future...

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Jennifer, I did Shakespeare in blue, been and lavender for my niece...it came out very pretty! It's also very big! It would be very cool in miniature!

Donna

• Joan Dupuis
    10 years ago

Jennifer, it's a beautiful quilt. Love the colors, pattern, quilting, and faux piping.... just everything about it is awesome. And I've saved the piping instructions to try on one in the future.

Joan