Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

I have been dying to share this with you....

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

... but in the off chance that Trish popped in here, I couldn't lest she see it before tonight!

Trish was our guild's president this last year, and I was her VP. One of my main tasks was to put together a quilt from the members and present it to her tonight at the Installation Dinner.

I thought up this quilt almost as soon as she took office. And I am so excited about how it turned out! My quilter did an amazing job with little details everywhere!

Along the top little border there are swimmers, the other little borders have tessellating umbrellas. The plane at the top is pulling marine flags that spell their last name. With the clouds, there are clouds and seagulls in the quilting. In the brown center, the baby flipflops are for Trish's little granddaughter, and there are shells quilted around "Semper Fi" and "Marines". (She and Santa are both retired Marines). There is seaweed and bubbles quilted in the waves and fish. The backing is turquoise with cream flowers that makes you think hibiscus.

And then there is the (dune) fences around the outside edge. Pulls it all together.

Anyway, enjoy! When I get a better picture, I'll share it. This is all I have from Trish's FB page.

Jennifer

Comments (17)

• grammyp
    10 years ago

WOW! How very creative you are. I just love it. When do you find the time?

beverly

• polardream
    10 years ago

That is incredible! So creative and well done. Love, love, love it!

Sue

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Remarkable job. Was it a group effort or did you do it all yourself?? Any which why it is great. She must be so proud to have such friends. TFS

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

What a wonderful collection of motifs and memories. And, not a Santa in the lot. Great job. Looking forward to a larger picture. Maybe she'll bring it to retreat.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Looks like a fun-fun-fun project. Really well thought out & executed. Everyone did a wonderful job ~ she must be thrilled!
    I hope she brings it to Retreat!

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Great quilt! I made a similar quilt for a customer several years ago and it was lots of fun to do.

She's going to love it!

Teresa

• day2day
    10 years ago

That is incredible. Lots of fun motifs.
    She will love it.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    10 years ago

LOL I thought you were going to say you were pregnant! hehehehehe

What a great quilt - I know she will treasure it! I love the way your guild does the president's quilt. For years we would all be asked to "secretly" make a log cabin block to give the outgoing pres. I suspect many of those blocks are lying in the bottom of a box somewhere! LOL Anyway, after our former VP declared that was a dumb idea and she would NEVER make a log cabin quilt EVER, I think we've decided to buy a nice gift instead, like engraved scissors or something.

Donna

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

What a wonderful quilt with so much thought in it to personalize! Bet there were lots of tears when it was presented.
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trish did indeed shed some tears! She first saw it from a distance, and was truly excited, but when she walked closer and saw the "Semper Fi" quilted in the center, then she cried.

Members took block kits and sewed up individual blocks and turned them back in to me. I supplied background fabrics mostly and they supplied the rest. Some were creative to use Christmas fabrics for the umbrella, flip flops or cabana, and one person put a sign on their fence block that said "Santa's Beach House".

A closer friend of ours designed and paper pieced the lighthouse to take after a Myrtle Beach lighthouse (MB being their beach of choice). Her daughter & husband are boat captains down there and could appreciate the nautical alphabet flags.

It definitely turned out as I had envisioned. I'm quite pleased with it.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Wonderful! You obviously captured many things that meant a lot to her. What a special gift!

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

Wow, that is really nice. Can't wait to see a bigger picture, or better yet the real thing at retreat. (I laughed when I read Donna's post, cause that's exactly what I thought when I read your subject line) ;)

Faye

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL you gals!! There'd be some serious 'dying' if that were the real news! My husband would be killing me and you all wouldn't have a retreat hostess this year!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Just catching up on the forum today and WOW!!! That is an awesome and very thoughtful quilt!
    Can't wait to see a bigger picture, better yet if she can bring this to the retreat!
    Well done and thanks for sharing the details.
    V.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I don't know how you managed to keep something like that a secret..........LOL. It's so very unique and personal to her. It's perfect.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

That's a lovely quilt, just adorable.

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I'm also catching up and seeing this!! Awesome quilt! And I love all the personalization that was put into it. I hope she will be at the retreat and bring it?! I'd love to see all the details.

Robbi