Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do you recognize this old block pattern

Posted by cougar1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 22:11

I scanned (as best I could) a block that was hand sewn by a lady probably back in the 40's or 50's maybe, and I was wondering if someone would know what pattern it is made from. It's made up of 4 smaller squares.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do you recognize this old block pattern

The fabrics certainly fit the 40s - 50s time frame but the pattern looks more contemporary! It might have been very innovative for the time. What a great find!!! Now, this pattern would more likely be done with paper piecing I think.

I am not familiar with the pattern but I like it. Have you tried looking though the blocks at quilterscache.com? Maybe start with the pinwheels?

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilters Cache

o

My first reaction was this must be paper piecing...but I don't know the time line on when PP started in quilting...sorry, no help from me. I would go w/ Kate's suggestion or google paper piecing.

V.

o

Valerie, I don't think this block was paper pieced. It looks like it might have been hand pieced, actually. Probably with templates.

I was thinking paper piecing too, but this can't be paper pieced. With inset seams like this, paper piecing won't work.

If I have a chance, I'll look in one of my block dictionaries and see if I can find it... It could make a really neat pattern if done in modern fabrics/colors.

o
still a mystery

I wasn't able to find it in my block dictionary or EQ5 libraries, but I was able to redraw it in EQ. It makes a really neat pattern when put with multiple blocks!

Do think it's fun to look back at old patterns and try to figure them out!

o

Bumping this up. Im just wondering if anyone found the name to this block?

o

I found it in Jinny Beyer's 'The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns' on page 145. It was first published as "Double Pinwheel" on Dec. 18, 1940 under the Alice Brooks by-line in the Bismark Tribune. I also found it re-advertised in 1964 so you can see for yourself.

Ms. Beyer says it is designed on a 6x6 grid, which is much easier to see with the book and transparent overlay that she provides in a back folder. Imagine a little nine patch grid over one of the quadrants, and you can see how the proportions make it a 6x6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Pinwheel by Alice Brooks.

o

Thank you Petalpatsy!!!!!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here