Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

OT: News of the day

grammyp
12 years ago

I was late leaving for work today because I waited for a storm to pass. Seems lightening struck the old cotton mill in town and started a fire. I have to drive right past it, but was forced to detour just a bit. One mill was gutted and collapsed, another is still burning and will probably collapse, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avondale Mills fire

Comments (10)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

That is so sad to see places like that fall. They are part of your history there. Hope no one gets hurt in the process.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I hope everyone is safe. This is sad.
    Was it empty at the time?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

A reminder that devastation and sadness all around us leaving us with only memories.

SharonG/FL-IN

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Even though the building is in the edge of town, it is not in the city limits. Long sad story. The small county volunteer fire department near our house was the first to respond. There were 14 different fire departments (very small community with mostly volunteer departments) and they concentrated on keeping the fire from spreading. There are 2 churches right beside the mills, and a mill village of small houses all around the perimeter. None of them were burned, but smoke did drift for many miles. I am thankful for residents who quickly called the fire department and for the fire departments that quickly came and contained the monster.

Avondale Mills was at one time one of the biggest producers of denim in the country, and the industry on which our little town was founded. Times have changed, production went overseas and the business failed. One of the mills that made denim had shut down many years ago. The other shut down in 2006 when the company went out of business. They had been dismantling the equipment and structure and selling off the pieces. No one was injured, thank goodness.

beverly

• User
    12 years ago

Hey Grammyp,

As a former textile designer (weave stylist), I am particularly aware & appreciative of the textile history you are watching go up in smoke. Sad, sad.

I graduated textile school in '79, just in time to waive goodbye to the industry. By '82 I had to leave the industry altogether as the junior stylist (me) was always the first to be laid off come cutbacks.

(I explain some of this industry demise in my Blog which address I forget, but click on my Member Page & it's there; OR search for "karenthequilter" all one word like that.)

Condolences Beverly on this loss, tho' I DO hear you saying it could be much worse. Thank goodness for those firemen indeed.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

My heart aches when we loose buildings such as your memorable mill. It sounds like it started it's demise even before it finally passed away by natures stroke of lightening. My condolences to you and your town for it's sad loss. Jayne

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

It's sad when we see landmarks disappear. We lost our old school buildings last year after they built a new school in our small town. It was so sad watching them being torn down.
    Linds OH

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Textiles are a difficult business. My FIL worked in the Quality Assurance Office for Avondale till his death in 84. The textile business was in trouble even then. Perhaps with the building gone it will be easier to get a new business to come to town. We can certainly use one.

Here is the today's article in the local paper.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Daily Home

• lola99
    12 years ago

I'm glad you and the people of your town are safe.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information and pictures. So sad to see a noble factory end like this. I worked for a company that had to shut down many facilities in the 1990's and each one represented so many lives and such rich history. It breaks my heart.
    I hope you are right and this sad story is really the start of something new and wonderful for your city!

Kate

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County