Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuppermom

Postcards

tuppermom
10 years ago

I belong to a postcard swap group and we make 5 cards a month. Each month has a different theme. This month is Birds.
her are my cards. I diecut the birds with my sister's Accuquilt GO!
I hope my fellow swappers like them!

Comments (13)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Those are really cute! I'd like them.

Do you swap with 5 other people then? One for each of the others?

• tuppermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are about 15 of us and the co-ordinator mixes up the groups every few months but each group has 5 or 6 people in it. So, yes I make 1 card for the other 5 people in my group each month.
    I have been having a lot of fun making and receiving these cards.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Very clever. Do they get sent via the mail like other Post Cards? I would worry that they would become miss used if that were the case.

• tuppermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For the most part they come through the mail just like any other postcard. If I put a lot of embellishments on a card I will send it in either a cellophane envelope or a regular paper envelope. I have over 60 cards and only one has a dark spot on it like a machine smear and most have been sent "naked"

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Your cards are charming. How are the cards made? Is the fabric attached (fused? glued?) to cardstock or is it all fabric? Do you quilt them? How do you attach a stamp to fabric?

These may be dumb questions but I (obviously!) don't know anything about quilted postcards.

Thanks for posting !
    Kate

• tuppermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I use Peltex which is a stiff interfacing with iron-on adhesive on both sides. I press my background fabric for the front of the card onto to the Peltex then "build" the card front. Any stitching I will do on the face of the card is done before pressing the backing fabric onto the back of the Peltex. With these cards, I zigzagged around the birds.
    I then do a satin stitch around the outside of the card to finish the edge, write the recipient's address and a message. Self adhesive stamps and return address labels stick just fine and make it through the mail. I have used cardstock on the back as well but you have to make sure the backing is well stuck to the Peltex because when you stitch around the outside you perforate the cardstock and it could fall out. The hardest part is deciding what you are going to do with the theme of the month!
    Hope this helps.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

We did tutorials on several subjects about five years ago. One was how to make postcards. It might still be in the pile if you search. Although the tute was great, I don't think many really carried forward with it. Very interesting. I might try it one of these days. I have a GD who would love getting one.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Thank you! Great information! I'll be picking up some Peltex and I'll search for info in previous threads too. (Linda, this might be a good tutorial for the Retreat!)

I recently saw some emails from AQS about quilter Libby Lehman suffering a brain aneurysm in late May. Of course, quilters who have trained with her or who have watched her ThreadPlay demonstrations wanted to know what they could do to help or to cheer her during her recovery. It was suggested by the family that quilted cards would be great. Made me think of others who would appreciate an unusual hand made card too. Your posting about this was very timely!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

They are so cute!!!

I think it's a good idea to send to someone that appreciates hand made items.

I went to Goodwill with my mom this week and I found a hand made needle point purse, never used and well made, for less than $4.00.

It makes me so sad to think of the time but into the lovely purse that wasn't appreciated. BUT, as my friend pointed out, I appreciate it!!!
    Rosa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Your cards are quite cute and I've seen/read about the post cards, but have not ventured to try one yet.

Kate...good idea for the retreat, perhaps that could be a side class.

Thanks for sharing!!!
    V.

• tuppermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words! My cards are quite simplistic in comparison to some of the ones I receive......there are some wonderful fabric artists in the group!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I would have to have a personal visual tutorial for these, that's for sure. They sure are cute! And, I like the simplicity of the design.

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

I like the the design the fabric choices. Together they make a great card.
    Bravo
    LindaB/CA

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County