Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions for long-armers

Posted by loisf (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 20:53

When I bought my Tiara, the shop recommended Signature thread. I think that was the name. It is cotton covered poly. They said it was stronger for the fast speeds that the long arm machines achieve. What do you experienced quilters think?

And how do you do SITD with a long arm machine?

I'm sure I'm going to be badgering you with tons of questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions for long-armers

My Voyager would NOT sew with anything but King Tut. However, the Fun Quilter will use anything. I don't sew really fast, that may help a bit.

To SID, you can hold a long arm straight edge (rulers aren't thick enough) by the seam and guide the hopping foot along it. You will need an extension on your machine base for the straight edge to rest on.

I also have a set of handles that fit around the hopping foot and allow me to guide the machine. I can't find a picture on line, but when I get home I will get one.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Stitch in the Ditch ruler

o

I should have made it clear that the Tiara is a sit down machine, not a true long arm. I'm still moving the quilt, not the machine head. I think the straight edge idea would still work for SITD though. Maybe stitching 1/8-1/4" from the ditch might work better. We'll see. I can tell that the learning curve is going to be steep.

o

Thanks, Beverly. I ordered the ruler. I pick up my machine tomorrow evening. I'm excited!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here