Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

If you were looking for a 2nd machine for classes & sew alongs

TxMarti
10 years ago

What do you know about the Janome 8077?

My one and only concern is that it won't sew over seams smoothly. My last machine, a cheap Janome, sewed a perfect stitch as long as it was on a flat piece of fabric. But going over the seams of block pieces made it veer off course or stitch in place because it couldn't go over. And I'm talking about sewing 2 flying guess blocks together.

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 21:53

Comments (6)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Marti, I don't know anything about the Janome you're looking at, but I have a Brother CS6000i I got from Overstock.com for less than $200. It weighs about 12 pounds. It is wonderful! It has about 70 stitches including buttonholes and sews like a dream. I am very happy with it!

Donna

• calliope
    10 years ago

I also use a cheap brother as a back-up machine and also very happy with it. It's an older one, however, and I don't know if they still make them as rugged or not. Evidently so. It's the one I keep a quilting foot on and doesn't miss a lick going over the seams.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have a Janome 8080 that was my dream machine and I used it for everything! A year or two ago, I was having some minor troubles with it, and bought a 8077 as my 'backup' machine. The 8077 has now become my everyday machine. I use it all the time.

I like it very much. I've had no trouble with going over seams, and it takes all the same feet as the other one. I've just used the walking foot on it for my mini quilts, with layers of fabric, batting and bindings with not difficulties.

Everyone has their favorite machine brand. Mine happens to be Janome. But personal experience with this machine, I can say it sews very well. (it was a bit noisier than the 8080, but nothing you don't get used to). I got mine at a great rate from Kens Sewing Center in MS.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Marti,

I know that Janome machines have a great reputation for being workhorses, but allow me to put in a plug for the Brother PC 420.

I've had this machine for several years and the value for the money is simply astounding. I paid 500 for mine, but on Amazon, they are only 400 now and it gets mostly 5 star reviews. For that price, you get a knee lifter, push button thread trimmer, adjustable presser foot pressure, one touch automatic needle threader that works the first time every time (and doesn't require two hands to operate), needle up down, push button stop start, a sliding speed control that can also be set to be the stitch width control. Brother has even put some really cool small details into this machine, for example there is a ridge on the top of the hand wheel so you always know when your needle is in the highest position, and the buttons you use most frequently are covered in clear acrylic so that the graphic doesn't wear off over time. It is a little heaver than the really basic machines, but that is because it has a metal frame... many of the cheaper machines (especially Brothers) have plastic veins inside for support instead of a metal frame.... that makes it lighter, but they can break over time.

This machine also comes with a walking foot, free motion/embroidery foot, zipper foot, button attaching foot, button hole foot, open toe foot, regular foot, teflon foot, and a few others that I can't remember. It also monograms.... it is truly remarkable for the price. Super easy to thread and change bobbins on and you don't have to raise the bobbin thread to begin sewing.

It comes with a hard plastic cover and nice carrying handle for transporting to class... I've taken it to quilting classes and to sit and sews and it was really easy to transport. It sews well and isn't picky about thread. The needle does make a "different sound" when it hits a seam, but it goes over it with no problem. Sometimes, the presser foot will push a seam the other way when I go over it, even if I've ironed it down, but if I raise the foot and allow the seam to go under the front of it, it's not a problem.

I can't sing its praises loudly enough! I'll link to the Amazon page below so you can see the reviews...

Here is a link that might be useful: Brother PC 420

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all, and especially Jennifer for direct experience with this machine. The reason I wanted to get a Janome is I had a New Home and already have several Janome feet, walking foot, quarter foot, etc. I liked my 30 year old New Home but according to the repairman, it wasn't worth repairing. I bought a really cheap Janome at the quilt store on their recommendation and it was horrible.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I look with jaundiced eye (or maybe should say listen with jaundiced ear) to lots of advice about stuff not being worth it to fix. They just simply do not make much of ANYTHING like they used to make it. An older machine will run for half a century, with all metal everythings and there are slews of parts to be had on old machine sites or ebay if one needs fixed. My son just repaired his wife's mother's machine which was made circa 1960s and had sentimental value to her. I suspect it'll run for another fifty years.