Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

LOTTO - June 2013

toolgranny
10 years ago

This month is another traditional block, the State of Illinois.

Lets use dark blues, see samples. This makes a lovely blue and white quilt with secondary patterns. Use any dark blues. I used indigos and batiks but any darker blue will work.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

A few specifics:

- each month there will be a designated block or theme, you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

-12â blocks must measure 12.5â x 12.5â with no more than 1/4â variation. If we call out a different size, it will always show on the pattern but the measurements must stay true so that the winner will be able to assemble the quilt easily.

-With your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 in the pkg to cover postage for mailing the blocks to the winner.

- if you like, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just makes it more interesting).

- all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing. If your block is still in transit, please let us know so you can be included.

- you will have 1 chance to win per block.

Blocks are to be mailed to Valarie. She will arrange the collection and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her an e-mail at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Those who complain get this job next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: State of Illinois block pattern

Comments (39)

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention that the background should be white or WOW. The finished quilt would look better if all backgrounds are white even if the blues are a mixed bag.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I could almost be tempted with this pattern/color combo. It is very striking in the contrast, and the secondary pattern.

I'll think on it.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

I love this one....will try to get three done.

• patti60
    10 years ago

haven't done the lotto in a long time put me down for 2.

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Here is 1 block. We are leaving in the morning to go to visit DD in Montreal and will be coming home through the states so will mail it from NY state. I may get a couple more done when we get back but thought I would get this one in the mail.

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Just checking to see if you received my block Val?

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I am going to pass this month, first time I have missed since Jan. 2012.
    I try to use stash and I don't have anything that will work. Maybe that's a message that I NEED to go shopping.
    Nice pattern and will make a super quilt.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Yes Mary...your block arrive safe, sound and lovely!
    V.

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Glad it arrived! It will probably be the only one I send. My DD went to Montreal 2 1/2 years ago for her Masters Degree. While there she met a man so has decided to stay there. I am now in the middle of packing away all of her stuff so I can repurpose her room.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Bumping back to the top...One full week left in June for the Lotto Block...!!!

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Wow.... this one is kickin' my ..........whew!! Is it just cuz I'm so inexperienced??? I have one done....not 100% happy with it, but I'll forge ahead. The block sure is a pretty one, tho........ It must be a level 10 !!! :)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Stick with it Beth...some of my geese had one too many shots of Grey Goose, but once I got the little devils sobered up...the block turned out lovely! I hope to make another this week...but will see if my work schedule will give me a break.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Grey goose...!!! What a great idea, littlehelen!! :) that'll give ya the shot ya need to get 'er done! Forged and not exactly perfect, but done. ....gooses cooked. Will be sending three.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Beth...I'm so pleased you stuck with those geese and didn't let em fly away! Your blocks look fine... I'll be looking for them in the mail this week.

Buster, the quilt block boston border patrol terrier who oversees lotto operations , wants to know who else will be sending in blocks? I'm not crossing him...who else might we expect this week?

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry but I don't think I'll get any made this month.

Beth - your blocks look fine!

Val - i love that blue fabric you used!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

K8....Buster is ok with that...we understand, thanks for letting us know.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I don't want to let Buster down! Please tell him I'll do better next month!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have fabric pulled and am planning on doing at least one. Hopefully I can pull it off!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

that would be great Jen...but don't stress...please...just let me know if it makes the mail so I can keep an eye out.
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Well, I made up two last night. But I was rushing and will have to take two apart to fix some problems. Still hope to get them in the mail by Friday.

Will let you know for sure...

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Jen, Sorry you need to get your ripper out....,but we'd love to have your blocks! I'll delay pulling the winner until yours are received.
    To All: I'll get a pic posted this weekend of all the submission thus far....Thanks so much for participating in the lotto...!!!
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have fixed my two blocks and they are ready to go in the mail tomorrow. Valarie, I wouldn't expect them to day more than a few days to get to you.
    jen

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

OK...happy to have a few more blocks!

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Just back from the post office. Three blocks are in the mail. The clerk said "two or three days"...hopefully it'll be two, or I'm late!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Yipee!...stayed tuned for pics folks...anyone else I should watch out for?

I bet everyone is waiting to see what we're doing for July! My lotto partner, Toolgranny, is the best at surprizes ;-), we'll find out on July 1 ! ! !

V.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

All the blocks have arrived...what a stunning graphic when all are laid out!! Will pick the lucky winner ...maybe around mid day today..
    V.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Anyone there? Pick a number from 21 to 27... for the June drawing...

there are more than 7 blocks, but two participants did not want to be in the drawings...so chances are higher for those participating!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Hi Val
    How about number 26?
    Theresa

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Hi Val
    how about number 26.
    Theresa

Gremlins at work!!!!

This post was edited by nannykins on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 12:19

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

...and lucky #26 is Beth7happy, aka Beth! Congratulations!!!

thank you nannykins for picking the lucky number.

Beth, I'll have yur 11 State of Illinois blocks in the mail by weeks end! Enjoy!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Enjoy Beth!!!
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Beth. I know you worked hard on this one. It should make someone a pretty quilt. You could make more blocks and enlarge it for a bigger bed as well.

• polardream
    10 years ago

Congratulations Beth!

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

woooHoooo!!! Who ME???? LOL...i LOVE it! wow and I DO love these blocks, too!! Blue - my fav color!! and yep, toolgranny....I had to work a lil harder on this one! THANK YOU all for sharing!! :) Color me: "Happy>

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Congratulations Beth!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Beth, Your blocks went in the mail today...should have them first part of next week. Enjoy!

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Thanks!!! I'm looking forward to them!! Will let you know when they've arrived......

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Congrats, Beth. They are very pretty blocks.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Wow...these are just beautiful blocks!! Thank you all! They arrived here today in the mail!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County