Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Help out a Girl Scout?

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

My daughter, Cynthia, has been a very active Girl Scout. This is her first year as a cadette, and has decided on her Silver Award project. She could use some help.

She has decided to make neck coolers. These are tubes of fabric with crystals sewn into them, that when soaked in water, they expand. These are worn around the neck and can cool a person's body temperature by up to 30 degrees. She has discussed this with the camp director at her scout camp. The deal has been made that Cynthia will supply them with 100 neck coolers that they will have on hand for summer campers while they are at camp.

With all that being said, Cynthia needs fabric strips! about 96 to be exact! lol I thought maybe some of you would be willing to donate some strips to her project. Fun fabrics (novelties, etc), and variety, would be good. They need to be 4 1/2" x WOF.

If you would like to help out, email me directly and I'll send you my address. Any help would be appreciated!

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (58)

• vasu_texas
    10 years ago

Jennifer,
    I have some Nemo and Bob the Builder fabric. Are they OK? I'm not sure how old the kids are at the camp.
    Vasu

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vasu

The camp hosts girls from age 5-18, so the Nemo fabric would be good, but Bob the Builder wouldn't have a huge following, I don't expect.

Thanks.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

I'll send you some strips. A bit of gold metallic in the print okay?

• jackier123
    10 years ago

20 something strips coming your way tomorrow.

Jackie

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patsy,
    Metallic would be okay as long as it wouldn't be too itchy/uncomfortable worn around the neck.

You guys are AWESOME! Cynthia will be very excited to receive these!

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

I sent you an email so you could email me back with your address.

• carolnv
    10 years ago

What a great project! Send me your address and I'll get some strips in the mail by Tuesday. I love helping scouts, having been one myself, many years ago! My project was paper recycling and picked up from 20 different homes to being to a central location in town each month (long before towns had recycling programs).

• chickie1
    10 years ago

I would love to help. How do I get your email?
    Darlene

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chickie, Carol, Patsy,

If you will click on the "My Page" next to my name in this post, you will have the option to "Send me an email". If your settings are correct, then I will be able to reply to your email and it will go directly to you (not on the forum).

Patsy, your settings must not allow your email to show. When you emailed me, I couldn't reply. It didn't show your private email address, only GardenWeb.

Thanks for your help. Jennifer

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I'd love to help! Let me check my stash tonight to see what I have and I will send what I have.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

30 strips in the mail this morning!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kate! Got the USPS notification already.

You guys are incredible! She might end up having to make more than her initial quota, simply to use all your generosity!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol,
    I got your email, but it says you've chosen to not reveal your email, so I can't reply with my address.

You'll need to change your settings in order for me to reply. Or, if someone else here has your email, they can pass my address to you.

Jennifer

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

I have 13 cut--a baker's dozen. I changed some settings, so please try me again.

Pat

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I only have a few that are girl - child friendly to send to Cynthia ~ and they were in the scraps teresa nc sent me a few years ago!
    I'll get them in the mail to you this week.
    Great project.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

Mailed it!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darlene,

Got your email through GardenWeb, but couldn't reply. You need to change your settings so that your email will be visible to me.

Thanks for your offer to help.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Strips going in the mail tomorrow. These are all novelty, would she like some more "mature" fabrics also?

beverly

• carolnv
    10 years ago

Sorry, settings are changed, so you should be able to email me now. Thanks. Strips are ready to go.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure, Beverly. Anything you wish to send.

• chickie1
    10 years ago

Jennifer, I changed my settings. Darlene

• vasu_texas
    10 years ago

I have about 8 cut and ready to go. I will drop them in the mail tomorrow morning. I have your address from the challenge fabric you sent me.
    Vasu

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Strips went out today. If you need more just let me know.

beverly

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Sorry, duplicate post.

beverly

This post was edited by grammyp on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 22:17

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

I've sent you an email, Jennifer. I think I have several fabrics which will make fun neck coolers.

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

And I got your reply already! Thanks.

I may be able to get them in the mail tomorrow. I will just sent one or two of each fabric, since it looks like she will have plenty.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

In the mail. Sounds like she will have more then enough. Good luck.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

In the mail. Sounds like she will have more then enough. Good luck.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kate & Jackie!

Cynthia is thrilled! She didn't know they were coming, and was very excited to get mail today!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Wow, that was fast!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Pat & Beverly! Your efforts are truly appreciated!

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Mine are on the way - and good luck to Cynthia!

• grammyp
    10 years ago

You are most welcome.

beverly

• carolnv
    10 years ago

Mine are finally in the mail. Cynthia will be busy making neck coolers, hope she has some help. Good luck to her on this project.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At the moment, Carol, she's all on her own. Her project requires 50 hours of work. This can be planning, sewing, presenting, etc. I'm helping out in small bits with ironing because that is a new skill for her.

She will be teaching a workshop for her troop in August to teach them how to make the neck coolers. Originally, this was to get them to help her make the 100, but I expect the goal will be reached by then, so it'll be to teach them how to make their own.

At the moment, she's very motivated!

• chickie1
    10 years ago

I'm sending mine tomorrow.
    Darlene

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Mine were mailed yesterday - I found some more fabric - sent 8 pieces.
    Pony Express would have them delivered already :)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Received strips from Jayne today...thanks!

And Nevada. (but I don't think it could be Carol if she didn't mail until yesterday...) Was it you, Mary??

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Which Mary? This Mary is in Texas, LOL Mine should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess it's not you, Mary... This package of 12 was from Nevada. I have a last name beginning with "R", but won't post name/address here.

Whoever it was, your packaged arrived, and was welcomed when Cynthia got home today from Girl Scout training. Thank you!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Vasu, Marsha & Mary C!! Some lovely, lively fabrics for the project!!!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Vasu, Marsha & Mary C!!! Some lovely, lively fabrics came today for the project!

• carolnv
    10 years ago

That was my package and it arrived on the 9th - way fast! 12 strips from NV in 2 days WOW to the postal service! I never know how quickly things get to people, but happy they arrived. I love the idea of her teaching her troop how to make them. That'll be a fun day. Enjoy!

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Jennifer and Cynthia - I'm delighted to hear the fabrics arrived. Good luck with the project!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carol, for clarifying! I was shocked that it came so quickly!

You all have been so very generous! She has a great selection of strips to work with.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Valerie!! Got yours today.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Darlene! We received your strips today.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

It's been a week, mine should be there by now. Hope nothing happened to them. I can send more if she needs them.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly, I thanked you for yours on June 6th (& you responded). And I thought I'd thanked you again just a few days ago, but don't see that post now...so something happened to it...

She has received yours! Thanks a bunch!

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Sorry, guess I should write things down. Sigh, I so need a vacation.

beverly