Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Taupe quilt finished!

msmeow
11 years ago

Hi, everyone - this was a kit I bought at the Jax show 5 or 6 years ago. I got it out a few months ago, looked at the fabrics and the photo included with the kit, and thought, "What was I thinking?" Brown is my absolute least favorite color.

I decided to sew it up anyway, and I have to say I like it a lot better than I thought I would, but I'm still not crazy about it. I think I'll give it to our pastor who is moving to a new church at the end of the month.

Here are a couple of close-ups of the quilting:

Now I can cross that one off my list!

Donna

Comments (18)

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Oooooh, I really like that! Neutrals aren't normally my thing, but sometimes I see one that is, well, calming I guess.

And I love, love, love your feathers!

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I like it!. You did a good job and the quilting is very nice. I am quite fond of the colors you used and think it turned out to be a good gift for your pastor.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Wonderful quilt! And your quilting is fantastic! The colors go together so well and they are....yes! calming.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I like it! I agree, it is very calming. Good gift for your Pastor.
    Very nice quilting!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Like has already been said, I think the colors are very calming and your quilting is beautiful!

SharonG/FL-IN

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Donna, I love the colors, and I think you did a beautiful job on the quilting. Were the patterns you quilted your ideas? I think they are very creative. You made a wonderful quilt that your pastor will treasure.

• polardream
    11 years ago

The colors are really soothing - I like it! You did a great job on your feathers!
    Sue

• vasu_texas
    11 years ago

I really like this quilt. I usually go for bright colors in quilts (as well as clothing) but I want to try a soothing neutral palette one of these days.
    Your quilting is lovely.
    vasu

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I love it too!!! You have become a very skilled quilter - those feathers look perfect!

I agree he will love it!
    Rosa

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Not my favorite colors either but it turned out beautifully. You did a great job. It will make a wonderful quilt gift. Good job.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much! I've been doing a lot of those feathers lately (from the book Hooked on Feathers), so I guess practice really does help! LOL

Pastor Beth wears a lot of browns & neutrals, so I think the colors will really appeal to her. The backing is a fun flower print with some orange and yellow, other colors she wears.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Donna, the quilting is fabulous!!!

Kate

• day2day
    11 years ago

I'm another one that likes it.
    I like the colors...as others mentioned, the colors are soothing.
    It will make a great gift for the pastor.
    Nice quilting too.
    TFS.

• lola99
    11 years ago

Donna, very nice job. I like the layout of the quilt and your quilting is fantastic.

Lola

• fran1523
    11 years ago

I like brown myself. You did a great job on the quilting. Your Pastor will be impressed.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Donna, I believe that everything happens for a reason, and in its own time. I'd say you bought that kit, and then found it at the right time. It turned out great, and your pastor will be taking you with her when she leaves, which will mean a lot to her, I'm sure! Great job!

• msmeow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I gave it to her on Monday and she really liked it. She said the colors are perfect for her living room, and it's big enough to be a lap quilt for her (she's tall).

I spent a long time trying to decide what to put on the label. We've worked together for 13 years, but she's not really a close friend, so I didn't want to put something "gushy". I finally decided to put the words of the benediction we sing every Sunday at the end of worship. When she read it she said it was perfect!

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

The quilting is lovely and the color selection is, as other mentioned, very calming. it's beautiful. I can't wait till I can quilt like that, your feathers, and loops...are very well done.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry