Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Emergency! Emergency! help (opinions needed quick)

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 19:25

Here's the problem:
I need 306 inches of binding to go around the Seabreeze quilt. I have 307 inches - total! That doesn't count the extra needed folding at the corners. I have no more binding fabric wide enough to cut binding strips.

So....I'm going to have to add other fabrics to the binding in a "planned it that way" manner.

Here is a corner of the quilt with all the borders and quilting done:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Option #1 - I add in a few scattered strips of other dark batiks used in the quilt (examples laying on a prepared strip of the binding fabric):

Option #2 - I add short pieces of bright fabrics, also used in the quilt, like this:

Please give me your honest opinion! Thanks!

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Emergency! Emergency! help (opinions needed quick)

the dark batiks, imo

o

If it were me Teresa I think I would choose only one of the other fabrics. The one I think that would work well is the bottom one in the first picture. I has all the colors in the binding and would blend well with out being to loud if you could scatter it evenly around the quilt. MHO

o

I like the dark batiks. Maybe 2-3 small pieces in the upper left and then again in the bottom right? I like the idea that it would be very subtle so if, and when someone noticed they would go looking for the other pieces.

jmho.

Faye

o

I think I'd use one piece, about 6", of a dark batik near a corner on two sides like it's a design element. But, deep down, I don't think it will show anyway. If you want it to show, use the brights.

o

I agree with toolgranny. I would make it a part of the design element.
Linda OH

o

Yes! I knew I could count on y'all to give me the answer! I will use the lower dark batik in maybe two places, lower side and bottom of the quilt. I think it will blend in very well.

Thank you! Kudos to everyone!

....we now return you to our regularly scheduled postings... the fire has been dealt with satisfactorily...

o
RE: Emergency! help update

I am happy to report that the different fabric used in the border is barely - just barely - dedectable only if you know another fabric was used in a few places.

And I dare that rider on the galloping horse speeding by my quilt to pick it out!

Now, if I can just remember this trick next time I run out of the binding fabric.....

Teresa

o

Teresa,
Now I really need to see the whole quilt!
Vasu

o

I'll post a pic just as soon as I finish sewing the binding to the back by hand. It turned out really nice if I do say!

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here