Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Making a hot pad

cziga
16 years ago

As I'm still new to this, I don't have any tips to offer . . . I do however have loads of questions which might help both me and others learn more . . . and I can certainly contribute those :)

I have been wondering lately about making a heat pad or a hot pad for kitchen use - you know, those pads that you lay down on the counter to protect it from hot pots or pans. Is there a special material to make them out of? I imagine that a quilted top, a layer or two of batting, and a backing would be enough layers of fabric to protect the counter, but what about the quilted top? Wouldn't regular cotton scorch under the heat of a really hot pot? Do you use a special fabric for the top? Or for the batting? Heat resistant?

Comments (9)

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

Yep, they make special stuff for hot pads. It is heat resistant and they do sell it Joann's. But here is a link so you can read about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: hot pad batting

• maryliz
    16 years ago

There is a heat resistant batting called Insul-Brighthref> made by the Warm Company, makers of many types of quilt batting. It is available at Joann's in the interfacing display.

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I don't know about the best sort of filling for a hot pad, but here is a link to one that is made in an interesting way. I haven't tried it out yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Folded Star Hot Pad directions

• grammyp
    16 years ago

I have one I keep on my counter and it is just cotton fabric with cotton batting and back. I don't use it to pick up hot things and it works just fine. Don't know if I would use it to protect wood surfaces, but on my counter I have no problems. If you want to use it to pick up hot pots or oven trays, you will want to use the Insul-Bright and heat resistant backing.

beverly

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

I bought some insulbright but have not tried it out yet. I have made several hot pads and they were just regular quilting cotton fabric and I put 4 to 5 layers of cotton batting inside. They were as heat resistant as any store bought hot pads.

I did use them and they got food stains and burns on them -- maybe that's just my slovenly nature -- but if I put a lot of effort into making a really nice one in the future it will stay on the wall!!!!

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

Laura,
    I've made some this way too! Lots of layers, but nothing special! It's just about time for some new ones...mine are stained & scorched too!

This is a great way to use up rogue blocks that you have left over!!!

• cziga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So the idea is a heat resistant batting, or lots of layers.

The Therma Flec (?) material looks promising for a quilt top that won't scorch, but no colour selection or anything like that. Maybe a regular cotton top, with heat resistant batting would be best, and then just keep replacing every once in a while when it gets scorched?

Jennifer: that's what I thought too, a great way to use blocks that are left over or didn't come out to quite the right size (or whatever :))

• agnesd
    16 years ago

Hi,

See the Cotton Theory posting. I meant to post it within here.

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

I had bought a book on quilted pot holders, how to and patterns, this summer. I could not find the heat resistant batting, so I bought a teflon ironing board cover. I am planning to make them for the holidays to share, so I'm hoping this will work. I was going to put a layer of pretty fabric on the outside to hide the blue teflon pad.

tish