Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

My Marimekko scrap quilt is finished!!

loisflan
10 years ago

It doesn't match anything in our bedroom, it's silly, it's gaudy, it's made from scraps, it had forty feet of binding, and I absolutely love it. I have to find a way to get a photo of the whole thing, but here it is on our bed. Thanks to Marsha who found a photo of a similar quilt on line and posted it for me to copy.

Comments (20)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

It's simple, it's bright, it's beautiful quilting, it's beautiful fabric, so how could you not just love it...looks fabulous!!!
    congrats!
    V.

• bozogardener
    10 years ago

How pretty! It's complicated and simple at the same time.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Lois~You are welcome! I love your silly-gaudy description ~lol~ and I love how it turned out also!!!! It looks exactly like I imagined it to look. It is a fun quilt and perfect for summer. You put those "scraps" to very good use. Great-great job!!!!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Wow! It's pretty, it's fun, it's cheerful, it's perfectly balanced. This is a total winner. I wish I had made it!

Kate

• day2day
    10 years ago

I like your quilt. It's bright and beautiful.
    I can understand why you love it.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Lois, That is not gaudy!!! It's my idea of whimsical, fun and downright beautiful! Awesome job!!!

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

It is delightful. Looks like summer took over. You did a great job using so many different fabrics and making them appear to be picked especially just for that quilt. I am glad you are enjoying it. Its lovely. TFS

• grammyp
    10 years ago

It's bright, it's happy, it's beautiful!

beverly

• sunnycentralfl
    10 years ago

Great job! Love it! It looks great!

Gwen

• lola99
    10 years ago

Oh I really like your quilt a lot. It makes me happy to look at it. I would love to sleep under that quilt. Nice job!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

What a fun quilt! What does marimekko mean? Is it Japanese?

Donna

• loisflan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna, although it does sound Japanese, the company began in Finland. Their website says, "The name Marimekko is a play on words, yet completely descriptive.
    'Mari' is an anagram of the first name of the company's founder, Armi Ratia, while 'mekko' means 'dress' in Finnish. And it was indeed Mari's dresses that started it all in 1951. Explore our story and learn more about the process behind our patterns and products."

All I know is that they have been designing fabrics since the 1950s, and Crate and Barrel uses their fabrics in some of the C&B products. That's where the scraps came from.

Thanks to everyone who has commented. It makes me happy too.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful and lively quilt. Congrats on finishing it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• fran1523
    10 years ago

Ditto to what everybody else said and I love it too. I also wish I had made it.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Lois,

I don't think it's gaudy at all; I think it's vibrant & full of life & I really like the treatment you gave it. Was it a pattern or design of your own pls? I see you mentioned copying from something seen online.

I'm a fan of Marimekko since my teens (am now in my 50s). It was one of the 1st textile companies I was ever aware of & an early inspiration for me going into textile design (remember me, I'm the recovering textile designer?).

If it's not too personal, my curious self would LOVE to know how you came by Marimekko scraps. There's a Marimekko store in NYC (I recently noticed) I may have to go in & inquire abt any scraps & if t hey have a policy on such things.

Thanks for the bright jolt of life & the inspiration. May it bring you happiness for decades to come!!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Lois, thanks for the explanation! I have never heard of them before.

Donna

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Beautiful. It puts a smile in the room!
    LindaB/CA

• loisflan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pirate Girl,

About a year ago, a friend of a friend got a bag of Marimekko scraps at a Crate & Barrel outlet store. I haven't found there to be one in the Minneapolis area, so I don't know where she might have gotten them. She gave them to my friend who gave them to me. I posted a photo of them on the forum and asked if anyone had an idea for a quilt that would use them. Marsha (aka magothyrivergirl) linked to a photo of a quilt make with Marimekko scraps, and I copied the pattern from that. Marsha's picture is posted below. I needed more scraps that I had, so I went on-line and found some. I'm hoping to make twin size quilts for my great-nieces in a Chinese coin pattern with the smaller pieces I have left.

If you are interested, I will try to find out the name of the on-line retailer. You might just try Google for Marimekko scraps. That's what I did. I can also describe the pattern. It's simply a square with white on two sides. The blocks are turned to form the pattern. My husband is sleeping under it right now, so I can't measure the blocks, but let me know if you're interested and I'll post the dimensions.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, that explanation certainly does the trick. I wasn't understanding the spacing of the sashing. So it helps a lot to learn it's a print square w/ white on 2 sides & then just turning the blocks.

I'll certainly be adding this design to my list of projects for the future! Thanks again, just fabulous.

• anitastitch
    10 years ago

I love that quilt! I believe in quilt therapy. Some quilts are so happy looking that just wrapping in them puts you in a better mood. I made a jelly roll pin wheel quilt that has that effect on me--it doesn't match my room either, but I love it!
    By what I can see in the picture, your quilting is really nice too.