Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanajayne

Back to my old iron!!

nanajayne
13 years ago

Had to pull out my old faithful GE iron. Lost another one yesterday. I have had a terrible time with irons over the past few years. This last one a BD, was 18mo.old. It replaced 2 BD digitals that went out before a mo. was up on each of them. Before that their was a string of others including 2 Rowentas. Each time my old GE filled in. (Not sure why I replace it). Plan on looking again but have decided if they aren't going to last any longer then a couple of years anything will do. Do they still make GE's?

Comments (20)

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

My Black and Decker attacked me the other day while ironing a shirt. I have two nasty burns on my forearm. I've had it for 15 years now.

Rebecca

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

I'm back to my spitting dripping Rowenta. I had tried a Shark but it started pouring after about six months. They'd both be fine as dry irons but I love me a good shot of steam.

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I love my old irons, one at each ironing surface. Got them at thrift stores. One isn't steam. You can't beat the quality of the old ones. I won't have a new one again. Steam irons are incontinent and a spritzer bottle does it for me.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

I don't like steam irons either. Like Linda, I spritz.

Jayne, If they do still make GE irons, nothing is made as well as they were years ago. IMO, now products are made to give out in a few years so the public has to buy another one....doesn't matter what it is.

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can only agree that none are as good as they once were. My GE is a steam with an auto-shut off. One of the very first made and it still works. Also have an old Sunbeam without holes that I probably should get out but I do like steam and the burst feature on the newer ones.
    Patsy, one of the "string" was Shark but I didn't care for it.
    Oh, well,until I go shopping the GE works. Jayne

• kay6271
    13 years ago

Does anybody else get the Vermont Country Store catalog? They have an iron in there I've never heard of (gosh, it's older than I am, I guess), though it looks familiar. They usually sell brands of "yesteryear" that people miss.

They actually have 2, one is a dry iron. It says it's great for quilters. The other says "Reliable", but I don't know if that's a brand or an adjective. I'm not happy with my irons, I've heard too much negative about Rowentas & I'm wondering about these ones in the catalog.

Any input? They're both made in China, but sure look like my mother's!

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Well, hummm.

If your old iron still works - WHY are you buying new ones?

Is there a feature you want and don't have?

My relatively new iron died last weekend. I think is was about 5 years old, and was a $25 dollar iron. It worked well for me, and actually I murdered it by knocking it off the ironing board so hard the temperature control broke off.

I went to Target and replaced it with another $25 iron. This is also a good iron, and I expect to get good service from it for many years, until I get clumsy again.

But my "clumsy" isn't why I don't buy a high end iron. My DH bought me the Rowenta he knew I coveted. Stupid $150 iron leaked, broke, no good warranty service.

I want hot, I want steam. An inexpensive iron will usually do that. I've never had one leak (unless I've dropped the poor thing, LOL).

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

For sewing, I have always liked heavy, hot, steam irons - simple. The expensive Rowenta was the worse leaky iron I ever bought. The newish Shark is very hot, good steam, but you have to purge or clean it often, by filling it and holding the steam button continuously over the sink until it is empty - not good for the Hot Flash group! So, I never, ever put steam in it. I also bought a cheapie Black & Decker to use next to the sewing machine-the finish scorched - so I have to use a pressing cloth --I wouldn't have bought it had I realized it had a finish on the soleplate.
    I have a love-hate relationship with irons my whole life. I have usually dropped the ones I love, and somehow the leaky hated ones keep working.

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mary, I have asked that ? myself, why am I replacing it? I guess originally it was because I wanted a heavier iron. I really liked my first Rowenta which lasted about 3 1/2 yrs. but the thermostate died. I intend to find an inexpensive one this time but I do like them a bit heavier. Right now the GE is fine but I am looking. One thing for sure NO more B&D, after 3 failures I quilt. Jayne

• calliope
    13 years ago

To the best of my knowledge there are no steam irons (other than the Orek cordless) made in the U.S. anymore. When my iron bites the dust, I am raiding my mama's stash of heavy old American made irons. There is no logical reason why a country the size of ours can't produce an iron. There are enough of us willing to pay for a well-made iron to make a profit at it. This situation is bizarre.

• itsmesuzq
    13 years ago

I too scratch my head and wonder why an iron won't last longer than a few years and why they leak or just die for some unknown reason. I'm trying travel irons now - I love the size for piecing and the prices are reasonable in most brands. I do wish I had my mother's GE iron as well.

Susan

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Before I retired I wasn't quilting much and my iron lasted for so many years I can't remember how old it was.
    DH bought me an expensive Rowenta for Christmas after I retired and used it more to quilt. It lasted just over one year! I brought back out my really old one. DH says that thing is just too ugly to let people see lol, so he wanted to buy an expensive one for me, thanks but no thanks.
    I did compromise and buy a cheap Sunbeam so he will not be embarrassed when we have company and they want to iron something!
    I love to use steam and I do have to make sure mine gets hot before I try to use it so it doesn't spit.
    But I will NEVER buy an expensive iron again. I agree, we can put a man on the moon, but irons we just can't do!!!!!!!!
    Rosa

• sparkela
    13 years ago

I got a wonderful dry iron from the Vermont Country store catalog.It looks like the irons from the sixties. I use a spray bottle for steam as I can control how much and where. I got tired of spitting and spluttering steam irons--and I've had expensive AND cheap models!

• itsmesuzq
    13 years ago

I had never heard of the Vermont Country Store until yesterday. I saw that iron (the dry one) and immediately bought it! I can't wait for it to get here to see how I like it. I loved browsing the web pages of that store as well. Thanks to Kay for mentioning it, and it sounds like sparkela likes it as well.

Susan

• kay6271
    12 years ago

Bringing this thread back to the top. sparkela & Susan, are you still happy with the Vermont Country Store irons?

And do you miss having steam?

The B&D that scalded me just bit the dust, so I'm back to my old ones that don't really get hot enough.

Also considering Oliso. Anyone have any experience with this one?

Thanks for any input!

Kay

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I feel you pain. I decided this week to get another iron as my old faithful has started to leak. Decided that an inexpensive iron will work as well as any. Dispite my bad luck with BD I happened on one of their outlets and found a classic BD iron that looks almost like my old GE and got it. It was the cheepest of all on display.
    I have seen the Oliso on the various quilt shows but it makes me nervous, I guess I am afraid something will go wrong with the turn off feature. I believe it is one of the higher end as far as cost is concerned.
    Good luck. Jayne

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I'm still using the old Black and Decker than said was too ugly so we bought a new one lol!!!!

AS far as an iron not gettong hot enough I bought a silicon board cover and it is amazing (about $12).

The only complaint is that it is suppossed to adhere to the top and it keeps coming undone. It's ugly but it works very well lol!!!
    Rosa

• kay6271
    12 years ago

Jayne,

Be very careful. The B&D that I got a very bad burn from looked like the old 1950's iron as well. The "faulty feature" is that there is no valve for filling the water chamber for steam. It looks kind of like a funnel and you don't have to push any buttons down to fill it. If yours is like that, do NOT use it as a steam iron. The motion of pushing the iron with your right hand while holding the fabric in your left means that as you stop your right hand for the backstroke, scalding water comes shooting out that funnel ~~ RIGHT ONTO YOUR LEFT HAND! This was a very bad burn, right through the skin to where the underlying tissue bled.

If NO button to fill, it's a serious hazard!

Kay

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the warning. Their is a button to push to fill on the top. I haven't used it yet but will pay close attention when I do. I have nothing but trouble with irons and certianly don't need to get burned. I said I would never get another B&D but this ond looked so simple I took the chance. Jayne

• kay6271
    12 years ago

Thank goodness, I've been so concerned that you bought the same one I had!

Kay