Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

At last...at last...Shakespeare is done!

msmeow
16 years ago

Finally! I feel like I've spent all year working on this quilt! I think I started it in February. It's my niece's high school graduation gift - hey - I'm only a couple months late! I told her I have so much time in it that when she graduates from college I'm just going to put a new label on it. :)

A couple of my quilting designs (still with little bits of paper in some places):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Now I can finally move on to something else!

Donna

Comments (49)

• Nancy Morris
    16 years ago

That is a really beautiful quilt. What a wonderful present. The colors are great. You did a super job.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Wow!! I love it! Well done - she will love it too! I hope to do this pattern one day.

• redpenny
    16 years ago

Beautiful and kitty approved!

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Your quilt is just beautiful and I like the variety and detail quilting you used. What a beautiful gift.
    Jean

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Beautiful and looks like the cat is asking is it done yet??
    Kathi

• sunnycentralfl
    16 years ago

Wonderful! Colors and quilting are great! Congratulations to both of you!

Gwen

• easystitches
    16 years ago

Now that's what I was looking for when I pulled the pictures off Webshots! It's gorgeous!
    I love the multiple colors! it's the prettiest I've seen.
    What a lucky girl!

• ironkit
    16 years ago

Spectacular!

And it has kitty approval, definitely a plus. :)

Your niece is a lucky girl to be getting such a gift! (best I got from my aunts/uncles when I graduated from HS was a $20... I'm envious!).

~ Kit

• grammyp
    16 years ago

What great colors! I may have to make me a (much) smaller version one day.

beverly

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

Very nice, she's going to love it!

Vicky

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Wow, Donna! That's gorgeous!!! I love the colors.

SharonG/FL

• melissa968
    16 years ago

Beautiful, Donna! And I love, love, love all the different colors. Just gorgeous. Lucky girl!
    Melissa

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Donna, your quilt is fabulous. I love the soft coloration and scrappy look. It's wonderful. YOu should be very proud.

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Just beautiful! what a great job on the colors and the quilting.

• User
    16 years ago

Well, sit back and have yourself a big martini, girl. That is some beautiful and complicated piece of artwork you've accomplished.

Your niece is one very lucky graduate.

Dianne

• juttz
    16 years ago

Donna, what made you pick those colors?..I adore this quilt and would love to make it just like yours...did you use a design wall to get the colors just right?...Judy

• fatquarters
    16 years ago

I want to know too. How DID you choose the colors???Your combination and flow is wonderful. I wanta quilt just like you someday. I am going to keep a copy for a someday thing. I didn't even know I wanted to make this pattern but now I do.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Wow...that is all I can say! I love this pattern.

Rebecca

• mary_c_gw
    16 years ago

Beautiful quilt Donna!!

Mary

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Truly beautiful! Gorgeous quilt!!!

• maggie_sue
    16 years ago

What a wonderful quilt, lucky niece!!! I agree with all the rest your color choices are fabulous!!!

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

It's stunning, and I am getting more and more interested in this pattern! Since the 9-to-4 with batiks didn't turn out well, I still need to find something that will look good on our queen-sized bed. I'm interested in how you chose those beautiful colors, too!

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

It's just wonderful. Lucky recipient!

• wendyfaye
    16 years ago

Gorgeous quilt!! I too would like to know how you decided on those colors. Nice, nice, nice.

Faye

• quiltdiva
    16 years ago

Your quilt is just stunning, Donna! I love your colors and you've cinched it for me to get the book. That's one heck of a beautiful quilt!

Kay

• patce
    16 years ago

I remember the name of your lovely quilt,but knew it was beyond my capabilities.Lucky neice! Her quilt will be a heirloom for sure. You can be proud. Pat L

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

Very nice indeed - love the color blending. If you started that in February of this year that's only four months. Doesn't seem like a long time to me with all the work involved.

• Rene54
    16 years ago

Donna, Kudos, the quilt is fantablous, you have done such a great job, the fabrics are great, they gel so easy. Lots of work, you love that girl a lot! Rene

• msmeow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, gosh, you've all got me blushing! Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments!

About the colors...her mom said she likes pastels, and I knew she likes purples, so I just kind of decided to go with the green, purple, blue palette. I bought a few "starter" fat quarters back in Jan. and augmented it with my stash. After I decided to use that dark green all the way around the outside I found out her college colors are green & white!

We showed it to her on Father's Day before the binding was done, and she really loved it. We're going to "officially" give it to her on July 4.

Donna

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I meant to comment on your cat, too. What a gorgeous plume of a tail, and I love the four white feet! Not that you had anything to do with THAT design, lol! Is the cat trying to scent mark the quilt by rubbing it with his/her mouth?

• vasu_texas
    16 years ago

Donna,
    I can't take my eyes off your quilt. The color choices are great and the color placement is very clever. I'm going to save a copy of your pic for future use :-)
    Vasu

• msmeow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ha, Biwako, Penny supervises everything I do! She spends most evenings scooched up against me on the sofa, and when I'm sewing she's usually nearby keeping an eye on everything!

Donna

• mexicomarti
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the colors! Wonderful work.

Kitty wants to know why it is hanging. It is supposed to be flat so she can snooze on it.

Marti in Mexico

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

It is beautiful!!! You certainly did a wonderful job, her site touts this as a quilt for beginners, I did wonder about that. If you had problems I know I would!!!!
    Rosa

• msmeow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rosa, it's a lot of pieces and lots of triangles, so lots of bias edges. I don't know that I would class it exactly as beginner level! After I got all the blocks done I pinned them to my pressing pad to make sure they were the right size and starched them all before I assembled the top. The outer edges are all bias b/c of the triangles, too, so you have to handle it carefully.

Donna

• lucyh_quilts
    16 years ago

That looks great and your colors are beautiful.

• susiequilt
    16 years ago

Wonderful! I don't think I'll ever at that level!
    I hope your niece appreciates that quilt!

• merrymaryp
    16 years ago

Wow, that is just lovely. It really is a piece of art. Great quilt!
    Maryp

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

She will love it. I like the cat design at the bottom of the quilt what an interesting idea.
    Suellen

• kelly4905
    16 years ago

Donna, that is just stunning! What a beautiful quilt and lucky niece you have!

(BTW: congrats on your quilt making the 'cover' of the yahoo group!!)

Kelly (Nebraska)

• mayme
    16 years ago

What a beautiful quilt. That is one lucky niece.
    If she just happens not to like it, I'll be glad to
    take it off your hands! Fat chance!
    Mayme

• fatquarters
    16 years ago

I had to come back and look again. It's just one of those WOW quilts. They don't come around everyday. Some quilts are OK, Some are nice, some are beautiful, but yours is WOW.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, everyone! I was on Judy Martin's website yesterday looking at all the "Shakespeares" people have emailed her. It's amazing how much a little color change can make such a big difference in the look of the same design.

Donna

• quiltdiva
    16 years ago

Donna, I went on her website and ordered the book plus her rulers. Why not. That's one quilt that's a gotta-do. I still can't get over how gorgeous yours is.

Kay

• User
    16 years ago

Just awesome mrsmeow. She'd better keep that quilt under lock & key if she's in a dorm. I love the colors you picked out. What size is it & is the one corner rounded or folded over?

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Donna,

You did an incredible job with that! The colors are fabulous. It's really a magazine picture of a quilt.

Cheryl

• msmeow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marti, I think it's queen size, and no - it's rectangular. I just pinned it to my Roman shades to take a picture and got it off to one side and was too lazy to do it again! :)

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

That is truly a spectacular quilt - love the colors you used! You should be proud of that, and the recipient will be thrilled, I'm sure! Now, maybe you need to make YOU one? I think quilts give off pheromones to cats - mine always shows up to be in the pictures, too.

• bonnie_nmi
    16 years ago

Donna, that is a gorgeous quilt! I love the way the colors flow. Now I'll have to Google Shakespeare quilts to see where the name comes from. Always learning here.

Bonnie

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County