Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Update on Little Girl's Baby Quilt

pirate_girl
12 years ago

Hello Everybody,

Here's an update on the Baby Girl quilt I'd posted in January. Am done w/ the top as far as the inner borders:

Approximating how this border would look:

The corner shot:

Am planning to back it w/ the same blue print as the Border print. Don't know it if I want to make bindings or maybe 'birth" the quilt instead.

Comments (23)

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Very pretty. The colors and layout work nicely. Lucky little girl baby. TFS, Jayne

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

that's so bright and cheery. Love your colors. Nice job.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Really nice bright quilt for the baby girl. Great choice of colors too!

Teresa

• day2day
    12 years ago

It's lovely. Just so sweet and pretty...perfect for a baby girl. TFS.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Perfect colors that say precious baby girl. Nice job.

SharonG/FL-IN

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I had fun playing w/ the colors & block placement. Was trying maybe to balance colors btwn the very blue background & the pops of solid brights to lend it more of a girl feeling (I guess).

Do folks here have opinions pls. about 'birthing it' vs. binding it?

I've never birthed one before & have heard it's often done w/ tied blocks rather than quilted blocks (I wish to do some quilting on this piece). Also it's suggested birthed quilts are a less durable edge(?). Now I'm having doubts about birthing & am thinking, well they take time but maybe bindings are best.

I'm out of the fabric, would have to get a bit more yardage to bind it in 'self' fabric, so one doesn't see it. OR, I could piece a binding from maybe green, pink & yellow; but while that sounds fun (but lots of work), it might also detract from the fun & colorful piecework?

I welcome opinions, TIA

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I am not familiar with the term "birthing" but assume it is sewing the back on and turning. I have never done that but could see nothing wrong with it but I do like the effect of binding. I think that a multipul colored one would work very nicely with your baby quilt as it would draw the colors to the outside, especial if the pieces were cut on a diag. . MHO Jayne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I've birthed lots of quilts and have even done simple quilting on them. I stitch about 1/4inch - 1/2inch in from the edges to hold them together. I actually can't see why the edges of a birthed quilt would be any different than using binding unless the binding is on the bias. I think using the various colors you have in the quilt for the binding would be part of the fun of the quilt.

SharonG/FL-IN

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, folks, I'll read more posts & keep thinking. I need to remind myself I was supposed to get this done FAST. So all else being equal, I should get more background fabric & self bind it.

Hi Nanjayne,

Birthing is a manner of finishing quilts w/out a binding. One turns the whole thing inside out, seams around the outside maybe 1/2" away from the edge as Sharon suggested, leaving an open maybe 6-8" long on one edge. Through this opening, one then turns the whole thing inside out & then hand stitches the opening shut. So it seals shut the quilt w/out a binding.

I saw this used on charity quilts as a high speed finishing technique, much faster than binding.

I'm afraid if I birth it, then want to quilt it, it'll ripple & be all unsmooth (not a word, but you know what I mean) since the outer edge will already be sewn shut.

Um ... hear me thinking???

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I used to "birth" all the quilts I made 30-40 years ago. I called them comforters then. It was a great method for hand tying or large quilting especial on the diagonal. I also used poly batting most probably. Some of these comforters are still around and in use! I would not be concerned at all about the edges wearing faster. "Birthing" looks more casual & comforter looking and drapes differently. I think your pretty quilt deserves a regular binding, even if it takes longer. I like the clean lines of a well finished binding.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Magothy, I think you may be right on this (abt the bindings).

I went out & bought more background fabric last week, so I could make 'self' bindings, that is to say from the background print (which doesn't appear in this shot).

Here's the shot I couldn't find last week when I posted the top finished to inner borders only. (That's curly headed me w/ my Spring haircut.)

I meant to put the borders on last weekend, but pooped out, I've got 2 on them on & I better finish the borders this weekend, I plan on making the sandwich over July 4th weekend (perfect timing, it's supposed to be quite hot in NYC & I need to finish any ironing BEFORE we hit the 90s, as I have no AC & all west windows & it gets mighty HOT).

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here it is, all done at last.

and once laundered, I love how 'quilty' it gets

some more details

inner borders color changes

the back side

colors not quite true here, more light blue than the gray it appears

I'm quite pleased and about to send it off to the Family for whom I made it. They have NO idea it exists, except a month ago, I asked the Dad for their address, said I was preparing something for them & haven't gotten back to him. Wanted to get it boxed up to ship first, hope to do that this week.

Was SOOO exciting to see this after laundering. This is one of the few quilts I've ever washed & dried, I love the effect!

• loisflan
    12 years ago

You did a wonderful job. The quilt is very pretty. Lucky baby. Lois

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

That's a great looking quilt!

• User
    12 years ago

Such a cheerful quilt. I'm sure it will have many years of love being bundled and worn into it. It is beautiful.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Pirate Girl! Nice to see you posting; I haven't seen you for a while and was worried about you!

The quilt turned out great and the quilting is wonderful. It's very precise and perfect for this pattern.

Kate

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to finish something? Nice job, it looks so cuddly and will be loved for sure. TFS Jayne

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Pirate Girl! Great to hear from you! Wonderful looking quilt.
    Did you use the Lazy Angle ruler for this?

The family receiving this quilt will be overjoyed! Kudos for keeping it a secret:)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

That's a lovely quilt. I love the look of it after laundering too.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody, I had soooo much fun making it & designing it as I went. I just started out w/ a star block called 'Friendship Star' & improvised w/ it. The featured print really made it happen, an involved enough print that generated other ideas, like the pop of solid brights, the addition of a little bit of white (the harlequin stars), etc.

I'm almost sorry it's finished, I want to do more ;>)

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Isn't it amazing how much difference it makes when it is quilted??? It's just the icing on the cake.

I love how it turned out, very nice gift, I'm sure they will love it!
    Rosa

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, your praise is very validating. I always know when I like something a lot. It's entirely different to get other folks' feedback, I'm certainly no longer objective AT ALL!

Kate, Magothy, sorry I went too fast to stop & say thanks for asking & noticing I've been mostly gone of late. Largely quilting, gardening, working full time & lately rehabbing a big knee injury.

Still the Quiltworks go on & I'm taking on greater role at my local Quilt Guild making connections & getting to know the upper echelon of the Group.

Magothy, I'm not familiar w/ the Lazy Angle ruler, will have to look it up. Just used a 2 piece template after rotary cutting strips & fussy cut backgrounds to color match like yellow accents around yellow stars, lavender kitties around purple stars, pink piggies around pink stars, etc.

Do any of you happen to have any personal connections w/ folks at pattern companies? Am considering trying to offer this pattern commercially, if I can figure out how to go about it.

Hi Dan the man,

Loved the hands clapping, really made me smile!!!

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

Wonderful quilt! They'll love it!