Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Bear Quilt

Posted by kiendu (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 17:33

This is a queen size rag quilt, made on order for a couple who love to hunt black bear in Northern Wisconsin. It was 16 2/3 yards cottons and flannels, filled with warm & natural batting, and the backing was the black and white check that looks a little bit grayish in this picture. The polka dotted looking fabric is actually black bear paw prints on tan.

It was kinda fun to make.. and they LOVED it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Bear Quilt

What's not to love. Very clever .
Theresa

o

Wow, that quilt must weigh a ton! It's very nice - I've never seen a rag quilt that was anything but squares.

Donna

o

I think it's a beautiful quilt!

Best to you and yours,
Sandra

o

What a great choice of fabrics to go with the bear panels. You did a terrific job.

o

Very nice! Pattern, fabrics, layout - it's creative and perfectly fits the theme. Makes me want to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea, it looks so cozy.

Kate

o

Nice layout, perfect fabrics...Well done!
V.

o

That is a beauty. Nice job, of course they loved it.

beverly

o

One of the nicest rag quilts I have seen. You did a wonderful job with choice of pattern, fabric, and execution. I agree that it much be heavy but just right for those cold winters. TFS

o

Yes, it was heavy. But it does get awfully cold here in Wisconsin... I don't think we can make a quilt that's TOO warm! LOL! Thank you all for nice compliments!

I rarely make a rag quilt that's only squares... always has to be something different in it. I always figure that it's going to cost me about the same amount of money, so why not put the extra effort and make it more unique. And it's fun to think of a new idea that I haven't tried yet.

I use "pillow panels" for a lot of large quilts. Deer, Bear, Horses, Landscapes... so many to pick from. They become 16x16 blocks, so yes, they're big.. but it adds a theme, and goes a lot quicker for me! :)

Thank you all again! I'm working on the next one, got two orders for ones just like this after this one got passed around by the new owners. Pay's for part of my expensive hobby!

o

I've never made a rag quilt, but this one's a beauty! Of course they loved it, what's not to love about it??! You'll probably be inundated with more orders than just two after going through another hard freezing winter. lol

SharonG/FL

o

Simply beautiful!!

o

AWESOME !!!! I love it :)

o

Love-Love- your quilt! This is making me rethink rag quilts and their layouts. You made a perfect quilt for your bear theme.

o

Gorgeous!!! I love making rag quilts ,but they have started to hurt my hands.

I have 'ragged' some bindings on smaller quilts and I like the way it looks too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here