Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiendu

Black Bear Quilt

kiendu
9 years ago

This is a queen size rag quilt, made on order for a couple who love to hunt black bear in Northern Wisconsin. It was 16 2/3 yards cottons and flannels, filled with warm & natural batting, and the backing was the black and white check that looks a little bit grayish in this picture. The polka dotted looking fabric is actually black bear paw prints on tan.

It was kinda fun to make.. and they LOVED it!

Comments (14)

• nannykins
    9 years ago

What's not to love. Very clever .
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Wow, that quilt must weigh a ton! It's very nice - I've never seen a rag quilt that was anything but squares.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I think it's a beautiful quilt!

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• loisflan
    9 years ago

What a great choice of fabrics to go with the bear panels. You did a terrific job.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Very nice! Pattern, fabrics, layout - it's creative and perfectly fits the theme. Makes me want to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea, it looks so cozy.

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Nice layout, perfect fabrics...Well done!
    V.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

That is a beauty. Nice job, of course they loved it.

beverly

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

One of the nicest rag quilts I have seen. You did a wonderful job with choice of pattern, fabric, and execution. I agree that it much be heavy but just right for those cold winters. TFS

• kiendu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it was heavy. But it does get awfully cold here in Wisconsin... I don't think we can make a quilt that's TOO warm! LOL! Thank you all for nice compliments!

I rarely make a rag quilt that's only squares... always has to be something different in it. I always figure that it's going to cost me about the same amount of money, so why not put the extra effort and make it more unique. And it's fun to think of a new idea that I haven't tried yet.

I use "pillow panels" for a lot of large quilts. Deer, Bear, Horses, Landscapes... so many to pick from. They become 16x16 blocks, so yes, they're big.. but it adds a theme, and goes a lot quicker for me! :)

Thank you all again! I'm working on the next one, got two orders for ones just like this after this one got passed around by the new owners. Pay's for part of my expensive hobby!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I've never made a rag quilt, but this one's a beauty! Of course they loved it, what's not to love about it??! You'll probably be inundated with more orders than just two after going through another hard freezing winter. lol

SharonG/FL

• susie53_gw
    9 years ago

Simply beautiful!!

• toomuchglass
    9 years ago

AWESOME !!!! I love it :)

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Love-Love- your quilt! This is making me rethink rag quilts and their layouts. You made a perfect quilt for your bear theme.

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I love making rag quilts ,but they have started to hurt my hands.

I have 'ragged' some bindings on smaller quilts and I like the way it looks too.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County