Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Quilt labels & Bubble Jet 2000 help needed.

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

I bought the Bubble Jet Rinse & The Bubble Jet Set 2000 a while ago.

Do you use it when making Quilt labels with your inkjet printers? I thought I saved instructions from this forum that mary_c posted , but I cannot find them.

I can always follow the directions on the bottle ~LOL~ that would be too simple :). I thought there was a tip for success. Please help.......

Comments (10)

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I have used the Jet Set 2000 (not the rinse). I follow the instructions on the bottle, and as long as I follow ALL the instructions, it works just fine!

You should be fine!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Oh, I just follow the directions on the bottle, and it works fine.

Perhaps the "hint" I had was the type of freezer paper I used - it's heavier than the stuff on a roll. It's also precut in 8.5x11" sheets, so it goes through the printer beautifully.

I think Nancy's Notions may now sell this, but I got mine from C. Jenkins Necktie Company. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: C. Jenkins

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Well, I just learned something!

The C. Jenkins is Cathy Jenkins, and she started out making custom handmade neckties. She INVENTED Bubble Jet Set! It's a pretty interesting website.

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was just reading about using the Bubble set on another website - FAQ - link below-

I have a front load washer, which I think never uses enough water for some things.

I was going to use Kona Premium white muslin for the labels - I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks Jennifer & Mary.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ Bubble set 2000

• User
    12 years ago

I've just been making labels on muslin using my regular printer. What's the advantage of Bubble set 2000?

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As I understand it, strictly from reading, the Bubble set 2000 sets the ink on the images, and makes for a brighter, sharper image. I also washed in the Bubble Rinse that removes the extra dyes.

You are supposed to wait 30 minutes before washing - I did not on one of the labels and some of the wording blurred. I also forgot to remove the freezer paper - That's what happens when you are trying to cook dinner and make labels at the same time - different floors & outside. Even with that huge mistake the label looks very good, but I will make a new one correctly. Fortunately I cut the labels apart, so only did one wrong. The other one is perfect & I used magenta ink!

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Trust me, if you don't use the Bubble JetSet just like it says, you lose your writing/ink when you wash the label. I still have 2 labels to replace those on quilts finished years and years ago that faded and blurred when I washed them. Lazy me hasn't stopped to replace the labels.

Being able to use the printer gives labels a real professional look to a finished quilt.

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jennifer~you sound anything but Lazy ~LOL~

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Jennifer, you're not lazy in the least.

Dian57, jet printer ink will wash out of your labels. Two or three washes and gone! The Bubble Jet Set adds a mordant to the fabric to allow the ink to bond and set.

It works well, and I much prefer soaking my own fabric and using it as opposed to buying the pretreated "printer ready fabric sheets". I've used several brands of printer-ready fabric, and I find them stiff, unwieldy, and not something I want in my quilts.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

MRG & Mary~

Oh, I can most definitely be lazy! Especially if it's something I don't want to do! lol Hand sewing labels isn't a favorite thing to do, so I can't motivate myself to re-do it!

They'll get done some day!